Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,617 Posts
In case we were still wondering what's the real benefit of hydrogen cars

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

In case you hit the paywall:

Hyundai says hydrogen cars will help protect jobs

Hyundai is urging manufacturers to produce hydrogen vehicles in order to protect hundreds of thousands of jobs in the supply chain that would otherwise be at risk from a shift to battery-driven electric cars.

Carmakers are striving to produce cleaner vehicles to hit stringent emissions targets that come into force in the EU in 2020, with the bulk of global efforts being poured into battery electric vehicles.

Hyundai, one of the companies backing hydrogen power as an alternative to battery technology, says switching to hydrogen also prevents the destruction of component jobs that would be lost by moving to electric cars.

More than 600,000 jobs in Germany alone are at risk from the switch from internal combustion engine vehicles to battery cars, according to German car industry lobby group VDA, largely because electric vehicles have significantly fewer moving parts.

Hydrogen fuel cell cars, which like electric vehicles also produce zero emissions, have a far higher number of components because the working of a fuel cell engine closely resembles petrol engines. Many of the parts needed can be produced by existing suppliers to the industry.

“Hydrogen technology means people who make internal combustion engines can still have jobs,” said Sae Hoon Kim, Hyundai’s director of fuel cell projects. “We have 300 major suppliers [for the hydrogen car], and most of them are our conventional vehicle suppliers.”

UBS calculated that there are 136 moving parts inside the engine of a VW Golf, compared with 16 for an electric Chevrolet Bolt. Hyundai says about 160 parts are needed for its latest hydrogen car.

The South Korean carmaker has entered a partnership with German group Audi to spread the cost of developing the technology and reach more potential buyers with the technology.

“We have to increase the market for hydrogen, or else we will not have a future,” Mr Kim said.
So the benefit is that they're complicated and have an expensive supply chain?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
So the benefit is that they're complicated and have an expensive supply chain?
...and more likely to lock you into their service and parts departments.

FCEVs have both high voltage and working with highly compressed flammable gas to consider, so there’s no way most people will be allowed to work on this, or be supplied parts. They have a duty of care don’t you know!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,617 Posts
...and more likely to lock you into their service and parts departments.

FCEVs have both high voltage and working with highly compressed flammable gas to consider, so there’s no way most people will be allowed to work on this, or be supplied parts. They have a duty of care don’t you know!
The combination of those two almost puts them into jet aircraft levels of maintenance and care.....!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
A cynical conspiracist couldn't come up with a better story than that. Unbelievable.
So EVs are a problem for the oil industry and the after-sales industry. Got it.
Nobody likes to see job losses of course, but if there's one thing that the history of technological progress has shown, is that you can't prop up obsolete industries when they are usurped by a disruptive technology.

Untold jobs have been lost to the progress of technology - at one time there was a high demand for people who built horse carriages and tended to horses, not much demand there now thanks to cars...

At one time telephone exchanges were full of hundreds of human operators - today all replaced by electronic switching.

At one time all production work in factories was carried out by hand, today a large amount of factory automation exists using robots to do a lot of the assembly.

The list of displaced jobs is practically endless. Should we have propped up the horse and carriage businesses ? Propped up the telephone operators unions ? etc...

Change is inevitable, and only companies who adapt will survive, those that don't adapt will die or find themselves obsolete.

Most (but not all) jobs that are lost by the progress of technology tend to be either unskilled, tedious or manual work, however technology opens up many opportunities for highly skilled, less tedious jobs. So the general trend over time is towards more skilled jobs and less unskilled jobs, which I think on balance is a good thing.

Meaning that anyone working in at risks industries, and especially if their job is a relatively unskilled or manual job needs to be thinking about up-skilling or retraining before it's too late and they find their entire industry obsolete.

EV's are only one of the many drivers in technology that are causing these shifts in job skill requirements. The internet is another key driver that is disrupting many industries and has been for 20 years now.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Didn't the union kick off big time in South Korea about BEVs?

As for jobs and propping up failing industries, never underestimate the will of a politician to accommodate if there is a vote for them in it at the next election.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,353 Posts
The list of displaced jobs is practically endless. Should we have propped up the horse and carriage businesses ? Propped up the telephone operators unions ? etc...
Personally, I would happily throw my hat in with the Amish, who got as far as 1860 then declined to accept new technology after that to ruin their lives.

(....only problem is I am allergic to horses!....)

Early Victorian technology is quite sufficient! A bit of plumbing, hygiene, lighting and heating. T'was ever enough.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Personally, I would happily throw my hat in with the Amish, who got as far as 1860 then declined to accept new technology after that to ruin their lives.

so you will be declining

antibiotics
surgery with anesthesia
telephones
electricity
modern hospitals should your lack of vaccinations cause an issue or a horse kicks you

.... and indeed the internet ?

Bye then :D

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I see they're trumpeting their Land's End to John O'Groats by Mirai triumph on Facebook.
Other direction.

The leg from John O'Groats to Aberdeen was barely within range, so they started the trip full. I wonder how they got to the start? Flatbed is my guess but for some reason they don't say.

The leg south from Aberdeen was supported by a mobile hydrogen fuelling station at Sunderland (but it's alright they say as they're planning to build one there soon).

The final leg to Lands End was again at the limit of range, so presumably flatbed home.

My guess is the mobile truck only supplies half pressure. If so it wouldn't work either to give a full tank at the start or to get home in one leg from Lands End, but of course that's only a guess.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I just dont get it. Seriously the furthest I would consider driving a car that can't be filled at home regularly to refuel is maybe 6-8 miles and preferably much less.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Also 30,000 cars a year by 2020 for a company that makes cars by the million shows even they don’t believe in hydrogen. The cynic in me thinks it is just another way of selling more ICE cars for longer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts