Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

The transfer of the Telsa Model S/X's guts to another vehicle

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Royz 
#1 ·
I want to know if anyone else had the ran into the thought of transferring the guts of a tesla Model X or S into another vehicle, like a camper van, or any vehicle. The main points I'd like to discuss is, if anybody thinks there would software or mechanical blocks to prevent this from happening.

I personally have seen that the Tesla power train can be ran without it's native computer, however I'm talking about a direct transfer of components rather than a ground up hack.

Cheers!

#4 ·
Didn't Tesla remotely disable his project anyway? They won't let you do this sort of thing. Imagine plugging something like that in to a supercharger and it causing a fire. Tesla ain't going to let it happen.

#8 ·
There is a guy in the USA called Jack Rickard who posts Youtube videos on his hacking of the Tesla Model S drive train. His conclusion is that the drive train (ie front or rear axle configuration) can fairly easily be used in a formerly ICE car, but so much of the car electronics is closely integrated so it would be an all or nothing exercise for the battery and other electronics.
The key problem being getting Tesla to certify the car once finished - Tesla have a track record of being non helpful to anyone mucking about with their cars - as in the guy that tried to build a stretch model S. Fairly reasonable given the potential for bad publicity if not done to the highest standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.