Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Leaf on Saturday from Chorley Nissan then started the journey back home to Cornwall over a couple of days. The first trip of 126 miles went well, no charging problems and I made the most of the Ecotricity superfast chargers, doing small hops from Preston to Newark and with only one small hiccup which was the IKEA postcode didn’t deliver me to IKEA...but I found it eventually.

The second trip was from Newark to The Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall - 352 miles and all the stations worked which was nice!

I also visited two Nissan dealers, Arbury Bromgrove and Vospers Plymouth, thank you for the coffee and the charge and finally C&C Taxis at St Austell which without them I couldn’t have finished my trip. They went beyond the call of duty by opening up for me on a cold wet dark night in December, a big thanks to you! (and congratulations on winning the Cornwall Sustainability Awards).

What I have found as well as owning a great car is that I have now joined a great community. Without exception everyone on the trip was helpful and nice and I met a few other Leaf drivers who passed on some tips and advice. I didn’t quite expect to become an ambassador for the Leaf so soon. At every charge stop I was approached by people asking questions and looking for information etc. I have been used to it a bit as I own a couple of classic cars but still, it was a bit of a surprise.

The true journey starts now but it got off to a good start!

£88 diesel going north!

£0 in charging costs, going south, long may it continue, although I suspect it won't for much longer....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice to meet you and thank you for the kind words. I think you are correct that Ecotricity will start to charge for charging next year. Just call if you need it again.

Reactions: Stag/leaf

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can really relate to this, I should be picking up my leaf next week but I test drove one for a week. I love the car but I was surprised how quickly I became an 'mini sales person' for it, many people commenting that I should be paid commission!

I drove from South Wales to Oxford and back again using the fast charge points on the M4 and can throughly recommend the points and the car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up my Leaf on Saturday from Chorley Nissan then started the journey back home to Cornwall over a couple of days. The first trip of 126 miles went well, no charging problems and I made the most of the Ecotricity superfast chargers, doing small hops from Preston to Newark and with only one small hiccup which was the IKEA postcode didn’t deliver me to IKEA...but I found it eventually.

The second trip was from Newark to The Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall - 352 miles and all the stations worked which was nice!

I also visited two Nissan dealers, Arbury Bromgrove and Vospers Plymouth, thank you for the coffee and the charge and finally C&C Taxis at St Austell which without them I couldn’t have finished my trip. They went beyond the call of duty by opening up for me on a cold wet dark night in December, a big thanks to you! (and congratulations on winning the Cornwall Sustainability Awards).

What I have found as well as owning a great car is that I have now joined a great community. Without exception everyone on the trip was helpful and nice and I met a few other Leaf drivers who passed on some tips and advice. I didn’t quite expect to become an ambassador for the Leaf so soon. At every charge stop I was approached by people asking questions and looking for information etc. I have been used to it a bit as I own a couple of classic cars but still, it was a bit of a surprise.

The true journey starts now but it got off to a good start!

£88 diesel going north!

£0 in charging costs, going south, long may it continue, although I suspect it won't for much longer....
Nice one, will keep and eye out for another LEAF on the road down here. Felt lonely back in early 2011 when we got ours. Now on to our 2nd one...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow Jeremy you where there in the early days,not many charge points in those dark and distant days:)
Joking apart it's something lots more people will have to get on board with...the next car we buy will definitely be electric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Indeed, although lack of charge points to be honest has never been a problem. I think of Cornwall like an island anyway and if you've had to drive 30 miles in any direction you're either in the sea or where you need to be! The LEAF range has never been a problem and we're really liking the new version with aircon you can just leave on and forget about.

Longer range EVs will just reduce the requirement for public charge points IMO as the overnight "charge at home" option will cover almost all use cases - all the fretting over ubiquitous low(ish)-kw-output public charge infrastructure may prove groundless in the end.

How many years before the UK hits the tipping point for EV uptake - not long I hope. Increasingly quiet, smoke and NOx free cities, lots of e-goods and e-public transport, wireless charging, lots and lots of cycling etc? EVs also used for grid power smoothing.

Exciting times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exciting times,never a truer word said,especially for me,I work in the motor trade..AA Patrol in Manchester and only have a technical love if ICE cars now,but after "discovering" EV's I'm hooked,find myself telling everyone I meet about lecy cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts