Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a theory why the big UK energy companies aren't investing money in a rapid charge network?

If (or should I say when) EV's succeed ICE cars, we need a massive rapid charge network. This is the key for people to switch to EVs. There needs to be an abundance of rapid chargers and public chargers.

Now I'm sat here thinking why don't the big energy companies at least contribute some rapid chargers in key areas. None of this RFID rubbish. Just slot your credit card in and pay the 35p/Kwh, like I used to do at the pay at the pump petrol stations.

You would think the energy companies would WANT EVs to succeed. After all, the more EVs on the road the more cars will be charging at domestic properties, the more electricity is then used at these properties = more profit! Taking the money away from the oil companies.

What's everyone else's theory on why the big energy companies are slow in promoting this new era in transportation?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Good points - it seems to make perfect sense. I think they may be moving in this direction though.
A couple of weeks ago I stopped to charge at a rapid on m1 and met another Zoe there. This car was plastered with npower logos. I waited for the driver to return and was told that npower have bought a fleet and are installing chargers in their company car parks. I was told that they'd just won a contract to install rapids in Sheffield (eg meadowhall shopping centre). The guy wanted to hear my views on costs of charging too - so I get the feeling that toes are being dipped in the water.

I couldn't help pointing out the irony of seeing an npower car being charged at an ecotricity charger though! Wish I'd taken a photo...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that's the case if they are moving in that direction.

That is a bit ironic! Ecotricity are the only energy company making the effort. Good luck to them too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As energy companies don't want to invest in maintaining / upgrading existing or new power stations I can't see that they would be interested in branching out...

That said, the 5 new rapids just installed in Hampshire and to go live in the next few days are branded as SSE...

Originally HCC told me they would be installed and operated by SSE and even at the current market price for use they didn't expect they would ever make and profit.

As I said the units are branded as SSE but are to be operated by 'charge point services' (who also run electric highway for Ecotricity it seems). Anyway, quite what SSEs involvement now isn't really clear...

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Does anyone have a theory why the big UK energy companies aren't investing money in a rapid charge network?

If (or should I say when) EV's succeed ICE cars, we need a massive rapid charge network. This is the key for people to switch to EVs. There needs to be an abundance of rapid chargers and public chargers.

Now I'm sat here thinking why don't the big energy companies at least contribute some rapid chargers in key areas. None of this RFID rubbish. Just slot your credit card in and pay the 35p/Kwh, like I used to do at the pay at the pump petrol stations.

You would think the energy companies would WANT EVs to succeed. After all, the more EVs on the road the more cars will be charging at domestic properties, the more electricity is then used at these properties = more profit! Taking the money away from the oil companies.

What's everyone else's theory on why the big energy companies are slow in promoting this new era in transportation?
I absolutely agree with this and think Ecotricity have really stolen a march while the others probably spent time weighing up options.

The electric companies make a fortune from refineries too though I'm sure, making petrol takes a HELL of a lot of energy!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We're trying to write a cheque for £16bn for a new power station if only people'd let us.

The business case for Rapid Charging is so catastrophically bad that if an already-under-scrutiny energy supplier wasted* money doing it, it would make the Daily Mail overheat with excitement.

*View of most energy consumers

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The business case for Rapid Charging is so catastrophically bad that if an already-under-scrutiny energy supplier wasted* money doing it, it would make the Daily Mail overheat with excitement.

*View of most energy consumers
What a sad reflection of our society that corporate decisions are risk-assessed against how the Daily Mail is likely to report them!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Since when did the big six take any notice of consumers?
Shareholders maybe.
It was a smart move all six chiming in unison calling Cameron's bluff by outing him on the cost to them of green as if that is what was causing the bills to rise incessantly.
In true Cameron fashion he did a quick U turn and the great green roll out was stridently rolled back to shut them and the pesky electorate up (costs quietly met by general taxiation)!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Since when did the big six take any notice of consumers?
Shareholders maybe.
I'm pretty sure like a lot of very big companies, they (the directors) don't really give a stuff about their shareholders either... As long as the directors mates are on the board of remuneration and they can swing stupid pay/bonuses life is sweet... o_O

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Dean Hamer most manufacturers won't put a card machine on it as idiots like to put chewing gum in it and most are unmanned unlike petrol stations. The energy companies have future power departments that look into EV demand. They are very aware of it as having an EV is like them having another house - they both use a few quid of power a day. May be they are hoping the car manufacturers and govt incentives will drive the mkt without them having to invest in rapids. They are probably too busy mis selling products to care!
Was in your neck of the woods yesterday sorting out a leaf owner. Said 6.6kw leaf didn't come with an evse just a type 1/2 - nissan saving a few quid there then!

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's part of the paradox of the modern world. As with all companies, The energy firms exist for one reason only, to make money for their shareholders.

@Paul - Ecotricity are in a different position. They have no shareholder or dividends and all their profits go back into supporting their mission. This is not the case with the 'big 6'. This means they can do something they believe in, not something that will maximize return on investment, share price or dividend.

@Mark J Constable - trying to write a cheque for 16bn for a project many commentators suggest will cost over 20bn, with a strike price or nearly £90/MW/h - pretty much double the current wholesale price... If the tax payer will pick up the bill for the overrun and pay for the waste to be processed the shareholders will be very happy.

@Chris Everitt - this nearly caught me out when I had a loaner for the day when mine was being serviced. I has to borrow an EVSE from a workmate so I could get back to the Nissan dealer!

·
Registered
585 Posts
With a strike price or nearly £90/MW/h - pretty much double the current wholesale price... If the tax payer will pick up the bill for the overrun and pay for the waste to be processed the shareholders will be very happy.
The directors will be even happier. Big pats on the back all round, followed by a massive pay rise and a fat bonus for being so clever and they'll all be gone in three years before any of it hits the fan...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts