Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

For fast AC charging in an 'Express' (near park entrance/exit) car park, I would pay...

• £0.00

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • £0.01 - £0.10 per kWh

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • £0.11 - £0.20 per kWh

Votes: 49 49.5%
  • Flat fee of £5 for a full charge

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Flat fee of £7.50 for a full charge

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Flat fee of £10 for a full charge

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Industry Expert
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm George from POD Point and I help UK attractions install charging stations for visitors.

I'm on a mission to make sure all major attractions have sufficient EV charging infrastructure; enabling you to visit and return to a fully charged car after your day out.

It's important to understand how important having this facility at a Theme Park would be, therefore, I have a question.

I will be sharing this data with senior stakeholders at major theme parks and would appreciate your feedback.

nb. Alton Towers charge £16 for express parking without an EV charging facility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The biggest issue with theme park charging is that as a guest, one would expect to leave their car there for the duration of their visit. You'd better serve the public with a great number of Level 2 chargers instead of Chademo ports.

Obviously, we prefer free service (with admission price).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
This is definitely much wanted infrastructure - these theme parks attract visitors from far enough away that many will need a charge, and charging slowly during the day is much more convenient than having to stop for a rapid en-route.

However, I don't like the sound of this being in 'Express' carparks. I've ticked both £0 and 11-20p/kWh, since on the one hand I'm happy to pay for charging, but on the other hand I don't want to be forced into a premium carpark. If you make me go into the premium carpark just to get charging, I'd expect it to be included in the premium; put it in the main carpark and I'm happy to pay for it.

Don't forget about the hotel carpark too.

I'm glad you aren't proposing charging by the hour, as at this sort of location the car needs to stay parked all day (and even if you were to incentivise me to move it once full, everybody else will have already arrived by then). Does need lots of posts though, with power sharing as many people won't need to charge all day, but some will need to charge at a decent rate (all 3kW points would not be a good idea).

(PS. I've been a regular customer at Legoland in the past)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Nobody expects a free ride.

A dedicated EV charging area, that is also located conveniently close to the park entrance, would be welcomed by most and they would be willing to pay an enhanced parking fee. For instance in the example you give above, a fee increase from £16 to £20 would be acceptable to cover preferential parking and access to a dedicated pre-booked charger for the day. In return I would expect to see a system of pre-booking that charger on line before the visit. Without such confirmation of the ability to charge sufficient to get the family back home no-one would risk it.

A number of non bookable chargers at the ordinary larger car park area would be very useful, and again could be subject to a small extra fee over the normal car park charge in return for an assurance that they won't be ICE'd.

Including charge fees with parking fees would avoid any issues over RFID and app starting processes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Disneyworld in Florida has a good example. They have a number of destination chargers at three of their locations and are planning more. They are situated in the main parking lots and it costs $0.35 / kWh with a minimum $1.50. That's on top of the normal parking fees.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
This is something that would be more than welcome. Theme parks are one of those "special" locations that attract visitors from great distances. This means that EV drivers will often be turning up empty, or close to, and needing a charge before returning. They are also locations where you really, really don't want to have to tell the family "sorry kids, all the chargers are full / broken, so we will have to head back home (the long way) instead of having our day out". And... the majority of guests will plan these trips well, including buying tickets etc. online. Reserving a guaranteed charging space online is not a big deal in these cases!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,877 Posts
However, I don't like the sound of this being in 'Express' carparks. I've ticked both £0 and 11-20p/kWh, since on the one hand I'm happy to pay for charging, but on the other hand I don't want to be forced into a premium carpark. If you make me go into the premium carpark just to get charging, I'd expect it to be included in the premium; put it in the main carpark and I'm happy to pay for it.
Plus one for me.(y) Add in - you must prevent non EV cars from parking on them.

Agree with @Hitstirrer about paying a small fee to reserve a charger.

It has to be remembered that you are paying a premium price just to visit the attraction. Most families will not see much change from £150.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Being able to pre-book a charger will encourage people to come. A choice of 3.3 and 7kW posts would be preferable, those with bigger batteries could then get a decent charge during their stay; plus a 13A socket that is powered even if the charge post fails, a driver can then use his 'brick' charger to ensure a charge.
I have voted for a fair charge to charge. However, to make it free and signpost this facility to all drivers would serve to encourage EV ownership

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great to have the opportunity to charge at a theme park. It's an obvious place for good quality destination charging.

A theme park only exists because it can attract visitors, and those visitors typically pay a substantial chunk of money for and during their visit. Car parking is not cheap, especially in the most convenient spaces, and may well be seen as a profit centre in its own right. Electric car charging is never going to make a significant contribution to this; a cost that largely reflects the electricity used seems appropriate. Paying much more may appear to contribute to profits, but I suspect that could easily be outweighed if it gives the impression of a rip-off fee on something for which price comparisons are easy and there's little added value. So, something similar to daytime home charging - maybe 15-20p/kWh - would seem fair.

What would I pay more than that for? First and foremost, being certain of availability, which woud mean both pre-booking a chargepoint and a redundancy in supply (so that, if my booked post wasn't working, I could be sure of an alternative). A less clear case for a premium is certainty that, over an agreed time, the car would be charged by an agreed amount or to an agreed level (probably full, for me with my 19kWh battery, but as bigger batteries arrive other levels might be appropriate) - however, that arrangement has big advantages for the venue as well (permitting the charging speed to be varied to manage total load, and allowing the charge to be calculated and paid in advance along with the rest of the booking), so maybe that's just a win-win situation that balances out.

I wouldn't expect to be forced into the most expensive car park in order to charge my car: in effect, that would make the parking premium into part of my charging fee. Or, to put it the other way round, if I'm paying for a premium car park then charging should be part of the premium service, but I should have the option of standard car park with available charging (whether explicitly paid for or not).

·
Super Moderator
11,438 Posts
I wouldn't expect to be forced into the most expensive car park in order to charge my car: in effect, that would make the parking premium into part of my charging fee. Or, to put it the other way round, if I'm paying for a premium car park then charging should be part of the premium service, but I should have the option of standard car park with available charging (whether explicitly paid for or not).
This. Some number of EV drivers are looking for low cost options.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,877 Posts
This. Some number of EV drivers are looking for low cost options.
We all have different sized pockets. Mine are quite small. A trip to Alton Towers, just 10 miles away, has to be considered carefully, price wise.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
I've voted for a flat rate because I don't want to phaff around with Apps or RFID cards I just want the charging bundled in with the cost of parking for the day, ideally I would be able to book an EV charging spot on-line, lots of 3-7kW chargers would be better than a few Rapids.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is that because it's percent of respondents (presumably 20 thus far), but each respondent is allowed either one or two votes?
Could be but either way it should total all votes and then divide by no. per option to work out? Thats the problem with these plug and play polls you lose out on the reliability of being part of a subscription ;)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Being able to pre-book a charger will encourage people to come. A choice of 3.3 and 7kW posts would be preferable, those with bigger batteries could then get a decent charge during their stay; plus a 13A socket that is powered even if the charge post fails, a driver can then use his 'brick' charger to ensure a charge.
These are good ideas. For this sort of cost parking, a 13 amp socket should be provided as default for free.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Knowing theme parks (whose owners I'm convinced spent too long playing rollercoaster tycoon when younger!) they will see EV charging as another cash grab opportunity. If they could add salt to it somehow to make you more thirsty, you can bet they would.
I see it as part of a premium service or indeed inclusive in their typically extortionate parking fees - but I would bet that they see it as an add-on for as much as they think they can get. Thus I've voted £0.00.

Edit: It's important to note that I wouldn't pay £16 for parking at alton towers, EV charging or no EV charging. That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think you will be better off with 7kw charge points.
Most visitors will be at a park for at least 4hrs
You could even get away with some 3kw points
Indeed this - fast AC charging is a total waste, who is going to stay less than 4 hours? I guess that's one of the key questions here - what is the average stay and standard deviation? I would guess around 7 hours, with SD being about...2 hours? If you're paying that much you're in for the day surely.

So 3.6kW posts would do, but 7kW if you want to be all fancy. I guess if you're betting on 50kWh vehicles then 7kW is the obvious choice - full charge in 6 hours and a bit. No point thinking beyond that, they'll be obsolete surely. Look at the plugged in midands posts...already dated and falling apart, much to my dismay.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My personal thought is to install a hundred 13a sockets at the far end of the car park, and make them free to use.

Then maybe also add a couple of rapids at £6 per 30 mins, for those who need more juice and willing to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts