Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

So I have rang VW and ordered original parts from them for my next upcoming service. I have a trusted mechanic who's going to look after my GTE.

I've seen a lot of discussion about the maintenance of the hybrid engine, whether it is a belt or chain, whether the engine oil is 502 or 504 or whether the engine requires some special treatment. I hope I will be able to clarify some things for some people.

Belt or chain: Belt (Looks way thinner than the one on my last 2L diesel engine from Peugeot)

Oil: 504 (this is what I got from VW garage). It's a Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 Fully Synthetic with VW504/507

I have attached a picture of the invoice as well. The total cost of the parts is €335.37. My mechanic quoted me around €300 for labour. This would include oil change, oil filter, timing belt, tensioner, roller and air filter.

Am I saving much money doing it this way? Well let's see. VW quotes €499 for belt change and €199 for oil change. I would assume there would be some extra little costs involved of say €50. Going through VW would cost around €750. Doing it my own way would cost around €640. Is it worth it? I'll leave it to you to decide.

If you have any questions about the parts that I bought let me know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys,

As an update, the parts plus the labor cost me a total of €593.03.

Considering that VW charges €199 for oil change and €499 for timing belt kit I have saved around €100 euro.

Probably would have been slightly cheaper if the mechanic ordered the parts himself (food for thought for the next service) but overall it is doable outside VW service.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts