Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg
I was there waiting for over a hour they were not plugged in, and in the end security made the ampera move, but the Nissan was not charging just parked there.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
As I understand it the Ampera couldn't plug in there even if it tried, so parking there is just wrong. (I parked my volt in that same space but that was before the charger was turned on, I wouldn't do it now.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi, the Ampera was me. I'm sorry for inconveniencing you.

I turned up at Ikea and both spaces were empty. I had never connected to the charger there, so thought I would give it a go - we were just popping in for a picture frame.

I searched for ages and couldn't find my Ecotricity card, and in the end I gave up and nipped in for the frame... We were back at the car within 20 mins.

We were coming down the escalator as the tannoy message went out - and I spoke to you to apologise. I was dumb enough to think that all of the Ecotricity posts had a Type 2 connector on - thank you for putting me right on that!

So yes, I am genuinely sorry - it was part mistake and part poor judgement - I won't block a rapid charger again... Promise :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol it's ok you were nice enough to say sorry, after my charge 40min the Nissan was still there.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had never used my Ecotricity card, and with all the Chargemaster crap I thought I'd see how it worked in case I ever wanted to use it... Now I know! :p

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Julian, tops marks for fessing up.

I think this will always be an issue at IKEA locations... either ICEs or EVs. IKEA is just not a suitable location for rapid charging IMO. Many people have said that they are not prepared to wait with their car while charging at IKEA so there will always be a risk of ICEing because IKEA car parks are always busy or EVing because the EV driver has just "nipped in for a thingy". The problem is that we all know... you can't just "nip in and out" of an IKEA no matter how much you try!!!

My opinion is clear on this issue... physical barriers and proper policing are the only way to stop charging bays being blocked. Unfortunately I can't see either happening so we had simply better get used to having the charging bays blocked especially at IKEAs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
we all make mistakes. I'm starting to think I need a few different printed items in me to use in different situations. The leaf driver you'd expect is more likely to understand rapid charging (though I know it's new to some) so leaving it parked there is really not on. I wonder if the charger had failed? Else would they really be parked and yet not be plugged in? Or perhaps another leaf was parked before the ampera arrived, using the cable? But even then I'd expect them to check every 5-10 mins.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I charged on it for 40min so it worked fine, it was the leaf that was bugging me just sitting there, security put a call out for the leaf to move to but no reply.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Julian, tops marks for fessing up.

I think this will always be an issue at IKEA locations... either ICEs or EVs. IKEA is just not a suitable location for rapid charging IMO..
The MK Ikea is a great rapid as it allows locals to stop and stick it in charge. In the 30/40 mins you can easily walk next door to the massive Asda and get a mini shop done. Also, the majority of my trips to Ikea are for single items and I know exactly where they are thanks to the Ikea app. In and out in under 30 mins.

So in my opinion, Ikea rapids work great for locals. Your own views are based on your experience and will not reflect others.

I though that particular Ikea rapid was sill offline due to the temperature error that occurred last weekend. Is it now back online?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used it last night but I'm using the AC side, this rapid charger is a little god send to me, I charge up and head to my girlfriends place as Toddington is always offline

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wouldn't the Ampera need to be reversed in to get the charge port close enough to the charger to try and use it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't the Ampera need to be reversed in to get the charge port close enough to the charger to try and use it.
it can't use it fall stop,they are rapid chargers AC type 2 other side is DC, the Ampera can't used rapid chargers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parked and charged my Outlander Phev there this morning. Very handy as it allows me get to work a couple of miles away with almost a full charge meaning I get home in the evening with almost half a charge. Which means I pay for half a charge at home :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Parked and charged my Outlander Phev there this morning. Very handy as it allows me get to work a couple of miles away with almost a full charge meaning I get home in the evening with almost half a charge. Which means I pay for half a charge at home :)
Just as long as you don't prevent me from charging on the odd mornings that I need it (damn Outlander drivers...) :)

Joking aside (because you have as much right to use it as anyone!), I'll be using it next Wednesday morning, about 8:15 as I'll need the charge before heading into London that night - just to save you a journey in case you're likely to arrive after that time! If you're there before me, I shall try to smile sweetly and wait patiently...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did block a Nissan leaf this morning and did feel a little guilty but he was very polite about it.

Ha. I like it, a forum for booking a charging slot :)
I would get there around 0830 (I have a daily Conference call at this time so sit in the car whilst it charges) so you will get there before me. Happy to wait as my local hop doesn't compare to your trip to London

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
I had a similar problem at IKEA Nottingham. There was a leaf in one space and an outlander phev in the other. Neither charging. I waited ages then went in to complain. They said the leaf was the stores and they kept it there in case it needed charging!! I got a little irate at that point. They grudgingly said they'd move it. I waited 15 mins and then the outlander owner came back to move her car. I plugged in and charged. When I left some 30 mins later the IKEA leaf was still there. To me EVs blocking spaces is worse than ice ing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've used the Birmingham ikea rapid charger a few times. Never iced or blocked by a EV not charging. Everytime I've been there was always an outlander charging. I'm hoping to see another zoe at some point, 3 months I've had mine and I've still not spotted one!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts