Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, as for many others across the south of the UK, our Ocado delivery didn't arrive, as two robots had collided at one of their big automated packing centres, causing a fire. Being curious, I decided to try and see how these worked, and how two robots could collide.

What I found just gobsmacking was the sheer scale of their plant and the vast number of little EVs they use to make it all work. Best video I can find on how these thousands of little EVs all cooperate to select groceries and pack them into orders for delivery is this one by Tom Scott. The sight of over 2,000 little EVs, all driving themselves around a massive grid,dodging each other by just 5mm, is just a bit hypnotic. I thought the modified Star Trek quote for the title was appropriate:

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBH, I'd never seen anything like this before. I'd seen the promotional material for working in Amazon warehouses, but the ones I've seen looked like vertical racks with automated fork lift type trucks collecting things to be packed. It was the way that this Ocado plant used a 20m deep grid, with all those little EVs scuttling around picking stuff up that looked so mesmerising.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
134 Posts
Thanks so much for this. I used Ocado when living in the U.K. was an early adopter as I found the Tesco version useless. Very informative and quite amazing on one hand not on the other really. We are hampered by distances here so delivery services like Ocado are not that viable outside the big towns but they are developing. We can go to a drive to collect but the choice is more limited than the main store and at the moment each drive is housed in its own store usually close to a main shop. But this may be a game changer here too.Human ingenuity is awesome really.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
how these thousands of little EVs all cooperate to select groceries and pack them into orders for delivery is this one by Tom Scott.
You were so hypnotised you've rather missed the point of his video (clue in title). They aren't really lots of individuals, but all controlled by the "hive mind". Tom was pondering whether it is actually one or 2,000 robots. About 2:50 on he talks about more normal robotic arms, and then the "hive" and then from about 4:05 is a longer summary.

Interesting ideas.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fascinating stuff.

The worrying thing is that what becomes of the human workers these robots replace?

You only have to look at the Neanderthals who thought smashing up Wembley at the Euros final last week was a smart thing to do, then realise these oiks will be the first to fall by the wayside as manual labour is replaced by automation.

If we are really in some kind of culture war, removing the opportunity for the "working class" to actually work might not have the wider benefits that the illuminati intended.

Luckily Ken from the local 7-11 fulfills all my needs keeping local money in the local economy.

We all have a choice where we shop but when the local shops have gone, they've gone for good.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You were so hypnotised you've rather missed the point of his video (clue in title). They aren't really lots of individuals, but all controlled by the "hive mind". Tom was pondering whether it is actually one or 2,000 robots. About 2:50 on he talks about more normal robotic arms, and then the "hive" and then from about 4:05 is a longer summary.

Interesting ideas.

Not at all, it was the AI hive mind thing that I found really fascinating, and the way it controlled all those thousands of EVs as if they were parts of it's own being, hence the thread title.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fascinating stuff.

The worrying thing is that what becomes of the human workers these robots replace?

You only have to look at the Neanderthals who thought smashing up Wembley at the Euros final last week was a smart thing to do, then realise these oiks will be the first to fall by the wayside as manual labour is replaced by automation.

If we are really in some kind of culture war, removing the opportunity for the "working class" to actually work might not have the wider benefits that the illuminati intended.

Luckily Ken from the local 7-11 fulfills all my needs keeping local money in the local economy.

We all have a choice where we shop but when the local shops have gone, they've gone for good.
I actually think those Neanderthals are going to be better suited than most to survival in a new world. They will just smash and grab want they need. Pity the middle classes whose only skill is typing away ;-) They are the ones going to get crushed....

·
Registered
919 Posts
I actually think those Neanderthals are going to be better suited than most to survival in a new world. They will just smash and grab want they need. Pity the middle classes whose only skill is typing away ;-) They are the ones going to get crushed....
Actually, I agree wholeheartedly.
I've already started hoarding cans of Stella to use as some new kind of bartering system with the added advantage that it turns overweight, middle-aged blokes into alledgedly hard as nails dickheads :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually, I agree wholeheartedly.
I've already started hoarding cans of Stella to use as some new kind of bartering system with the added advantage that it turns overweight, middle-aged blokes into alledgedly hard as nails dickheads :ROFLMAO:
Whilst I have a nice collection of white vests, which make me impervious to pain..

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Fascinating stuff.

Hence why there is already talk of a Universal Basic income or Citizens income - so that those who are workless can participate in the economy (by consuming to create potential for business to exploit, and breeding to produce the next generation) or less altruistically by not acting to overturn the system that makes the rich very rich. Sleepy Joe is trying something similar in the USA at present and it is having the desired effect of stopping some people being exploited for low wages by providing them with an alternative.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Furlough in the UK was an interesting test bed for this.

As you’d expect, the results were mixed - half the people were perfectly happy to sit on their backsides being paid to do nothing, and the other half missed the sense of purpose and discipline that going to work provides.

I used to be in favour of UBI, but having basically seen it in action, I’m not really sure we should be encouraging that first group of people.

Ps. It’s true that a small % used the time to set up their own business, and good on them, but they’re very much the exception.

Reactions: Jeremy Harris

·
Registered
Kona64
1,771 Posts
[QUOTE="Swagman, post: 3051376, member: 6949"

[/QUOTE]

Driving ( for now) the delivery Transit Vans etc to your home

Answering the phone at the call centre where you rant and rave about a pack of Bourbons biscuits being replaced with a bottle of decent hard stuff

Trained to go in and clean out the faeces that an annoyed kicked out employee spread over random bots' wheels

slightly more seriously, and it's not the same order of magnitude, but a shed load of jobs now exist that did not before
  • designing the layouts
  • contruction of the hive
-designing + managing the testing it (physical + software)
-working in the control room over seeing it
-

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
Furlough in the UK was an interesting test bed for this.

As you’d expect, the results were mixed - half the people were perfectly happy to sit on their backsides being paid to do nothing, and the other half missed the sense of purpose and discipline that going to work provides.

I used to be in favour of UBI, but having basically seen it in action, I’m not really sure we should be encouraging that first group of people.

Ps. It’s true that a small % used the time to set up their own business, and good on them, but they’re very much the exception.
I don’t think Furlough is UBI though, other than it’s thought of as ‘free money’.

On Furlough, you were always waiting to go back to a job, hopefully at any rate, and although many people didn’t make best use of that time a lot did.

Folks around here setup food and prescription collection services for those vulnerable people who couldn’t go out themselves, some cut the grass verges and litter picked as those things stopped for a while. Some just went and talked to people through windows or setup socially distanced gatherings on the village green.

Some ran kids clubs so that key workers working at home got a chance to work uninterrupted for a few hours.

Sure, most of those things were pandemic response related, but it was a glimpse into what could be. It wasn’t a properly setup UBI scheme though, where you would still be expected to contribute in some way.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
The robots will just feed us directly via umbilical systems soon than picking food packets for us, and suck electricity out of us to keep them powered. Best keep us all drugged up in an imaginary world so we don't notice them doing that.

Maybe someone could make a film based on that idea. :unsure:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
The robots will just feed us directly via umbilical systems soon than picking food packets for us, and suck electricity out of us to keep them powered. Best keep us all drugged up in an imaginary world so we don't notice them doing that.

Maybe someone could make a film based on that idea. :unsure:
This is so we are kept in prime health, for when they need to harvest our organs?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
This is so we are kept in prime health, for when they need to harvest our organs?
Is that why I never get all the chocolate and booze delivered that I order? I thought it was because I put in for 100 packets/bottles at a time.

... especially when they replace 'proper' cocacola for 'zero sugar', and yoghurt for 'low fat'.

WTF is the point in low fat yoghurt!? The whole point is that you're buying a cup of fat!!!!

...Now the secret is out ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts