Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the MG in for its first service and to have a door wiring replacement. going to have to take it back to have the loom replaced as they don't have one in stock even though the car was booked in TWO months ago and i was assured that the loom was set aside for my car:cautious:
notified them that i have two bald spots on the carpet on the drivers side (under foot) and was told that would be sorted out under warranty. how car a carpet wear out in under 5000 miles:mad: I don't know.
now been informed that the carpet will not be sorted out and that I have to wait for the main office to decide IF its warranty.
how can a carpet wear out in under 5000 miles and be less that 12 months old. EVERY car that i have owned in the past never had a problem with their carpets wearing out one has done over 80000 miles including across the Sahara with no problem to the carpet.
if this is how the carpet is after 11 months i am worried what else is wearing out that we cant see 馃槬.

Registered
The ZS petrol has been out a while longer - you can probably extrapolate the common faults with that (excluding ICE related stuff) to the EV.

Reactions: Paul M

Registered
What mats did you have fitted, if they were OEM Genuine then that should aid your warranty claims chances.

Unfortunately the loom issue is all too familiar with any business these days, the left hand has little clue what the right hand is doing.

Registered
I have a feeling interior trim is only covered for first year. Worth reading the small print. The 7 year headline is a bit misleading.
I have the very same view on this point.
Interior trim is covered for 12 months is my experience as well !.
If the problem was reported in the first twelve months, then it should be covered under warranty like everything else.
I can鈥檛 see a problem with that.
Is it the main carpet installed in the car by the factory, or is it the MG tailored over mats that are worn ?.
Still covered under warranty the standard 13 months warranty of course.
Regarding the wiring loom, I have a small feeling there just maybe a supply problem.
Nobody has told me this, but I have a similar issue.
The car was booked in for its first service two weeks before Christmas.
It is one year old on the 6th January 2021.
I was given the same date for the service and replace the loom.
When I rang to see if the loom had arrived, they said it had NOT and they could understand why ????.
I then moved the date out to the 15th January hoping the loom would arrive on time.
Sounds like you are having the same problem, which makes me think it could be a back order situation????.
I will chase them up again next week, but if the loom has not arrived, I may have to let the service go ahead or it may become a problem with the T&C鈥檚 of the warranty agreement.
They give you 30 days of grace I believe ?.
No an ideal situation by a long way, but what can you do ?.
I requested the H.V. Fuse software update at the same time.
MG service bulletin SO17 I believe.
I will let you know what my dealer has to say about the wiring loom next week, if they still open of course due to increased C19 restrictions in Wales that is !.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just been told that it is not under warranty馃が 'its normal for the carpet to wear out if you don't buy the mats '
it is due to me driving the car :mad:
i have never heard such BS in all my life up to now i have loved the car but now ................

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the car is on lease from MG i feel let down and as usual lied to 馃槬 how can a carpet that is less than a year old with 4000 miles on the clock have worn out due to being driven? you had to drive the car to use it ?or should we just leave it on the drive and just polish it? Rambling's from a very p:mad:?" off owner

Registered
I鈥檇 strongly recommend putting mats in it now else you鈥檒l end up being charged for the state of the carpet when it goes back....

Registered
the car is on lease from MG i feel let down and as usual lied to 馃槬 how can a carpet that is less than a year old with 4000 miles on the clock have worn out due to being driven? you had to drive the car to use it ?or should we just leave it on the drive and just polish it? Rambling's from a very p:mad:?" off owner
I can imagine that someone driving with shoes having stiletto heels could cause damage to the carpet, and maybe some other heel types also...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't have Stiletto Heels 馃榿 just my trainers that i wear in all the other cars that i drive and they dont need to have ther carpets changed馃槬
they stated that the carpet is due to fair wear and tare so how can i be charged for that ?

Registered
i don't have Stiletto Heels 馃榿 just my trainers that i wear in all the other cars that i drive and they dont need to have ther carpets changed馃槬
they stated that the carpet is due to fair wear and tare so how can i be charged for that ?
The finance company鈥檚 definition of fair wear and tear is likely to differ.

Registered
Also, the BVRLA fair wear and tear guide for lease vehicles says 鈥渃arpets should not have holes鈥 so if they鈥檙e not worn all the way through yet, adding mats is likely to save you money at the end of your lease.

Registered
just been told that it is not under warranty馃が 'its normal for the carpet to wear out if you don't buy the mats '
it is due to me driving the car :mad:
i have never heard such BS in all my life up to now i have loved the car but now ................
I started installing the tailored over mats in my cars many many years ago.
Some times they where the subject of some backwards and forwards in agreeing a final price on the car, but they where installed even if I had to pay for them !.
Why, because when removing them prior to sale after a few years on previous cars, then the original carpets of the car where like new !.
I believe that the quality of the SOME of the over mats, are better quality than the factory installed carpets in the car !.
MG did offer a interior protection pack for around 拢130 at the time of ordering my car, the supplying dealer refused to pickup the tab, so I had to pay.
The pack was reasonable value for money though, because it offered front & rear tailored over mats and a washable rear tailored boot protector in the price.
Front over mats for a VW are about 拢85 and about the same for the rear !.
But the quality is good to be fair.
I still figure that you are still covered under your consumer rights under a twelve month warranty.
The carpets should last the minimum of twelve months, if protected or not surely.
They could be seen as either "Not fit for purpose" or "Of not good merchantable quality" - or BOTH !.
I feel the cost of suppling the carpet by MG will not be that expensive for them at least, the car may have independent front and rear carpets.
But, it will be the cost of the labour to replace it that will be the major consideration here in my mind !.
It could require a considerable amount of work if it is a "One Piece" carpet.
Like ANY warranty, you never know how good it is, until you come to make a claim.
The difference between buying or leasing displays a little different mind set I guess.
Wanting to protect your asset is more important for your personal purchase.

Registered
Reminds me of the time I bought some trainers and they wore through after two weeks of light use, and Footlocker refused to refund. They folded when I reminded them that filing a small claims case for a refund would cost me less than buying new shoes... wonder if MG are susceptible to similar negotiations?

Registered
To be fair I agree with MG there. The carpets aren't designed to hard-wearing and they will wear through with the heel rolling about all over them. I can't think why anyone would not have a set of mats. Even the best quality matt will wear through eventually, my Volvo ones wore through after about 150K and they are about 3 times thicket than the carpet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.