Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think EV manufacturers/designers have missed out an important feature. I need to transport 4 bikes. The only realistic solution is a tow bar mounted rack that the bikes stand on with their wheels. This is important because bikes are a variety of sizes and designs so a rack solution that they hang from will never work.

I would imagine that the loads of towing a caravan or trailer are far higher than carrying 4 bikes So there could be a design solution for carrying bikes that doesn't need towing capability.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
There are a number of EVs that can have bike carrier only towbars fitted such as the LEAF and the i3, and others that have normal (if limited capacity) towbars like the Tesla M3.
What EV are you considering?

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
I would imagine that the loads of towing a caravan or trailer are far higher than carrying 4 bikes So there could be a design solution for carrying bikes that doesn't need towing capability.
Would you?

The nose weight limit on my Tesla is 100 kg, but it’s rated to tow over 2 tonnes.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Strangely the limit on nose weight is often very low, below that of a bike carrier and four bikes. I've had a number at 50kg with a towing capacity of 1750+ kg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you?

The nose weight limit on my Tesla is 100 kg, but it’s rated to tow over 2 tonnes.
That's a good point. Worst case is probably 13kg for a bike so...... 52 kg for 4 bikes. Let's call it 60Kg including rack worst case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a number of EVs that can have bike carrier only towbars fitted such as the LEAF and the i3, and others that have normal (if limited capacity) towbars like the Tesla M3.
What EV are you considering?
Don't know yet. I've currently got a (rarely used now I've changed jobs and can cycle to work) Vectra. It is only fully used as family transport for holidays. Think camping in Cornwall (I live near Bath). The 600L boot is maxed out along with a 250L roof box. I will probably never find an ideal solution

·
Registered
Kona64
1,337 Posts
My Thule 3 bike rack is effing heavy unloaded .. but I too am watching this thread as I would like to put on. a back rack (or the spacious Thule Box we also have).
The only reason I can think of that mfgs don't want their EVs towing, is due to a probable decimation in range and "complaints" about it
I don't understand otherwise why they don't seem to allow it.

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
The only reason I can think of that mfgs don't want their EVs towing, is due to a probable decimation in range and "complaints" about it
Probably a bit of that and they just see it as unnecessary cost and time spent on certification and support.

Once production numbers are up a bit on the EV focussed platforms we should see them supported a bit better.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
Don't know yet. I've currently got a (rarely used now I've changed jobs and can cycle to work) Vectra. It is only fully used as family transport for holidays. Think camping in Cornwall (I live near Bath). The 600L boot is maxed out along with a 250L roof box. I will probably never find an ideal solution
The new Nissan Ariya has been rated to tow.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You’re probably already over the gross weight of the car with all that.
I'd agree - for example the LEAF has only got about 400kg mass for the passengers and luggage - it wouldn't be impossible that you are exceeding that.
The new Nissan Ariya has been rated to tow.
But will only be along at the end of 2021, but still a useful 1,500kg capacity.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
347 Posts
i3 towbar bike rack?? I heard a rumour of one but I don't think it's widely available.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
most cars have fairly modest tow-ball nose weight limits. It really affects stability to have huge amounts of weight on the towball.

Really makes me cringe when you see cars driving along with the rear suspesnion on the bump stops towing a caravan.

My Thule 3 bike rack is effing heavy unloaded .. but I too am watching this thread as I would like to put on. a back rack (or the spacious Thule Box we also have).
big car companies often skip towing homologation on certain models for reasons unknown. My parents had an Audi S4 (B6, 2004) that wasnt rated for towing, despite every smaller engined model being approved. The facelifted B7 model also got approval, despite being literally identical mechanically to the B6 model.

Cost savings probably?

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
Really makes me cringe when you see cars driving along with the rear suspesnion on the bump stops towing a caravan.
They all get told that trailer nose weight is important to avoid instability (which it is) but then they overdo it. :)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i3 towbar bike rack?? I heard a rumour of one but I don't think it's widely available.
The i3 isn't homologated to tow, but towbars for bikes are available from various German manufacturers at BMW style prices.

The ID3 on the otherhand can tow in all but the largest battery models with sunroofs - perversly the biggest battery reduces the available additional weight too much.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
perversly the biggest battery reduces the available additional weight too much.
This is likely a factor in many EVs. They are a lot heavier than their ICE compatriots, so the available gross train weight may be too small and the noseweight (which is added to the vehicle weight) would also reduce the available load within the car.

Since so many people don't bother to check these things before just throwing the family and kitchen sink into the caravan and car, then rather than running the very real risk of people overloading they just don't allow any towing.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
347 Posts
The i3 isn't homologated to tow, but towbars for bikes are available from various German manufacturers at BMW style prices.
No, I realise it officially has zero luggage capability.. You officially can't put either a tow bracket nor a roof rack on it..

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,834 Posts
None of this makes sense to me. If you are designing a BEV from scratch, you can size everything to cater for the heavy battery and then allow a bit to spare, just like they do in the ICE designs thus covering for towing.

There's really no excuse in a new design. I can certainly see how adding a heavy battery to an existing ICE design might soak up any reserves in the design.

Unless, of course, the need to minimise weight has been taken to ridiculous extremes and the structure and suspension are designed down to the absolute minimum. Surely we are past that stage of producing an exotic semi- experimental unique vehicle and are now designing everyday cars.

Admittedly I could believe that exotic was the aim when they designed the i3.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
You've answered your own question. Apart from Tesla's, what purpose built EVs have there been since the i3? Just about everything is based on an ICE.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts