Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I don’t think it’s anything to do with that, even ex-ICE designs that are just slightly heavier as EVs would still be good tow candidates.

I think it’s much more to do with it not being worth the trouble and expense of homologating a low volume vehicle for towing. Maybe that will change as EVs go mainstream.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Let's call it 60Kg including rack worst case.
It's not quite that simple. A bike rack puts a huge moment (twisting force) on the tow hitch, particularly under bounce conditions (road bumps). A trailer or caravan's loading is less demanding, with the downwards noseweight substantially "insulated" against bounces by the distant axle, and the horizontal "pull" being much easier to manage in the hitch design.

Four bikes on a towhitch is a major strain. I sometimes carry three on the towhitch of my Disco Sport, but wouldn't go to four; the rest go on the roof.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You've answered your own question. Apart from Tesla's, what purpose built EVs have there been since the i3? Just about everything is based on an ICE.
i-Pace?

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
It's not quite that simple. A bike rack puts a huge moment (twisting force) on the tow hitch, particularly under bounce conditions (road bumps). A trailer or caravan's loading is less demanding, with the downwards noseweight substantially "insulated" against bounces by the distant axle, and the horizontal "pull" being much easier to manage in the hitch design.

Four bikes on a towhitch is a major strain. I sometimes carry three on the towhitch of my Disco Sport, but wouldn't go to four; the rest go on the roof.
Agreed, 3 standard bikes feels like the limit for most standard tow hitches.

I know you can buy tow bar mount racks for 3 e-bikes, that could be 75kg+ of weight, plus the rack itself.

You’d need a substantial hitch and mount to keep that weight secure.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The i-Pace is an excellent car and has 750kg towing capacity, but is based on a modified version of the Jaguar D7 platform that also used for the XE, XF, F Type and the Velar as well as many Range Rovers.

Of particular relevance to this thread it's factory towbar system can only cope with up to 45kg nose weight - that's at most only two e-bikes or three road bikes with a carrier.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,828 Posts
I don’t think it’s anything to do with that, even ex-ICE designs that are just slightly heavier as EVs would still be good tow candidates.

I think it’s much more to do with it not being worth the trouble and expense of homologating a low volume vehicle for towing. Maybe that will change as EVs go mainstream.
I hope you are right but I was dismayed to see that the VW ID3 has a reduced payload on the largest battery version. Only four seats and no towing!

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I hope you are right but I was dismayed to see that the VW ID3 has a reduced payload on the largest battery version. Only four seats and no towing!
That’s interesting, I suppose every platform has a design limit though I guess.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
335 Posts
Yes, exotic is the word. Even BMW don't know how to follow up the i3. And it meets its very narrow brief so well - around 1.2 tonnes only in a compact car despite a 280kg battery. When used as intended - low speed city runs - it's extremely efficient as it's so light, but ironically when you put it on a motorway next to a 2 tonne Tesla the tesla actually uses less energy to maintain speed for long distances (gearing, plus aerodynamics mainly). So yeah, they didn't design in any extra capacity for towing ..

(In fact the i3 is only rated for 440kg of load total, this is just four fat blokes, and at that point you can't even put their beers in the boot.. ;) )

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
That’s interesting, I suppose every platform has a design limit though I guess.
But that's strange given the platform that it's on (the MEB) is also supposed to be going to be used for much larger cars such as SUVs and a possible Bus.

Reactions: TomH

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
But that's strange given the platform that it's on (the MEB) is also supposed to be going to be used for much larger cars such as SUVs and a possible Bus.
Yes, that’s true. All a bit strange really.

What platform is the e-Tron on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought the ID3 was another tow bar for bike racks only? Also read somewhere no roof bars / roof boxes?
Would love to be proved wrong because they are both deal breakers for me ☹

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
...The ID3 on the otherhand can tow in all but the largest battery models with sunroofs - perversly the biggest battery reduces the available additional weight too much.
AFAIK the id3 can be ordered with a towbar, but it's only for attaching a bike carrier, and has a max rating of 75 Kg. So that rules it out for me as a possible next EV. I really, really don't see why the Ioniq EV for eg can't tow a small trailer, say 150-250Kg; their petrol versions can! Same goes for Konas, Niros etc. Model Y can tow properly, but is larger (& more expensive) than I want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Vivaro-e van can tow 1000kg and I think has more boot space than you'll need... And I think a decent roof roof racks capacity too... It's just a Corsa drivetrain with a more practical body!

I think same as the Peugeot 308/3008.. and interestingly only a few miles less range than the 3008

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yes, exotic is the word. Even BMW don't know how to follow up the i3. And it meets its very narrow brief so well - around 1.2 tonnes only in a compact car despite a 280kg battery. When used as intended - low speed city runs - it's extremely efficient as it's so light, but ironically when you put it on a motorway next to a 2 tonne Tesla the tesla actually uses less energy to maintain speed for long distances (gearing, plus aerodynamics mainly). So yeah, they didn't design in any extra capacity for towing ..

(In fact the i3 is only rated for 440kg of load total, this is just four fat blokes, and at that point you can't even put their beers in the boot.. ;) )
Hi, the whole idea of a trailer, say a light one, is that the payload does not load up the suspension of the towing vehicle (beyond the nose weight which typically could be specified as 50 to 60 kg for this kind of duty). The drivetrain could easily be protected by software. Braking loads for a car plus trailer at 60mph are going to be lower than car only at 90. Seems there is a lot of BS here.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Seems there is a lot of BS here.
Quite.
EVs are perfectly capable of towing, but manufacturers have chosen not to homologate them for it.
We can debate why (cost, loss of range?) but it's irrelevant. Only by purchasers refusing to purchase an EV very loudly due to this issue will it get back to manufacturers.
But I can't see it changing at the lower cost end of the market, fewer people can tow today (given the license requirements) so it's too niche. The caravan club will no doubt stick with their ICE 4x4s cast of by the careless rich.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,828 Posts
Quite.
. The caravan club will no doubt stick with their ICE 4x4s cast of by the careless rich.
They certainly will if they are given no alternative!

Interesting that Norwegians are heavily into towing. That may push manufacturers in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Interesting that Norwegians are heavily into towing. That may push manufacturers in the right direction.
It clearly hasn't so far, but I hope that you are right.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
335 Posts
Hi, the whole idea of a trailer, say a light one, is that the payload does not load up the suspension of the towing vehicle (beyond the nose weight which typically could be specified as 50 to 60 kg for this kind of duty). The drivetrain could easily be protected by software. Braking loads for a car plus trailer at 60mph are going to be lower than car only at 90. Seems there is a lot of BS here.
Yes there's no reason they couldn't do the tests, I'm sure they chassis even on an i3 is more than capable. A braked trailer should be fine, as you say, so presumably BMW couldn't be bothered to make that capability available given the model designation (and, perhaps, budget), at the time.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts