Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is much informed discussion on the site and although I have had an ev for three years -so much I didn’t know that I probably should have. So far my take home points have been -
1. The battery charges faster when empty and slows as it gets full (I had no idea honestly)
2. Range drops with wet and windy conditions as well as cold
3. Warming the car up before I set out improves the range as well as my mood
4. Driving smoothly improves range
5. Charging a cold battery means a slower charge rate
6. Probably best not to keep the car at 100% charge for to long and to keep within the 20% - 80% range
7. Keep your tyres fully inflated to improve range

So what else should I know.....

(Really embarrassing that I hadn’t learned all this before I got my car☺)

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
That the public charging network is the worst thing about owning an EV? Or maybe you knew that? :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That the public charging network is the worst thing about owning an EV? Or maybe you knew that? :)
Oh I learned that really quick in my first month of driving and it’s got worse (Ecotricity) but the newer entrants are improving things ??

·
Registered
368 Posts
Even though the EV ownership experience is now a few years old, this is still a lengthy journey. The infrastructure is steadily improving bit by bit. Look where we are after just 6 or 7 years - 15000+ charging connections. By the time the ban arrives I feel we'll probably have 3 or 4 times as many, and all ought to accept contactless credit/debit cards instead of a profusion of bloody silly apps.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Make sure you have decent screenwash in (or diluted to the proper percentage) as in frosty conditions there's no engine to warm the washer bottle up, lol

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,181 Posts
I have not had a car, yet, in which the battery charges fastest at low SOC.

In general I have found the car's charging performance to exceed the charger, hence the limiting factor is the current that the charger puts out. As such, as the battery charges and the charging voltage increases so the charge rate increases for a constant charge current.

For example, if I go to a DBT and plug the Soul in at ~30% it'll go straight to 104A and maybe 360V. By the time it is over 65% it is charging at more like 400V, i.e. 10% faster.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not had a car, yet, in which the battery charges fastest at low SOC.

In general I have found the car's charging performance to exceed the charger, hence the limiting factor is the current that the charger puts out. As such, as the battery charges and the charging voltage increases so the charge rate increases for a constant charge current.

For example, if I go to a DBT and plug the Soul in at ~30% it'll go straight to 104A and maybe 360V. By the time it is over 65% it is charging at more like 400V, i.e. 10% faster.
I think I have been blaming the chargers for slow charging speeds and indeed they may be guilty but I have on reflection seen better faster charges when I’m running on empty. The Zoe doesn’t give any clues as to the speed of charge I have to rely on what the charger says to find out.
I did need to charge in Dartford a couple of years back where the only fast charger was outside a harvester. A bloke was sat in his Zoe trying to get to 100%. He was blocking the charger for two hours and most of that was 90%+. I was not happy but he wouldn’t budge. So definitely slow to charge the last 10%.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,181 Posts
A bloke was sat in his Zoe trying to get to 100%. He was blocking the charger for two hours and most of that was 90%+. I was not happy but he wouldn’t budge. So definitely slow to charge the last 10%.
Oh, I see, well, yes, there is that aspect of the charging profile but, really, any car charging over 80% will be, or already have, tailed off its charge rate. But it isn't a linear 'higher charge state = slower charge rate", that is not accurate. Lots of discussion here that rapid charging should cut off below 20kW or so, which is around 80% on most cars to date. (This is changing with larger batteries which can charge faster on capable chargers but begin tailing off speed quite a lot lower.)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
6. Probably best not to keep the car at 100% charge for to long and to keep within the 20% - 80%
As you own a Zoe (I assume from your 'label') you don't need to worry about as the BMS takes car of the battery for you. If you want to charge to 100% just go for it..

"He was blocking the charger for two hours and most of that was 90%+. I was not happy but he wouldn’t budge. So definitely slow to charge the last 10%".

Oh yeah, this is definitely the time to only charge to 80%. Life is too short for more.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you own a Zoe (I assume from your 'label') you don't need to worry about as the BMS takes car of the battery for you. If you want to charge to 100% just go for it..
I certainly did charge to 100% frequently, well almost all of the time with Zoe 1 but it was a battery lease so who cared?. Zoe 2 is going to be battery owned and that has made me more aware of taking care of the battery. If the BMS is in control and can avoid any damage in the longer term that is good to know. But I might not charge to 100% every time as before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to sit an watch it charge?
No I use the scheduler at night and can choose how long to charge for. Best bit about the car IMO as it’s always ready to go next morning. Actually I’m moving over to octopus go so I’ll only use a max of the cheap 4 hours and can reduce if I don’t need a full charge.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
No I use the scheduler at night and can choose how long to charge for. Best bit about the car IMO as it’s always ready to go next morning. Actually I’m moving over to octopus go so I’ll only use a max of the cheap 4 hours and can reduce if I don’t need a full charge.
Just a bit of info for you. I have Go too and can put in about 50% charge in those 4 hours. Hope this will help when your deciding what level you want to charge to. :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Owning an EV can also be bad for your wallet and your health: particularly, if a coffee and a snack have become a key part of each rapid charge.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,244 Posts
Owning an EV can also be bad for your wallet and your health: particularly, if a coffee and a snack have become a key part of each rapid charge.
Yeah, we found that we paying as much in Costa as we were spending in petrol on a long journey. We now take a picnic and flask.

Reactions: evescu

·
Registered
120 Posts
One downside, being able to pre-condition my Zoe first thing in the morning means I've lost track of just how frosty it is: I've only used my scraper once this winter so far, and that was for frost on the tail lights. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts