Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just thinking what I need to do before selling your model 3. Do I have to factory reset and remove the car from my account?

Anything else.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thats about it

Tell the DVLA using the online form - easy and quick to do You'll get a refund on the road tax if you happened to be one of those who still had to pay and didn;t reclaim when it went to zero in April.

And get a timed receipt for when they take ownership. I sold my MS to a dealer and left Teslamate running (just didn't get round to turning it off). They were doing 130 mph around Bedford within 3 hours of leaving me. I was tempted to turn on valet mode but I didn't realise soon enough.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats about it

Tell the DVLA using the online form - easy and quick to do You'll get a refund on the road tax if you happened to be one of those who still had to pay and didn;t reclaim when it went to zero in April.

And get a timed receipt for when they take ownership. I sold my MS to a dealer and left Teslamate running (just didn't get round to turning it off). They were doing 130 mph around Bedford within 3 hours of leaving me. I was tempted to turn on valet mode but I didn't realise soon enough.
I'm using we buy any car. I'll make sure they do the tax and email me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
M3 seems to hold it's value more than any other car. On Autotrader cars with 20k on the clock are £37k! For an extra £3k you can get a new one

·
Registered
62 Posts
M3 seems to hold it's value more than any other car. On Autotrader cars with 20k on the clock are £37k! For an extra £3k you can get a new one
Im looking at getting a Model 3 and shocked that some sellers want as much for a year old old model than you can buy a new one with heat pump and more range for the same money. Is it because they are in short supply?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,733 Posts
Im looking at getting a Model 3 and shocked that some sellers want as much for a year old old model than you can buy a new one with heat pump and more range for the same money. Is it because they are in short supply?
No. It’s because that’s what people are willing to pay for them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No. It’s because that’s what people are willing to pay for them.
Just contacted an EV dealer regarding a used Model 3 14 months old with nearly 16000 miles, less than £900 off new price and asked why the prices were so high. He said that was the going rate. When I told him of the new models with heat pump and longer range he said he know nothing of them. Very hard to believe, as he sold mostly Teslas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wonder how much haggle room there is. If it were me i'd rather find the extra 900 and buy new. Unless there's a really long waiting list I cant seem to figure out why anyone would think its a good deal.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just contacted an EV dealer regarding a used Model 3 14 months old with nearly 16000 miles, less than £900 off new price and asked why the prices were so high. He said that was the going rate. When I told him of the new models with heat pump and longer range he said he know nothing of them. Very hard to believe, as he sold mostly Teslas.
Just get a new one and thank your lucky stars you did because normally buying a new car would be the worst investment ever, this may be the only occasion where it isn't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Residuals aren't going to stay this high for long. Clearly with the improved Model 3 out purchasers will eventually become more aware (amazes me someone can spend 40K on a used car without researching the new option but hey ho, take all sorts...). Availability is not an issue either, unless Brexit has an effect.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Residuals aren't going to stay this high for long. Clearly with the improved Model 3 out purchasers will eventually become more aware (amazes me someone can spend 40K on a used car without researching the new option but hey ho, take all sorts...). Availability is not an issue either, unless Brexit has an effect.
Why do you say that with such certainty?

I mean you are probably right because it's impossible pretty much for them to stay this high forever.

BUT find me another car with better residuals, it's still a far better 'investment' right now than buying pretty much any other new car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't argue that current residuals aren't excellent but certainly supply doesn't seem restricted for new vehicle orders and as the tech is improving all the time and Tesla have already increased the spec surely residuals can only go one way. I certainly wouldn't pay near enough the same for a second hand lower spec car as a new one but I guess there are some strange people around who would.

Also, we will soon start seeing more used model 3's coming to market anyhow as the first vehicles come off lease and onto the used market.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I can't argue that current residuals aren't excellent but certainly supply doesn't seem restricted for new vehicle orders and as the tech is improving all the time and Tesla have already increased the spec surely residuals can only go one way. I certainly wouldn't pay near enough the same for a second hand lower spec car as a new one but I guess there are some strange people around who would.

Also, we will soon start seeing more used model 3's coming to market anyhow as the first vehicles come off lease and onto the used market.
Not until June next year

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Many people look at the list price and don't understand the OLEV contribution. People are strange and the experience shapes belief part comes into this, if that is the cost of a used one then a new one must be so much more expensive... stands to reason doesn't it.

This is combined with the thought that a new one will take months to deliver, but a used one you can have this week. There are many reason people will do this and clearly there is a market demand at these prices.

Have a look on tesla-info.com @Jon G publishes when cars were 1st listed which is probably the best indicator of a deal to be done, so that £900 might actually be £3,900 by the time it has been sitting there for 2 months, and haggling ensues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not until June next year
This in itself explains the artificially high used prices at the moment. The only used vehicles coming to market are the handful of private sellers. Were there not any 12 month leases though? I think anyone paying 39K for a used Tesla Model 3 SR+ now could be in for a nasty shock if they want to sell in 12 months time if they are expecting the residuals to remain like they are now. Having said this, It will still have way better residuals then an ICE Merc or BMW I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts