Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Today we went to Burnham on Sea in Somerset, and I dropped the wife in town and went to the Tesco supermarket to do some shopping and get a free charge. When I came out of the store, there was a beat up Renault van parked in one of the charging bays. It wasn't really a problem as I was the only one charging. Two workmen came to the van carrying sandwiches they had bought in the store.

"Interesting electric vehicle you've got there," I said jokingly.
"Ah. It's diesel," came the sheepish reply.

The younger of the two then started asking about electric vehicles, and asked all the usual questions except one. It was the first time I had not been asked about range and what happens if you run out of charge. A refreshing change, and hopefully a young convert for the future.

A short while later, a Tesla Model 3 long range pulled up, and I couldn't help admiring the car and striking up a conversation.

It was only when I was driving back home when I thought that those conversations would rarely, if never happen in the 5 minute fill up on a noisy petrol forecourt. Meeting people and having interesting conversations is one benefit of EV ownership that rarely gets mentioned.

It's not the first time it has happened, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Alan.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, I often open a conversation at my local Sainsbury’s Charging Station when passers by stop and stare at the connected Charging Cable. Not normally youngsters though. Many are completely clueless- an observation not a criticism. Even some non drivers ask questions.

Depending how the conversation is going, I sometimes throw in the standard joke...How do you know that somebody owns an Electric Car? Answer - Because they have already told you!

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
431 Posts
Here in NZ, at one extreme I get fairly informed, polite questions at the public charger, usually from older folk passing by, asking how long does it take to charge and how far can I go. If another EV turns up we'll usually have a normal EV conversation, unless it's a Leaf where in a few cases they'll just ignore me.
At the other extreme, the big box discount store which has a pair of free Type 2 sockets, their customers are unsure why I've tied my car up to the box they lean on while having a smoke. People stop and stare, have conversations between themselves but no one asks me any questions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in NZ, at one extreme I get fairly informed, polite questions at the public charger, usually from older folk passing by, asking how long does it take to charge and how far can I go. If another EV turns up we'll usually have a normal EV conversation, unless it's a Leaf where in a few cases they'll just ignore me.
At the other extreme, the big box discount store which has a pair of free Type 2 sockets, their customers are unsure why I've tied my car up to the box they lean on while having a smoke. People stop and stare, have conversations between themselves but no one asks me any questions.
Tie your car up to the box. LOL. That reminds me of the old westerns when they tie their horses to a rail outside the saloon. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure whereabouts in Wellington that store is but if it was somewhere like Lyall Bay you could tell them you are mooring the car to the post in case of faster than expected sea level rise whilst you are in the shop. ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I definitely agree. It’s a conversation starter with everyone and a really nice aspect of EV ownership.

I have actually even had a handful of people knock on my door to ask about the cable channel we have in the pavement and very often get passers by asking questions.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill
1 - 6 of 6 Posts