Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So many caveats needed here, best taken with a HUGE pinch of salt.
Not perfect, I agree. Too committed to a couple of brands to start with. But still a reasonable starting point for newcomers.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I started off really liking Jordan's channel, but it's gradually become too full of expensive product promotions, both overt and covert, IMHO (and I'm heartily sick of his Tesla fanboi stuff!). Pity, as he has some really good content, and is definitely one of the most clued up electricians when it comes to EV installation requirements. I'm not a fan of the charge point he promotes a fair bit, even though it's a competent enough product, mainly because it's an expensive option (unless you really need the added functionality from integrating with their other very good kit), it's not the most attractive thing to have on the front of a house and because I think that the main reason these units get promoted by installers is because they are often a fair bit easier to fit for the installer.

TBH, I'm not a great fan of putting all the circuit protection inside the charge point, either. I'd far rather have all the protection up front, protecting the cable running to the charge point as well as the charge point itself. I also prefer the rock solid open PEN fault protection offered by a TT installation, wherever it's practical to do this, rather than rely on the mixed attributes of some of the Section 722.411.4.1 indent (iii), (iv) or (v) devices. In particular, I don't believe that devices that are designed to solely comply with indent (iv) provide much in the way of useful protection, despite being allowed by amendment 1, neither do I much like the idea of protection devices that reset themselves with no user intervention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts