Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so got convinced to get an electric car and got a Kona ev as it had the biggest range i could see.
However i live in a flat and although i have a garage (without power) at the back was told that it wouldn't be an issue installing a charger and that they do these all the time.

Signed all the paper work, lease etc. Get the car great and due to delays was car arrived first and was told charger would be getting done soon.

However man from homepoint came round to do pre survey and basically said no he cant do it as there too many civils and work to install a charge point isn't feasible due to distance (30m meters from rcd to garage).
So now I'm having to charge my vehicle at charging points and I'm driving around without heating as I'm paranoid about range and getting stuck.

Is there anything I can do?

lastly there's a polar plus rapid charger a few miles which I've been using. hence if anyone has a referral code would be useful.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
118 Posts
It's perfectly feasible to survive on public charging only - depending on where you live. Check out Zap Map for local chargers - it may be worth changing shopping habits to supermarkets that have free chargers (Tesco, Sainsbury, some Waitrose - though free only for Polar Plus membership I think)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks appreciate that however it makes coming back from work or any or site visits difficult as I’m now adding in charging time often an hour to make sure I can get to work or sites on time.
I don’t really want to be sitting around waiting. Plan was always that I could come home and charge car but currently I can’t and this has soured my EV experience at the moment.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I suspect it might be less 'can't be done' and more 'don't want to do it'

You mention 30 metres from RCD to garage - I assume by RCD you mean your consumer unit? Whereabouts is your meter? Who owns the 30 meters you need to cross? Are you running across a lawn / hard standing or other open space, or along the side of a building or other structure?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,176 Posts
It's easily possible to live without home charging. I have done with EVs which don't even have half the range of the car you picked. And that's with me regularly driving long distances up and down the UK too. You just need to find a routine that works for you, be that charging at work, plugging in while you do your grocery shopping, working out at the gym, or finding a local AC Charge post to plug into at night and walking home as a few examples.

Once you have your routine you will find it easier. And on your travels you just have to get used to charging any time the opportunity arises. No matter how short your visit to somewhere may be, it will help keep you topped up.

Range anxiety quickly goes away especially with such a large battery and high efficiency like you have in your car. I assure you going without heating isn't necessary. Especially if you maximise efficiency by setting it to a warm temperature rather than hot, it really doesn't eat too much into your range.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
108 Posts
However i live in a flat and although i have a garage (without power) at the back was told that it wouldn't be an issue installing a charger and that they do these all the time.
Who told you this “wouldn’t be an issue”? Were you told this by the salesperson? For anyone to claim this who was involved in the sales process without a site survey could be liable if you decide to take the matter further legally.

That aside, how many miles do you cover a day? From what you’ve said, you need to fully recharge every day which assumes you cover well over 200 miles a day. If that’s not the case, would you be able to get by on just a couple of Rapid top ups every week?

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Sorry to hear and life will be far easier if you can charge at home. There may still be a way. Often getting someone else to do pre-work and then getting a charging company involved is better in complex circumstances as they often don't want hassle - as mentioned above. Also, having power to your garage will help a future sale - I assume you own flat and garage?

So folk here can advise, can you draw a picture of your layout (including where meter and consumer unit are) and some photos too? Also, where do you live as people may have local recommendations.

I dont think Polar are doing referrals any longer but will check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suspect it might be less 'can't be done' and more 'don't want to do it'

You mention 30 metres from RCD to garage - I assume by RCD you mean your consumer unit? Whereabouts is your meter? Who owns the 30 meters you need to cross? Are you running across a lawn / hard standing or other open space, or along the side of a building or other structure?
Yes sorry meant consumer unit as the chap who did the survey measured the distance from there as it’s in the hallway.
Its all freehold so would need to permission from other tenants which I already have in writing but it goes across 10m of garden then it’s 5m of gravel.
I thought it was simple thing to sort out but clearly not from what the surveyor was saying as cables have to be armoured and buried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear and life will be far easier if you can charge at home. There may still be a way. Often getting someone else to do pre-work and then getting a charging company involved is better in complex circumstances as they often don't want hassle - as mentioned above. Also, having power to your garage will help a future sale - I assume you own flat and garage?

So folk here can advise, can you draw a picture of your layout (including where meter and consumer unit are) and some photos too? Also, where do you live as people may have local recommendations.

I dont think Polar are doing referrals any longer but will check.
Thanks I’m having power in the future could be a big help and with the way we are going I’m sure it will add value to the flat.
I live in Folkestone and I guess like most seaside towns parking gets ridiculous in the summer especially on weekends so I can see that trying to make use of public chargers might be an issue.
My girlfriend lives 60 miles away (round trip) and work is a 81 mile round trip plus more if I go to site.
So in a week I’m easily covering 500+ miles.
Was convinced by the lease car company (which is the other annoyance as I’m paying a monthly cost for installation of a charger which they as well) that it shouldn’t be an issue but when I’ve rang back to challenge this they say it’s not the case😑
Honestly I don’t think I would have gone electric if I had known I couldn’t charge from home.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
I recommend you get a couple of quotes from local electricans to run power to your garage using that route. Explain it needs to have space in CU and cabling to support 32A car charging. Having light and 13A socket in garage will add value when you come to sell, I would NOT just put a charging point there.

Once you have quotes you can check it is OK with charging company and get them to give you price. Having a proper charging point will be a good thing when you come to sell - in a few years it will be as important as broadband!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes sorry meant consumer unit as the chap who did the survey measured the distance from there as it’s in the hallway.
Its all freehold so would need to permission from other tenants which I already have in writing but it goes across 10m of garden then it’s 5m of gravel.
I thought it was simple thing to sort out but clearly not from what the surveyor was saying as cables have to be armoured and buried.
Direct burial armoured cable is not that expensive to buy or to install.
To make it cheaper you could dig the trench and lay the cable yourself - it is not difficult, just hard work with a spade
Once the cable is in the electrician can sort out the ends.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
My girlfriend lives 60 miles away (round trip) and work is a 81 mile round trip plus more if I go to site.
So in a week I’m easily covering 500+ miles.
500 miles a week is a huge saving in fuel costs if you invest in getting power to garage and can charge at 7kW overnight on cheap rate, such as Octopus Go.

To take advantage of overnight tariffs, I would look to get a SMETS2 smart meter installed by your current energy company ASAP. Be better if that is done before the electrican does his work and ideally get a supply isolator fitted too.

Reactions: DBMandrake

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
500 miles a week is a huge saving in fuel costs if you invest in getting power to garage and can charge at 7kW overnight on cheap rate, such as Octopus Go.
250 miles a week here and it already saves me a lot of money over petrol even though I don't have a cheap night rate...

Definitely worth the OP going to the trouble to get a 7kW charger installed in the garage to take advantage of home charging (both convenience and low cost) especially since he already has the car!

There's also the added benefit of plugged in preheating on cold winter mornings...Ahhhhhh... :)

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Direct burial armoured cable is not that expensive to buy or to install.
To make it cheaper you could dig the trench and lay the cable yourself - it is not difficult, just hard work with a spade
Once the cable is in the electrician can sort out the ends.
Using cheaper labour or DIY is a good suggestion, my sister got her handyman to dig trench for power to an outbuilding.

However, the electrician will need to see the cable before it is buried to sign off the work. There are rules on depth and it needs to be covered with tape, etc. so get clear instructions from him/her before doing it.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
fyi i live in a flat and have done circa 40k/pa in evs with just public charging. luckily i can charge at work a bit and also a local P&R sometimes too.
even when i lived with the ex i charged at home once a month at most using the granny charger.

DIY will certainly help for sure and when it comes to it please do one thing, spend an extra few ££ and stick it in conduit.

Something like the above and pre feed the armoured cable thru it as its easier then.
You havent indicated on the diagram what the surfaces are but im guessing at least 1 is a hard standing surface like tarmac or such so will need a way to cross that section, ie landlord permission to cut a slot out of the hard standing and then lay the cable and stick concrete on top to seal it in.

·
Registered
559 Posts
@proddick is quite right, if you DIY the electrician should check the depth etc before you fill in.

I am on leave at the moment so don't have access to the regs - I have a copy of the OSG at home that may cover it, if nobody else comes back first. At least that way you will know how big a trench you need so you can consider if you want to DIY

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
fyi i live in a flat and have done circa 40k/pa in evs with just public charging. luckily i can charge at work a bit and also a local P&R sometimes too.
even when i lived with the ex i charged at home once a month at most using the granny charger.
Great to hear has worked out for you, but I can see OP may struggle if tourists come back next summer and doesn't have work charging. Also costs of public charging are high compared to off-peak home charging, as much as 30p kWh more. The savings could help OP towards cost of putting power in.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts