Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently have a Chevy Volt and will be buying a new (2nd hand) car soon, I think I'm settled on the Zoe i Q90. Just got a few questions for existing owners:

1. When buying a second hand Zoe, what faults / problems should I be looking out for?

2. I chose the Zoe i Q90 for the following reasons - any other Models or EVs I should consider?
  1. More than 150 miles per charge
  2. Less than £13,000
  3. Fast charging capable
  4. No battery rental
3. Any other general advice about the Zoe?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
  1. Less than £13,000
I Wish you the best of luck getting a Q90 With the battery included for less than £13k.

I've been buying the last few 'new' ones remaining on business orders recently and they have been trying to sell them off to me at stupid prices, but nowhere close to 13k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the miles per charge - I had a Q90 Zoe40 for three years and I achieved 185 miles per full charge in the summer and about 130 miles per charge in the winter.
You could also look at buying a lease battery car and then buy the battery pack from RCI when you own the car. You may get a better price that way. Alternatively sign up for the minimum mileage lease rate for the battery and decide on battery buyout when the pack is at its cheapest rate. It is a good car to own and drive. If you can find one with heated seats that is worth the price as I didn’t use the heater much in the winter just heated the seat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the miles per charge - I had a Q90 Zoe40 for three years and I achieved 185 miles per full charge in the summer and about 130 miles per charge in the winter.
You could also look at buying a lease battery car and then buy the battery pack from RCI when you own the car. You may get a better price that way. Alternatively sign up for the minimum mileage lease rate for the battery and decide on battery buyout when the pack is at its cheapest rate. It is a good car to own and drive. If you can find one with heated seats that is worth the price as I didn’t use the heater much in the winter just heated the seat.
As he said,

I've done exactly that. I found the same car as mine, with heated leather seats, BOSE sound system 12000 miles on the clock. It was registered May 2017 and own battery....the asking price was £ 17K , yes £17 000......walked away. Two days later: September 2017 Signature model (top spec) 8300 miles and with all of the above and rented battery.....for almost £ 6 500 less. Leased the battery on the bottom price. Few people I know bought the battery on 4+ years old cars for £2750, so I just need to be patient for 11 months. £2750 + £708 (lease for 1 year) =3458.....£3 K in my pocket.
Other option is to continue renting....6 grand will let me rent the battery for 8+ years with full cover.
Don't dismiss the battery rent. Do your maths first and perhaps will work out better for you if you lease the battery.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Few people I know bought the battery on 4+ years old cars for £2750
Worth pointing out that these prices were for 5/6 year old 22kWh Zoe. The prices for the 41kWh are higher.

I believe the oldest 41kWh Zoe's (Early 2017, but 66-plate) are still around £5,000 for the buyout, so I think you will end up closer to the £17,000 price you would have paid to begin with.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi All,

I currently have a Chevy Volt and will be buying a new (2nd hand) car soon, I think I'm settled on the Zoe i Q90. Just got a few questions for existing owners:

1. When buying a second hand Zoe, what faults / problems should I be looking out for?

2. I chose the Zoe i Q90 for the following reasons - any other Models or EVs I should consider?
  1. More than 150 miles per charge
  2. Less than £13,000
  3. Fast charging capable
  4. No battery rental
3. Any other general advice about the Zoe?

Thanks
The Zoe 41kWh battery owned is probably the only one that will get close to those requirements, but £13,000 is a tall ask. Be aware that many listed on AT with the 'i' at that sort of price are likely to be mislabelled. Bristol Street Motors lists all their Zoe's as 'i' despite majority being leased.

I have yet to see a battery owned for sale lower than £14,000, and that was a private sale on here. Expect to pay closer to £16,000.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
There have been a lot of battery rental ZE40 traded in recently, so prices have dropped substantially. There aren't so many battery owned being traded in as they were generally bought rather than PCP and I suspect being kept for longer, so price gap has got bigger if anything!

I would encourage you to look at battery lease - just pay the £59 a month and settle up at end as no cheaper to pay for higher mileage, except unlimited. Some people were never asked for money, but obviously you can't bank on that. Also, if you buy out battery they don't currently consider mileage so you could pay £59 and buy out in 2 years when cost drops. Again no guarantee things won't change, but worth a gamble. There is also chance they will do cheaper rental for lower guarantee - like on Kangoo, but I suspect that will be 22Kwh cars first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts