Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 88kwh
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all has you know we have a egolf great car but thinking of getting the id 3 car but cannot decide which model to get there is so many models of the id3 would like a better range id3 but which 1 i really dont know which to choose can anyone here give there reviews of there id3 cars and range please so i can decide which 1 to get pondering on the id3 1st edition pro

·
Registered
586 Posts
You can't order a 1st Edition any more, they were a limited run. You may be able to purchase a pre-registered one, but not as a new order.

I believe the Tour is the only longer range model at the moment, as it has the 77kWh battery. All the other models you can currently order effectively have the same range as they all have the 58kWh battery.

Your best bet would be to look through the configurator to compare the different default options on each of the versions, unless you really need the extra range of the Tour, then that is your only option right now.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
The 1st edition lacks the wireless phone charger, may be important to some. There's an option (N/a on 1st edition) to add a Heat pump, reckoned to give about 7.5% better range in winter than non-heat-pump ones, i.e. you don't lose as much range as the standard ones do. Life model lacks rear camera, but is a lot cheaper than Family and Business etc models. Really, VW are playing around, with lots of goodies to pick from, on exactly the same chassis.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi all has you know we have a egolf great car but thinking of getting the id 3 car but cannot decide which model to get there is so many models of the id3 would like a better range id3 but which 1 i really dont know which to choose can anyone here give there reviews of there id3 cars and range please so i can decide which 1 to get pondering on the id3 1st edition pro
I would start with your needs:
What's your trypical driving profile for work, social,, holiday - post covid!
How many adults, kids will be in it.
What tech do you like.
And what's your budget.....

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,852 Posts
I had an e-Golf previously, and the basic ID.3 Life has most of the features of the e-Golf already. The only exceptions are:
Reversing camera
Keyless entry (although you don't need the key to start the car)

All the reviews so far are for the 58kWh 204PS Pro, and 'Pro' is the battery size, not the model. There is a cheaper 145PS version available to order now, with the same battery.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 88kwh
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the e golf at the moment has heat pump so in summer was achieving 140 plus and this winter it hit in leeds minus weather so was getting about 70-80 ish in summer from leeds to manchester airport did have to stop on way back to charge becuase.we was running low.its more about been able to do that type of journey without stopping to charge

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Google maps has Leeds city centre to Man airport 57 miles. So allow 130 miles. Ioniq 38 kWh will eat that all year round, has heatpump, rear camera, lots of goodies, and is the most efficient of any EV with around 40 kWh battery. Any ID.3 will also eat it for breakfast. Big difference is charging speed on Rapids, ID.3 will do 50 kW or more up to 80% SOC, great for long trips. Ioniq 38 does max 46 kW up to 53% SOC, then drops to 33, then drops more. So not great on those super long trips.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As Andy says, any ID.3 will do that journey even with your foot to the floor and the heating turned the whole way up! So I think if I were you I’d be looking at the Pro 58kWh battery, and not bothering with the optional heat pump.

At that point, it’s just a matter of which toys you want? As MrPaulus says, the base Life model isn’t badly spec’d at all. But if you want goodies like the matrix headlights and reversing camera - which I did - you have to step up from that. Business Vs Family is a tough choice, but the Family has a panoramic glass roof (amongst a couple of other things) and as I was getting a pre-reg it was only £500 more, so that’s what I went with.

Above the Family spec, it’s a case of whether you want all the super fancy toys (semi-autonomous driving type stuff, for example) enough to pay that much money. I’m not convinced it’s worth it.

The best argument for going higher up the specs is that - unbelievably - you have to go higher spec than Family to get rear speakers! I’ve whined about this on other threads, and the consensus here seems to be that it’s not a big deal to live without rear speakers for most people. But it does bother me a bit, so if it also bothers you then you have to pay the big bucks to get something higher spec than Family trim.

·
Registered
vw id 3 tour pro s 88kwh
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I
As Andy says, any ID.3 will do that journey even with your foot to the floor and the heating turned the whole way up! So I think if I were you I’d be looking at the Pro 58kWh battery, and not bothering with the optional heat pump.

At that point, it’s just a matter of which toys you want? As MrPaulus says, the base Life model isn’t badly spec’d at all. But if you want goodies like the matrix headlights and reversing camera - which I did - you have to step up from that. Business Vs Family is a tough choice, but the Family has a panoramic glass roof (amongst a couple of other things) and as I was getting a pre-reg it was only £500 more, so that’s what I went with.

Above the Family spec, it’s a case of whether you want all the super fancy toys (semi-autonomous driving type stuff, for example) enough to pay that much money. I’m not convinced it’s worth it.

The best argument for going higher up the specs is that - unbelievably - you have to go higher spec than Family to get rear speakers! I’ve whined about this on other threads, and the consensus here seems to be that it’s not a big deal to live without rear speakers for most people. But it does bother me a bit, so if it also bothers you then you have to pay the big bucks to get something higher spec than Family trim.
Can you tell me if all the id3 have the id light inside?

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
178 Posts
There's a page in the VW brochure that shows which 'packs' each trim has, probably worth reading through that.

There's a big jump from Life to Business- Business adds Matrix lights, 'ArtVelours' interior, reversing camera, and keyless entry. I loved the panoramic roof my parents had in their Skoda Rapid- so it's something I'd want, so I'm going for a Family. The Style is a good compromise too, but is stock only now. It basically trades the keyless entry and reversing camera of the Business for a panoramic roof. I'd possibly take one if the price is right, but having the extras of the Family is probably worth it IMO! Got keyless and a reversing camera in my Ibiza, standard fit on the Xcellence Lux trim. Initially didn't reallty want them- only got that trim to get ACC and the alcantara interior- but have actually come to really like them.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour - Stonewashed Blue Metallic
45 Posts
In the same boat as yourself, I have a 77kwh ID3 on the way to replace our E-Golf. We have a 2007 Land Rover Discovery at home which will probably go bang one of the days so the extra range from the ID3 means it can be our main car

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's a page in the VW brochure that shows which 'packs' each trim has, probably worth reading through that.

There's a big jump from Life to Business- Business adds Matrix lights, 'ArtVelours' interior, reversing camera, and keyless entry. I loved the panoramic roof my parents had in their Skoda Rapid- so it's something I'd want, so I'm going for a Family. The Style is a good compromise too, but is stock only now. It basically trades the keyless entry and reversing camera of the Business for a panoramic roof. I'd possibly take one if the price is right, but having the extras of the Family is probably worth it IMO! Got keyless and a reversing camera in my Ibiza, standard fit on the Xcellence Lux trim. Initially didn't reallty want them- only got that trim to get ACC and the alcantara interior- but have actually come to really like them.
I struggle with some of the omissions I would expect as standard . The life for me should have as standard reversing camera and all models should have 6 speakers . These are not cheap cars. They should of saved enough money by removing most the physical buttons. Reinforces my opinion, that these were rushed to the market. Now the id3 with an id4 interior would be really nice.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,025 Posts
I struggle with some of the omissions I would expect as standard . The life for me should have as standard reversing camera and all models should have 6 speakers . These are not cheap cars. They should of saved enough money by removing most the physical buttons. Reinforces my opinion, that these were rushed to the market. Now the id3 with an id4 interior would be really nice.
I don't think that the ID3 was rushed to market. The models were carefully thought out to provide a wide range of specifications and prices like you get on ICEs.

A reversing camera is not normal on the poverty spec of an ICE.

My own gripe is the omission of the pockets on the back of the front seats. Where do I put my atlas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think that the ID3 was rushed to market. The models were carefully thought out to provide a wide range of specifications and prices like you get on ICEs.

A reversing camera is not normal on the poverty spec of an ICE.

My own gripe is the omission of the pockets on the back of the front seats. Where do I put my atlas?
I instinctively compare EVs to the Toyota Prius as I see EVs as a step forward from Hybrids rather than ICE. It’s the price differential that bugs me when compared to ICE .

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go for it, great, capable cars and available in trims to suit. It's only expensive if you buy it outright but cheaper than the wife's mk7.5 GTD in all ways (except the cost of new tyres) if you are happy to finance it. Get one with alloys, they look better but that's just me.

Are there better cars? Probably. If you're a fan of the VW brand, it'll take a lot to drag you away and those other cars won't be worth the change to you.

And for anyone who wants to argue purchase vs finance, I don't care, each to their own.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.