Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's car (Fiat Qubo 1.3 diesel) is starting to cost some money as its nearly 11yrs old.
It's only £30/yr to tax and fairly economical but as the kids are in college, school runs are once a week or so. Annual mileage is now only 4000-5000miles, with longest occasional trips expected to be up to 60/70 miles round trip.
So electric makes sense.

The Fiat Qubo is a small 5 seater van/combo and suits my wife's needs..... for her business and as a work horse. So she need a high driving position and flexibility of a van type vehicle.

The Renaut Kangoo Combi looked ideal till the dealership told us about the monthly battery rental which was more than the monthly diesel costs.
As far as I can see, only the Nissan e-nv200 now fits the bill...…. unless you can suggest an alternative?????
The combi version is too expensive, as are pre-reg and I cannot find any second hand, are they really that rare?????
How "easy" is it to convert a van to a 5 seater.... Windows, seats, seatbelts??????
Interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The main van and van-type options are Peugeot Partner, Citroen Berlingo, Nissan NV200 and Renault Kangoo.

Usually battery lease options can be bought out so just ask the dealer the price to do so.

It's not quite the same, but what about a Kia Soul or left field, a Mercedes B250e? Any of those suit your wife's fancy

·
Registered
427 Posts
24kwh env200 any good?

Kangoo also doesnt do rapid charging so no good for long journeys.

Some people have converted env200 vans to cars - a guy called Sam Blakeney has one for sale on the facebook group UK Electric Vehicles and accessories for sale.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
The Renaut Kangoo Combi looked ideal till the dealership told us about the monthly battery rental which was more than the monthly diesel costs.
The recent Kangoo are battery owned. Older 22kWh ones are battery lease but costs are low - are you sure they gave you correct price? The battery rental makes the vehicle cheaper (just like shared ownership of a flat) so you need to look at total cost over per year, not just "diesel" vs "rental".

unnamed (3).png

Obviously due to range and charging a Kangoo isn't recommended for long journeys, but I wouldn't recommend the Nissan e-nv200 either! What is your wifes use going to be - miles, journey types, etc?

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
Some people have converted env200 vans to cars - a guy called Sam Blakeney has one for sale on the facebook group UK Electric Vehicles and accessories for sale.
What makes you think that is a conversion? Looks like a normal Nissan e-NV200 Evalia 7S (that was crashed and is still a bit tatty) to me. £13K for a 22kwh from 2014 with probably a bar or two missing? I would buy a Kangoo and use the savings to pay for >10 years of (low mileage) battery rental :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
What makes you think that is a conversion? Looks like a normal Nissan e-NV200 Evalia 7S (that was crashed and is still a bit tatty) to me. £13K for a 22kwh from 2014 with probably a bar or two missing? I would buy a Kangoo and use the savings to pay for >10 years of (low mileage) battery rental :cool:
Its in the comments - someone asked why it hasnt got a roof lining and he admitted its a van conversion.

Cheers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what proddick says this should be battery owned. I spy a 2nd charge port as well, could be Chademo by the size of it.... ?!?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Two slight issues - the price is plus VAT so around £3k more to pay, and the flap on the side covers a fuel filler for the additional heating that the crew-cab has. The additional heating is really weird in that it only works when the "electric engine is running", so you can't keep warm when on site unless you "run the engine" which to me defeats the object. I suspect that it is a bodge in that there is no way to pipe air from the heater at the front to rear so they added this instead. Similar units by Eberspacher are common in buses and mobile homes. The bottom line is that in common with most Zoes that age it is limited to 7kW charging even on 3 phase - it doesn't have the "Quick charge" AC or Chademo DC capability.

Also, the Renault must be the most sluggish van since the Nissan Serena diesel even if EVs feel quicker in real life than the statistics suggest:

0 to 62 mph 22.3 seconds Engine power 60 bhp
Engine Power - KW 44 Engine torque 166 lbs/ft

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 45,000 mile, 2014 van still has all 12 bars; there’s no reason to think that this one has any less!

The range is a little lower than when it was new and the low battery warning comes on at 20% now instead of 19% so there is some battery degradation but, as mentioned previously, mine still has all twelve bars and almost all of its original range.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Two slight issues - the price is plus VAT so around £3k more to pay, and the flap on the side covers a fuel filler for the additional heating that the crew-cab has. The additional heating is really weird in that it only works when the "electric engine is running", so you can't keep warm when on site unless you "run the engine" which to me defeats the object. I suspect that it is a bodge in that there is no way to pipe air from the heater at the front to rear so they added this instead. Similar units by Eberspacher are common in buses and mobile homes. The bottom line is that in common with most Zoes that age it is limited to 7kW charging even on 3 phase - it doesn't have the "Quick charge" AC or Chademo DC capability.
The crew-cab heating is kind of intriguing! If it shares the heat pump technology with the Zoe then that probably doesn't cut it in a not-really-insulated van as the Zoe heating can be a bit luke warm so maybe that's why they fitted that. I guess it only comes on when the van is "running" to stop you gassing yourself in the garage with your electric van !!

No Zoe's were limited to 7kw - they are all 43kw or 22kw max AC, earlier ones tended to be 43kw.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I hadn't appreciated that Zoe's could charge at the higher rates, which makes this from the current website regarding the Kangoo ZE 33 even stranger.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think that is because the van can only charge at 7kw, so even if its a 22kw or 43kw charger, it still takes 6 hours. It is a "last mile" delivery van aimed at fleets who dont drive that far during the day, used a lot by the french post. They can charge overnight, dont need that much range and want it cheap, i.e. wont pay for fast charging.

Ta.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Makes sense, and hence why it appears to be firmly in the commercial market rather than the luxury van / people carrier market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for some suggestions.
Renault is off the list and the Nissan, its simply too big. The Soul however looks ok and I'm viewing one next week to check it out. I also like Kia's 7yr warranty.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
Your Wife would drive a Soul? My OH wouldn't allow one on the drive let alone be a passenger if I had got one! ;) It is a Marmite car!

·
Registered
20 Posts
left field, a Mercedes B250e?
My suggestion too. If you genuinely don't want to do longer than 60 to 70 mile round trips this could be a great option, I thought it was the ev for us until I realised it lacked rapidcharging. Other than that looks like a great car for the money.

·
Registered
427 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts