Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years following discussions on SpeakEV and having said goodbye to my 2008 Toyota Prius in February, I have decided to buy an EV. I have been following conversations on the Nissan Leaf 24/30 forum and, more recently, on this forum.
Whereas on the Leaf forum much is made of using an OBD-II dongle to check the battery before making a purchase, I don't see much of this here, is there a reason? I am leaning towards the Soul and would be grateful for any input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im not sure what your budget is but I would consider MY2018 Soul EV (30kwh actual - from October 2017). I would also look at 28kwh Ioniq.

If you can't find one in Autotrader (but a lot are falsely advertised as 30kwh), lookup the ones coming up in BCA Car auctions. If you like one I would recommend Jonathan @ eco-cars.net, I belive he charges a flat £300 and has a trade account.

The ODB II doesn't show too much. Torque Pro - with correct files for will show %SOH, but all its almost always 100% on 30kwh, but is more useful for 27kwh. Also due to a bug it shows a lower %SOH figure after a couple of minutes.

I would watch the carpervert used Soul youtube

·
Registered
311 Posts
It looks like my lease didn’t make its reserve (as it was listed for sale yesterday) they are trying again tomorrow, so you could ask Jonathan to lowball on that (you’ll need to sign up to a free BCA account to see the listing https://auctionview.bca.co.uk/Results/LotDetail/e70c8d61bcc344ce8df00603e2a447c7?VehId=08786e61-0e52-40cf-b1c2-395c87baa2b8&FromSearch=true&searchQuery=q=Kia%20Soul%20ev&bq=&sort=Relevance&missingMileage=True&awaitingAppraisal=True&page=0&extraFiltersActive=true&returnTo=MT18WXE&promoAppliedSets=&Source=Search&vrm=MT18WXE

·
Registered
83 Posts
@shikoku14 The 100%SoC shows 104 miles. Is it 30kwh? as the GOM of 104 seems a bit low? (Though last journey could have been on Motorway)

Were you given a option to buy the car?

I am happy with white/cyan soul but the Grey Metallic is the best colour. This could be best auction car as the problem with auction cars is you can't ask the previous owners any questions.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It had been parked since early April and I’d had a few weeks of bad weather runs over to Manchester (76 mile round trip mainly at motorway speeds) so the GOM is lagging. If it had been driven around the past couple of months (especially in lockdown) it would have been between 130-140.

I didn’t ask, but when I signed up for the lease they did say that wouldn’t be an option. As it stands we don’t really need two car for the next 6+ months so I was happy to let it go back to Lex/BCA.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure what your budget is but I would consider MY2018 Soul EV (30kwh actual - from October 2017). I would also look at 28kwh Ioniq.

If you can't find one in Autotrader (but a lot are falsely advertised as 30kwh), lookup the ones coming up in BCA Car auctions. If you like one I would recommend Jonathan @ eco-cars.net, I belive he charges a flat £300 and has a trade account.

The ODB II doesn't show too much. Torque Pro - with correct files for will show %SOH, but all its almost always 100% on 30kwh, but is more useful for 27kwh. Also due to a bug it shows a lower %SOH figure after a couple of minutes.

I would watch the carpervert used Soul youtube
Thanks for the reply. My budget is £14000. I expect to pay around £1000 for the charger and installation. I'm don't think that will be enough for a 30kWh model. I have watched the video and that is what tempted me to go with the Soul rather than the Leaf.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like my lease didn’t make its reserve (as it was listed for sale yesterday) they are trying again tomorrow, so you could ask Jonathan to lowball on that (you’ll need to sign up to a free BCA account to see the listing https://auctionview.bca.co.uk/Results/LotDetail/e70c8d61bcc344ce8df00603e2a447c7?VehId=08786e61-0e52-40cf-b1c2-395c87baa2b8&FromSearch=true&searchQuery=q=Kia%20Soul%20ev&bq=&sort=Relevance&missingMileage=True&awaitingAppraisal=True&page=0&extraFiltersActive=true&returnTo=MT18WXE&promoAppliedSets=&Source=Search&vrm=MT18WXE
Hi, I have now signed up with BCA, thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I’d expect this to go for well under that, my guess would be circa 12-13K. Although it’s worth emailing Jonathan Porterfield at eco-cars.net to get an idea of costs involved on top of final sale price. The car is riding on Michelin CrossClimates, the repair to damage on the rear is not noticeable to the naked eye (I clipped a wall and got a on the drive fix to make sure it didn’t deteriorate), they also don’t mention they have done a smart fix to the passenger side front bumper /wheel arch area which my wife managed to ding (I did the rear so we were even over two years).

One other thing to note, I had to jump the 12V battery a week before collection, due to it sitting so long (I was turning on the car for 30 mins every couple of week as this chargers the 12V from the traction battery, but well worth considering replacing it if you were to buy the car). Aside from that you’d be set with 5 years of Kia warranty remaining (actually another note the car missed its two year service due to lockdown, it was taken off lease before it was due at the start of May), so you’ll want to get that done right away (Kia servicing is pretty cheap, should be under £100, not the rip off that Nissan service is.....)

I also owned a 24kWh Leaf Tekna and the ride and interior refinement were a big step up from the Leaf the big thing is that the range meter is pretty reliable, and doesn’t have the schizophrenic range swings the Leaf and other EVs are prone to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d expect this to go for well under that, my guess would be circa 12-13K. Although it’s worth emailing Jonathan Porterfield at eco-cars.net to get an idea of costs involved on top of final sale price. The car is riding on Michelin CrossClimates, the repair to damage on the rear is not noticeable to the naked eye (I clipped a wall and got a on the drive fix to make sure it didn’t deteriorate), they also don’t mention they have done a smart fix to the passenger side front bumper /wheel arch area which my wife managed to ding (I did the rear so we were even over two years).

One other thing to note, I had to jump the 12V battery a week before collection, due to it sitting so long (I was turning on the car for 30 mins every couple of week as this chargers the 12V from the traction battery, but well worth considering replacing it if you were to buy the car). Aside from that you’d be set with 5 years of Kia warranty remaining (actually another note the car missed its two year service due to lockdown, it was taken off lease before it was due at the start of May), so you’ll want to get that done right away (Kia servicing is pretty cheap, should be under £100, not the rip off that Nissan service is.....)

I also owned a 24kWh Leaf Tekna and the ride and interior refinement were a big step up from the Leaf the big thing is that the range meter is pretty reliable, and doesn’t have the schizophrenic range swings the Leaf and other EVs are prone to.
Thanks for that, I was worried that the warranty would lapse having missed a service.I have emailed Jonathan but haven't had a reply so I guess I will miss out. Minor bodywork issues are not much of a problem, my son-in-law is a car body repair and paint sprayer. Back in 2017 I had ride in a Tekna 24kWh, the dealer assured me that it would do 120 miles on a charge. I liked all the tech but not the black interior.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"120 miles from a 24kWh Tekna", the dealer lied and it would be virtually impossible. The 30kWh Soul EV will easily do it Summer/Autumn and Spring, as long as you're are not driving at Motorway speeds.

Call him on his mobile.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If he does get back to you, the issue with the brakes it mentions in the report is that the 12V has gone flat (this happened to me a week before collection as I outlined here - Lease car collection experiences.), it will need a jump and probably replacing (should be under £100)

Reactions: Dave T120r

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If he does get back to you, the issue with the brakes it mentions in the report is that the 12V has gone flat (this happened to me a week before collection as I outlined here - Lease car collection experiences.), it will need a jump and probably replacing (should be under £100)
Jonathan has got back to me. I did ask him to bid on your car but it had gone. He suggested that it went for around £14100 which with his and BCAs charges would have put it out of my price range.
Thanks for your advice and information.
I will keep looking.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Jonathan has got back to me. I did ask him to bid on your car but it had gone. He suggested that it went for around £14100 which with his and BCAs charges would have put it out of my price range.
Thanks for your advice and information.
I will keep looking.....
Dang that is more than I was expecting (good for Lex getting some money back on their lease vehicle), good luck with your search, there should be a steady stream of Souls coming through over the next couple of months from those of us who took out the 24 months Drive Electric deal on them, so you may get lucky, its a great car (and in my book much better than a 24/30kWh Leaf if you can find one in your budget)

Reactions: Dave T120r

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought £13K would have been a bargain, so wasn't suprised it went for £14K as it had very low miles. Its probably a trader who will see it on over £16K

Create an alert on Autotrader, but only for for private sales only as they will be closer to your price range.

SOUL EVs are very rare so unlike Leafs you will have to move quick. I had to when I bought mine, I saw it on Autotrader at 11am, and arranged to see it after work. The seller (Maths tutor/examiner) had 2 calls for the car during my test drive. I loved the car and it was mine at 7pm. This was in June, so late lockdown period, hence I think I got it for slightly cheaper. ( £12K - 67 plate 30kwh with 36k miles ).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought £13K would have been a bargain, so wasn't suprised it went for £14K as it had very low miles. Its probably a trader who will see it on over £16K

Create an alert on Autotrader, but only for for private sales only as they will be closer to your price range.

SOUL EVs are very rare so unlike Leafs you will have to move quick. I had to when I bought mine, I saw it on Autotrader at 11am, and arranged to see it after work. The seller (Maths tutor/examiner) had 2 calls for the car during my test drive. I loved the car and it was mine at 7pm. This was in June, so late lockdown period, hence I think I got it for slightly cheaper. ( £12K - 67 plate 30kwh with 36k miles ).
Hi, I will look at the Autotrader thing. I have no access to private transport during the week so I will have to hope that something comes up at the weekend.
I will keep looking.
Thanks to all who posted on this conversation.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,390 Posts

Can you see the prices offered/missed/etc?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,390 Posts
I wonder if mine will show up?

Curious to see what they list.

I don't know what some people do with their cars. Mine had a singular stone mark on one bumper corner about 1mm wide. I think they guy really had to hunt for that one, didn't have anything else to see so probably felt he had to find something! I couldn't really see it when he pointed it out, he was probably making it up!! ... ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts