Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
They have a £20K cheaper Model 3 on the same terms for a total cost of £17K. You pays and you takes, I guess.
Cheaper deals are available elsewhere especially for 4 year leases. The Audi does seem cheap though only for 5k miles pa. It looks like Audi can't shift them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's a bit of apples and oranges comparison... An old, used car compared a brand new one... Do you know ANYTHING about the service and owner/handling history of that BMW at all...? Personally I would not buy a second hand BMW BECAUSE of the risks involved in unknown previous ownerships. I know quite a few BMW owners and none of them had ANY problems over the last 4-5 years, all serviced their cars at certified BMW service points and handled their cars as I would, otherwise I would have been a bit more sceptical in buying one last year... But of course, there are lemons in every brand, even in BMW. The problem is that Tesla seems to have a LOT of different minor or major issues, which would really upset me as an owner.
DID you miss the part about bmw has a RECALL on that car FOR that problem ? it is such a big problem that they are fixing it for FREE.

·
Registered
407 Posts
No, I can't imagine that, not with a Tesla. Did you read this thread...?
Hi. I’m just browsing so may have lost the plot on the tread. So please excuse me if I cut across it; it’s not intended.
I have a M3 SR+. 9k miles in four months. Great. A few minor snags that were fixed quickly and efficiently. Really nice people and service at the Service Centre, including a loan car for the day.

Interesting experience today. I drove the A66 east from Penrith this morning. Followed a snow plough at one stage. Interesting to see it actually ploughing. But my point is I use Autopilot all the time on motorways and dual carriageways. I often use it too on major A roads that are single carriageway providing there is a clear edge to the road and white lines. I suddenly realised today that I was using it with snow at the edge of the road hiding the grass verge. And then hiding the edge of the central reservation when the road became a dual carriageway. But Autopilot was working so well I forgot it. As soon as I remembered the weather conditions I paid even more attention but I’m always ready to catch it on the rare occasions that it underperforms.

Perhaps I’m the exception to your rule but my car just works well for me. I recognise that others have differing experiences but I think it’s unfair to rubbish ALL M3s.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I might be blinded by Tesla love, but I don't see an EV to replace the Model 3 that offers a similar or better package.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Tesla are ahead of the competition, there's no doubt. At the moment anyway. I am sure that their impact on the car market is forcing change to happen amongst the traditional manufacturers much quicker than they would like. The Audi, BMW etc marques are so used to controlling the market that Tesla are a thorn in their side, which can only be good for the consumer and the 'planet'

·
Registered
978 Posts
DID you miss the part about bmw has a RECALL on that car FOR that problem ? it is such a big problem that they are fixing it for FREE.
Be nice if Tesla actually acknowledged they had the odd design issue and fixed them, the recall on the steering rack bolts seems to be forced upon them as a safety item. But failed heaters, door handles, saving $3 on memory choice in the MCU meaning they go pop after a few years, etc etc should all be addressed.

BMWs aren’t fault free. Our i8 had a coolant sensor that tripped a few times with an advisory. I picked up the phone and spoke to someone, they saw the car the next day, they fixed it. Teslas experience when AP failed was book via an app, wait 2 months for a appointment, get accused it was because I’d had the tracking done (which was irrelevant as it was 3 months before Ap failed), and it’s still not right although better than it was.

Everyone has good and bad experiences, knows someone who would or wouldnt touch a brand again for one reason or another. What I do know is Tesla are nothing like the company they were a few years ago in terms of attitude to fixing issues.

Back to the question, no EV is going to work in my opinion. You either do lots of miles in which case other EVs are compromised on the charging front or you don’t do many miles in which case you may as well buy a 2 year old petrol car and help save the planet by not needing another car to be made. While afore mentioned i8 was being fixed I wandered around the used cars and there’s a lot of cheap stuff out there compared to Tesla. Not suggesting this here but an M6 Gran Coupé for £30k at a dealer.. that and 50k miles of petrol for the same price as a model 3 performance. But also plenty of £20k lightly used cars to pick from.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Be nice if Tesla actually acknowledged they had the odd design issue and fixed them, the recall on the steering rack bolts seems to be forced upon them as a safety item. But failed heaters, door handles, saving $3 on memory choice in the MCU meaning they go pop after a few years, etc etc should all be addressed.

BMWs aren’t fault free. Our i8 had a coolant sensor that tripped a few times with an advisory. I picked up the phone and spoke to someone, they saw the car the next day, they fixed it. Teslas experience when AP failed was book via an app, wait 2 months for a appointment, get accused it was because I’d had the tracking done (which was irrelevant as it was 3 months before Ap failed), and it’s still not right although better than it was.

Everyone has good and bad experiences, knows someone who would or wouldnt touch a brand again for one reason or another. What I do know is Tesla are nothing like the company they were a few years ago in terms of attitude to fixing issues.

Back to the question, no EV is going to work in my opinion. You either do lots of miles in which case other EVs are compromised on the charging front or you don’t do many miles in which case you may as well buy a 2 year old petrol car and help save the planet by not needing another car to be made. While afore mentioned i8 was being fixed I wandered around the used cars and there’s a lot of cheap stuff out there compared to Tesla. Not suggesting this here but an M6 Gran Coupé for £30k at a dealer.. that and 50k miles of petrol for the same price as a model 3 performance. But also plenty of £20k lightly used cars to pick from.
Plenty of £2k cars too which will still last a long time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Perhaps I’m the exception to your rule but my car just works well for me. I recognise that others have differing experiences but I think it’s unfair to rubbish ALL M3s.
I don't believe the OP and others were rubishing all M3's, there's just a bit of a clash between overprotective owners and people that have very real personal opinions. My wife loves prawns, but I HATE them, no matter how many people try and convince me that they're nice and I should buy them, they are wrong and prawns are horrible!
Some people love quirky technology (myself included) others hate it.
The main point here is that the OP has decided that maybe the Tesla life isn't for him and is looking for suggestions, not that he believes no one should own a Tesla.
I've got a Mercedes hire car while my 3 is in the SC, and if I had have spent 40k this Merc I would be taking it back, it's a bloody terrible car, but I see plenty of them about on the road.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Tesla are ahead of the competition, there's no doubt. At the moment anyway. I am sure that their impact on the car market is forcing change to happen amongst the traditional manufacturers much quicker than they would like. The Audi, BMW etc marques are so used to controlling the market that Tesla are a thorn in their side, which can only be good for the consumer and the 'planet'
I can relate owning a Tesla to owning a Lotus. Both have lots of great features as well as some stupid downsides that could be fixed with little effort.

If Teslas ever became ‘perfect’ they would also be a little boring because they’re not pushing the envelope anymore.

Maybe I’ll test the waters with the Porsche. See what the other pastures are like...

·
Well-Loved Member
983 Posts
Cheaper deals are available elsewhere especially for 4 year leases.
Cheaper than that e-tron? Show me where. We seem to be dancing around the fact the bigger, plusher, pricier, better appointed Audi is a hugely compelling proposition for any prospective EV owner with a Model 3 budget willing to trade supercharger access and on-trend faux green cred for fit, finish and features.

The Audi does seem cheap though only for 5k miles pa. It looks like Audi can't shift them.
Perhaps these deals come up from time to time? You know, like the one you had.

·
Well-Loved Member
983 Posts
I've got a Mercedes hire car while my 3 is in the SC, and if I had have spent 40k this Merc I would be taking it back, it's a bloody terrible car, but I see plenty of them about on the road.
Knowing that your M3 is quietly growing a three week layer of green algae at the SC while opining on the terribleness of the loan car makes me wonder if there's some reward for good behaviour I don't know about?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Knowing that your M3 is quietly growing a three week layer of green algae at the SC while opining on the terribleness of the loan car makes me wonder if there's some reward for good behaviour I don't know about?
Indeed, plenty of Tesla loaners are barely road legal and dogs. It’s how most loan cars are.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I do feel somewhat guilty that I'm so disappointed by the Merc, but it's fundamentally broken. The traction control has a mind of itself and sometimes completely drops all power two meters into pulling out of a junction if it detects any slip. The gearbox on some instances has literally 2 seconds of delay between pressing the pedal and it moving. It will sometimes continue to accelerate even when you take your foot off the peddle, and my wife is so baffled by the infotainment system that she's using her phone as a sat nav.
So I can forgive my Tesla for having water in a loom as part of a design flaw that they will now fix, my patience is wearing a little thin at the lack of capacity at the SC, but I can't forgive a £40k mercedes that's gearbox and infotainment system is so poorly implemented and will never improve.

·
Well-Loved Member
983 Posts
I do feel somewhat guilty that I'm so disappointed by the Merc, but it's fundamentally broken. The traction control has a mind of itself and sometimes completely drops all power two meters into pulling out of a junction if it detects any slip. The gearbox on some instances has literally 2 seconds of delay between pressing the pedal and it moving. It will sometimes continue to accelerate even when you take your foot off the peddle, and my wife is so baffled by the infotainment system that she's using her phone as a sat nav.
So I can forgive my Tesla for having water in a loom as part of a design flaw that they will now fix, my patience is wearing a little thin at the lack of capacity at the SC, but I can't forgive a £40k mercedes that's gearbox and infotainment system is so poorly implemented and will never improve.
Yes, mainstream MBs are proper shitboxes. Drove one of the "acclaimed" new A-Class models in France last year and was overwhelmed by how underwhelming it was. Pretty car, but pretty awful to drive. I find it quite sad when you consider how the simple, reliable and understated W201 and W124 designs gave MB the reputation it is still trading off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not rubbishing the M3, just that it is not my car and I don't envy anyone having ANY Tesla model, otherwise I'd have one by now. If you like your M3, that's fine, but I would NOT be happy with it. That's just it. I never said it's rubbish, I know several Tesla owners so it not just something I have seen on YouTube, seen several models from up close, ever since the first model started selling in Sweden and not a single one appealed to me so far. I have though never had an idea about the small issues before last August, when I started considering a new car, because I was not that interested in it before. I am not a BMW fanboy, nor a Tesla hater, so I went in with open mind and did my own survey on the M3 to see if it is "my car" or not. It was not, so I ended up with a BMW. Maybe I'll regret that later on, I don't know, but so far I don't have much to complain about, except their lousy Connected Drive app, which they just today finally admitted there is something wrong with, after almost three months of discussions and mail messages. Since my driving, or the reliability of my car is not dependent on the app, I am not that worried about it. I'd like to see the stats for my driving, but no big deal if the app is not working and not showing the statistics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes I did miss the recall. I am not a BMW fanboy and don't follow everything that's happening with all BMW models. It's just a too big company with far too many models and that particular model was NEVER on my list of interesting cars. Anyway, a recall is good because it means that the company admitted they are the root of the problems, not you, the customer, so they fix it for free.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts