Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a VW ID.3 and I’m not really getting on with the minimalist interior and the way virtually everything in the car is done through the infotainment screen.

I’m casting around for something better in those respects. My first thought was the Skoda Enyaq, which has a much nicer interior but the operation of everything through the screen is pretty much the same.

Next up for consideration is the e-Niro in 4+ guise, which is why I am here.

I can see the interior is much more traditional and there are knobs and buttons galore. A particular bugbear with the ID.3 is the lane assist in that it’s a faff to turn off (three actions through the screen again) and it comes back on every time you come back to the car, even if you have only been away for a couple of minutes. What’s the situation with the e-Niro? I can see it has lane assist, but how easy is it to disable it and is the setting persistent?

What’s the Kia like in terms of build quality? Rattles and squeaks really annoy me so I’d be looking for something on a par with the VW at least. Anyone experienced both and can comment?

Last up is ride quality. I see the e-Niro comes on 17” wheels which can only be a good thing. My ID.3 is just about acceptable on 18”. I dismissed the ID.4 as it comes on 20s as a minimum and DCC is not available as an option. Lincolnshire’s roads are mostly only slightly better than driving over the surface of the moon, so the softer the better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lane assist is easy to deal with, I came from a Superb MK3 which had a reasonable build, it had more soft plastics than the KIA, but I would say that the KIA build quality is very good, I have not had a single rattle and the interior finish is good, my only issue is the piano black which the Superb had as well, looks nice but just don't touch it, it will mark so easily.

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
34 Posts
Every time i get in the car - the buttons for lane assist and vess turned off, autohold brake turned on, have put little rubber adhesive pads on those buttons so easy to find in the dark without looking (someone on here post great idea).
Even though i have to do this every time i start the car it honestly doesnt bother me which im sure it would if i had to go through various sub menus on a touchscreen

·
Registered
108 Posts
A particular bugbear with the ID.3 is the lane assist in that it’s a faff to turn off (three actions through the screen again) and it comes back on every time you come back to the car, even if you have only been away for a couple of minutes. What’s the situation with the e-Niro? I can see it has lane assist, but how easy is it to disable it and is the setting persistent?
One button to turn off if it offends. I only find it an issue on the smaller grade of country road where I might not wish to be confined completely to one lane, most of the rest of the time I leave it on. Deactivation isn't persistent - I think the Euro NCAP safety requirements say that to be counted this sort of equipment must always activate for each fresh trip, so you won't find (m)any cars where it can be turned off.

What’s the Kia like in terms of build quality? Rattles and squeaks really annoy me so I’d be looking for something on a par with the VW at least. Anyone experienced both and can comment?
Build quality seems very good. Not much in the way of rattles etc. Slight amount of lateral give in the drivers door control panel, which does annoy on right-hand bends as it then squeaks, but not enough to get me to take it in to the dealers (yet!).

Last up is ride quality. I see the e-Niro comes on 17” wheels which can only be a good thing. My ID.3 is just about acceptable on 18”. I dismissed the ID.4 as it comes on 20s as a minimum and DCC is not available as an option. Lincolnshire’s roads are mostly only slightly better than driving over the surface of the moon, so the softer the better.
Ride quality is pretty fair. It's not a car that particular encourages or rewards fast driving and rapid changes of direction, although it can shift along if asked. It's heavy and you feel the extra weight. When driven fairly smoothly the ride is quite compliant. No complaints.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s great guys, thanks very much.

If it is a single discrete button for the lane assist, I can live with that. In all my previous ICE cars I was in the habit of pressing the button to disable the stop/start at the beginning of each journey so it would be much the same. It’s just such a faff in the VW - you have to get the screen into the page for the various assist features, select the option for lane assist and then turn it off and then get the screen back to where you started. Every. Single. Time. You can’t even do it instantly as it takes the system about 30 seconds to wake up when you start the car.

I’m surprised that auto hold has to be re-enabled for each journey. This is a feature I do like and always use.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I’ve got a VW ID.3 and I’m not really getting on with the minimalist interior and the way virtually everything in the car is done through the infotainment screen.

I’m casting around for something better in those respects. My first thought was the Skoda Enyaq, which has a much nicer interior but the operation of everything through the screen is pretty much the same.

Next up for consideration is the e-Niro in 4+ guise, which is why I am here.

I can see the interior is much more traditional and there are knobs and buttons galore. A particular bugbear with the ID.3 is the lane assist in that it’s a faff to turn off (three actions through the screen again) and it comes back on every time you come back to the car, even if you have only been away for a couple of minutes. What’s the situation with the e-Niro? I can see it has lane assist, but how easy is it to disable it and is the setting persistent?

The LKA switch is just below and to the right of the steering wheel.
Now a habit to prod as part of the start up sequence :)
I only switch it on for motorway cruising.

Ride is fine. No rattles/squeaks at all. Those really show up in an EV.
On some types of road surface, the tyres can be a bit noisy is my only critique in that area.
That's not usually the road condition, it's the type of surface.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,719 Posts
Auto hold can be unhelpful for low speed manoeuvres. I can understand why it isn’t persistent. I think the LKA can be set to just beep, irritating enough, but avoid the often incorrect steering corrections.

The trend towards everything important being on a touchscreen is really unfortunate. I do like the physical buttons in the Niro

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Auto hold can be unhelpful for low speed manoeuvres. I can understand why it isn’t persistent. I think the LKA can be set to just beep, irritating enough, but avoid the often incorrect steering corrections.

The trend towards everything important being on a touchscreen is really unfortunate. I do like the physical buttons in the Niro
Is it just a single button press to turn the auto hold on?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,106 Posts
Yes. I’m glad it’s not permanently on. Parking in tight spots would be a nightmare. Peter.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You see I’ve never found it a problem in any of the seven previous cars (6 x VAG and a BMW) I’ve had with the feature, all of which have left it permanently turned on. I can live with anything that’s just a single button to turn on though - as long as no damned screens are involved.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,524 Posts
You see I’ve never found it a problem in any of the seven previous cars (6 x VAG and a BMW) I’ve had with the feature, all of which have left it permanently turned on. I can live with anything that’s just a single button to turn on though - as long as no damned screens are involved.
I have a Kona (basically very similar underpinnings to the eNiro) and the implementation of auto-hold is nowhere near as well developed or refined as in VAG and BMW cars. Having it always on in those cars was, as you say, absolutely fine. Having it always on in the Korean cars would probably end up eventually with you bumping into something. It’s not great.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
159 Posts
I've never had auto-hold before, and frankly I don't really see the point of it.
if I'm stopped at lights for a long time I use the parking brake.
If I'm just stopping for a short while I use the foot brake. The cars built in creep seems to stop any rollback, and without having to balance a clutch, I can move to the accelerator quickly.
Pulling the left paddle when stationary puts the motor in hold anyway.

What am I missing out on?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been having a glance through Autotrader this morning. The 4+ looks like a nice car but I don't really see it being worth £40,000 and there are not many discounts around.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
159 Posts
The loss of the £3k grant certainly pushes the Kia into a different price bracket.
There's the 2 Long Range of course, but that misses out on a lot of the toys.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,524 Posts
I've been having a glance through Autotrader this morning. The 4+ looks like a nice car but I don't really see it being worth £40,000 and there are not many discounts around.
It’s probably isn’t really - it’s more cost consciously engineered car with an expensive battery strapped to it and then splattered with equipment which you may or may not really need. If you are used to VAG & especially BMW cars I would definitely make sure you get a very long test drive if considering the Kia. If it’s anything like the sister Hyundai Kona I’ve got, it may not be quite what you’re used to in terms of the feel of the main controls, and may prove to be disappointing in that regard. Of course, you may not be too concerned about that given the other benefits (range, efficiency and a more conventional interior), but good to go in knowing what you’re getting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s probably isn’t really - it’s more cost consciously engineered car with an expensive battery strapped to it and then splattered with equipment which you may or may not really need. If you are used to VAG & especially BMW cars I would definitely make sure you get a very long test drive if considering the Kia. If it’s anything like the sister Hyundai Kona I’ve got, it may not be quite what you’re used to in terms of the feel of the main controls, and may prove to be disappointing in that regard. Of course, you may not be too concerned about that given the other benefits (range, efficiency and a more conventional interior), but good to go in knowing what you’re getting.
That's the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to. It's not really fair to compare with my ICE BMW, but it is with my Family spec ID.3. I got that for a smidge over £30,000. Admittedly that was a pre-reg and it had attracted what was the £3000 grant at the time, but even so it still leaves the eNiro at 33% more expensive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The LKA switch is just below and to the right of the steering wheel.
Now a habit to prod as part of the start up sequence :)
I only switch it on for motorway cruising.

Ride is fine. No rattles/squeaks at all. Those really show up in an EV.
On some types of road surface, the tyres can be a bit noisy is my only critique in that area.
That's not usually the road condition, it's the type of surface.
LKA does not have to be switched on for the LFA to work with SCC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts