Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
EGGY
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another one, Mrs H is a big fan, I like the performance of the the ID3, the space and the proper doors but don't fancy buying new and paying that money and that interior looks awfully plasticky (might pop down and have a look). Will look for a 1 year old ish car, maybe an S not that fussed, although not keen on that darker interior 9we have Loft) which many of them seem to come with.

So quick question, has anybody negotiated a cheap/free warranty extension ? My renewal is £718 for the current car.

·
EGGY
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's plenty around, lot's of very low mileage "been on an airfield for a year" cars. Ideally we'd get a 2019 69 to give us 2 years of warranty left on it.

Wandered down to our local dealer to have a look a coupe of cars and popped into the VW dealer next door. Have to say the ID.3 knocks the i3 for six, what seems to be the same footprint but far bigger inside, proper rear doors, a much bigger boot, faster charging and a bigger battery with great efficiency (and hence range). One way or other I'll be in an i3 for a year or 2 and then move to an ID.3 for the second car I think.

Door caps are quite plasticky it's true and give them a year or 2 to sort out the software.

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
Have to say the ID.3 knocks the i3 for six, what seems to be the same footprint but far bigger inside
I'd hope so. The i3 is 7 years old which is forever in EV design. Rumours are VW picked up engineers from project-i. If true, this could be more or less the 4 door car that BMW declined to build.

For the 2 years from now car, the Mazda MX-30 looks promising. As an i3 owner, it looks exactly like what I'd expect if Mazda built a better i3. The launch model has range from 2017 but I doubt that will be the only offering.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
If your annual mileage is moderate do you really need a warranty if the car is not one of the early ones? Put the money in a 'just in case' repair fund instead.

I have just done year 4 in an i3 without any warranty and the car passed its bi-annual service with a clean bill of health. I have had the car for two years now and it is presently (fingers crossed) working out cheaper per annum including depreciation than the 24 kWh LEAF car it replaced.

On;y one warning message about a headlight not being able to adjust after I had parked the car into the wind with driving rain.

At the same age the LEAF was occasionally putting up a drive error that I had to clear using LEAFSpy that looked as if it was going to be expensive so coupled with declining battery capacity decided the car was not a keeper and sold it for the i3. One of my better moves.

i3 trim rattles a bit more than the LEAF did. BMW should do better. We have boneshaker, pothole strewn, roads around here but apart from that the car is just as one would expect it to be.

At the moment if the 94Ah REx had to go I would take another two year old i3 but this time a 120Ah and wait until one could get a 2 year old ID3 with a better standard of trim than the basic which would be a bit too low rent after the i3. Agree the interior space in the ID3 is going to be a big selling point since the car remains outside an easy size to get around restricted spaces and narrow roads. Honda e is lovely but the battery is too small and the car is not very efficient.

I would be wary of a car that has sat on an airfield. I had one once. It was a great deal since they wanted them gone but it had several problems that had to be sorted out under warranty. Cars like to be used. It does them no good to be static for long periods.

·
EGGY
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair I was being glib, I don't know if they store them on airfields but you have to wonder .... and yes would agree it's not the greatest idea. Your right, there's no need to swap cars and I'm not sure how much more a 120ah would give us over the rex real world. My wife loves the driving ease of the i3, it's mainly used for local work now wee have the TM3 but prior to that we had used it for longer journeys in the UK. I had intended to sell it when I bought the Tesla but my wife was reluctant and she sealed it with the line "do you really want me driving the your car on the shopping run". She's not stupid. Part of the financial equation would be the depreciation curve of a 1 year old car vs a 4 year old car (likely more). I might try selling the Up! privately (daughters can't be ar$ed with driving it seems) and then look at trade in of the i3, get it serviced and not buy the warranty. The potential for trouble with the Rex has played on my mind in the past so the simplicity of full BEV is also a driver.

There's a nice black S in Wolverhampton ..........

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Only you can work out the best choice between certain larger depreciation cost of a newer 120Ah and the possible repair cost of an older 94Ah with REx. Complicated when the older car gives you more overall range and is dual fuel compared with the larger battery. Now if BMW did a 150-180Ah that would be a different story. Living in hope for a final long range version of the i3.

For me state of public charging is the deciding factor, not good enough yet to chop to the 120Ah and avoid the complexity of the little used but valued (Plan B built in) REx.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,251 Posts
If the current I3 you have is owned outright you could sell it and lease something else cheaper. Anything under warranty is low risk.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
533 Posts
Yes, it's interesting. The i3 has the same wheelbase and overall dimension as many small-ish cars, but nowhere near the interior space. Mainly because of the pinched in shape where the wheels seem to stick right out the sides. Presumably something about keeping all the weight inboard to aid handling I guess...

·
EGGY
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pondering a change is probably more of a result of a weekend of constant rain driving me to boredom ! Have to say it's a pity BMW seemed to give up the ghost on the car for a number of years (hence the engineers buggering off to VW and elsewhere), talk of the new battery is 2022, would have thought the ID.3 will eat up i3 sales in-between now and then.
Having the Tesla makes you forget what a pain in the ar$e the public charging network is, I've never had a problem with finding a charger when journeying in the i3 but my do you have to plan for faulty charge points, multiple apps and RFID cards. ompared to plug, charge and pay it's madness. VW we charge, what a joke. Pay a monthly subscription for the right to pay more than you would on Instavolt PAYG ? Obviously viewed as an opportunity to generate revenue from new EV drivers. Can't say that's helping rebuild trust in "the brand".

·
Registered
153 Posts
The relatively cheap 68 reg 120Ah cars with sub 4k miles on that are dotted around the dealer network and some independents are all ex DriveNow - defunct BMW backed hourly rental scheme thing.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
The relatively cheap 68 reg 120Ah cars with sub 4k miles on that are dotted around the dealer network and some independents are all ex DriveNow - defunct BMW backed hourly rental scheme thing.
Good Int. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Pondering a change is probably more of a result of a weekend of constant rain driving me to boredom ! Have to say it's a pity BMW seemed to give up the ghost on the car for a number of years (hence the engineers buggering off to VW and elsewhere), talk of the new battery is 2022, would have thought the ID.3 will eat up i3 sales in-between now and then.
Having the Tesla makes you forget what a pain in the ar$e the public charging network is, I've never had a problem with finding a charger when journeying in the i3 but my do you have to plan for faulty charge points, multiple apps and RFID cards. ompared to plug, charge and pay it's madness. VW we charge, what a joke. Pay a monthly subscription for the right to pay more than you would on Instavolt PAYG ? Obviously viewed as an opportunity to generate revenue from new EV drivers. Can't say that's helping rebuild trust in "the brand".
All part of the slow march to the car as a service instead of a product. The manufactures have to find a way to keep the revenue coming in when shifting the product from ICE to EV since it badly disrupts the opportunities to turn a steady profit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just chopped in our (leased) 2017 i3 for a new one. Very good deal from our local dealer that was hard to say 'no' to. We looked at a Kona, but they couldn't even get close to the figures. And I like the i3.

·
EGGY
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Int. Thanks.
Aaah, that explains why there a fair few of them knocking around. I remember seeing somebody comment at how BMW control supply, if you can it's worth being patient, I recall a 1 year old white S at the Leeds dealer up for £24k and selling for a little less (I believe).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts