Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the big push from Nissan dealers to sell more Leafs I have had a quote from my Nissan dealer to trade in our Mk1 (2011, 32k miles) for a new Mk2 Tekna.

I know that many previous Mk1 Leaf owners have upgraded and so I perhaps you might like to share your thoughts on the upgrade... not what the differences are but what you now feel about your upgrade. Are you pleased you upgraded? Any regrets? Do you consider it was worth the cost? etc

Any help and your thoughts would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
What's the motivation for the upgrade?
- extras you get with Tekna spec?
- worried about out of warranty repair costs?
- more winter range due to more efficient heating?

I've been thinking of upgrading my 2011 Gen 1 Leaf with 41k miles recently but the part exchange valuation is not great and I can't justify the extra cost even with the attractive deals on new cars currently on offer by Nissan dealers who are heavily incentivised to promote the Leaf at the moment.

The above benefits for me are more nice to have rather than really critical although the cost of repairs should anything go wrong out of warranty is a concern.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking very much the same as you @smartie... I couldn't justify the cost for the extra benefit. Clearly the changes with the Mk2 are improvements, significant ones with some of them, but the cost to upgrade was never going to be worth it in my opinion... until recently when I had a change of heart.

Last weekend I looked carefully at the inside of our 3.5 year old Leaf. The fawn-coloured interior is starting to look rather tatty and so if we are to keep the Mk1 for 5 years as intended we would almost certainly want the seat covers replaced and if we did that we would go for leather. That is £2000 we could put towards a Mk2.

Then there is the battery capacity and range reduction. We haven't yet lost a bar of capacity but it must be pretty close. 32,000 miles and a calculated 15% reduction means that sensible range is now down to 70 miles in summer, probably 55 miles in winter. That is at a careful 50-55mph. We are getting frustrated at driving slowly everywhere. At a more normal 70mph we would struggle to even get to our dealer 50 miles away! A Mk2 would reset our range back to new and allow us to drive at more normal speeds on the trips we do.

I am not concerned too much about repair costs at this stage but it has to be a factor. The 3 year car warranty is now expired and we are left with just 18 months of the 5 year battery and drive train warranty remaining.

Without the heat pump heating if we use the heater in winter it eats significantly into the already reduced range and we are a bit fed up of having to wrap up like an Eskimo just to drive our car. Also, the Mk2 has additional heating such as steering wheel, mirrors and seats. Most of which we have had on our previous few cars and we miss them.

So, all in all, now that the price is down to under £20K for a Tekna we are considering it. I just felt that if anyone had any comments to make I would love to hear them :)

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
When it came between choosing between an ex-demo Mk1 or a new Tekna, we decided to order the Tekna despite the additional cost. We previously choose to pass on the last of the new Mk1s.

I've spent some time with a Mk1 but only lived with the Tekna.

Tekna gets about 10 miles more real winter range, mostly because of the better heater. Heated seats and SW means we don't need to heat the car as much to stay comfy either.

The "Bose" sound system isn't great, but is an improvement.
The seats are better.
Light in the charge port is useful. So is B mode.
I hate electric parking brakes.
We use the surround cameras far more then I thought we would.

But for us the biggest single reason is the 6.6kW charger. We take advantage of the faster rate at least once a month.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Yes, although we just moved 10 miles closer in. The closest rapid at Chester Services is now 70 miles from home. Still just out of single charge range because of Rhuallt hill. Gave serious consideration to taking the Leaf to IKEA this weekend, but in the end we took our ageing van. Mostly because we needed the van, but also because 6.6kW charging at Slaters Nissan was going to add 1 1/2 hours to the trip.

A well placed rapid on A55 means we'd venture farther from home, but I'd still want the 6.6kW for quick top-ups at home. More than anything that's what we use it for.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I was thinking very much the same as you @smartie...

So, all in all, now that the price is down to under £20K for a Tekna we are considering it. I just felt that if anyone had any comments to make I would love to hear them :)
How are you getting under 20K for a Tekna? Is that a demo? Or some serious discounting ... local dealers here won't go anywhere near that low!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it is down to the dealer. No, this is brand new.

The way I understand it is that dealers have been told that they must meet their Leaf sales quotas to get any dealer discounts on any Nissan models. This puts dealers under huge pressure to sell Leafs and that is why my dealer... JFE Nissan... has discounted down to these prices.

If anyone is interested just contact JFE Nissan and say Paul sent you... :) Well, you don't have to say I sent you but it might give me an extra brownie point when I upgrade myself ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, spoken to dealer... I have an option to get a red Tekna, with solar panel (didn't want it but it has it so I would have to have it), 6.6kW charger... for £20,500.

The "under £20k" was for the standard Tekna without the 6.6kW charger... sorry. Just reported what I was told :)

So, not under £20K but still thinking about it.

Of course, I read about the gen3 Leaf due about 2016... the Tesla Gen 3 and who knows what else launching in the next 3 years and it makes me think... should I just stick it out with the Mk1, run it into the ground (so to speak) and wait for something better and with more range?

That kinda makes sense but I am not one for waiting or being patient and in any case... I am reluctant to rely on reports of vapourware so far ahead. So I cannot imagine holding out until then when for about £10k (cost of change) I could upgrade next week.

In any case... who knows what might happen in the next 3 years. I bought the Mk1 Leaf and Ampera because I wanted to experience and enjoy the latest in EV tech. I don't feel much different about it now and for my money the Leaf is still the best value for money of what is available.

Still thinking...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
@Paul_Churchley

Could you get £10.5k for your Gen 1? That's much higher than the part exchange quotes I got from a number of dealers for mine (albeit with 9k more miles).

Also worth bearing in mind that if you intend to upgrade again in 2-3 years time, your Gen 2 will be worth more than your Gen 1 (but by how much is an unknown) so that offsets some of the upgrade cost.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not PX but I would aim to sell it privately first. £10K for this car, or any Leaf of this age/condition, is a bargain IMO.

Anyone interested?

I am not sure that we would be looking to upgrade again in 2-3 years tbh but it isn't out of the question. However, I think it would take more than just increased range to make me want to change. It would have to be a significant improvement on the Mk2 Leaf and for our 2nd car I am not sure we would be happy spending much more. I suspect that the Gen3 Tesla will be too expensive for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
EVs are rapidly evolving. In 3 to 4 years there will be an all new Leaf, possibly the Tesla, probably a BMW i5, perhaps even an i9, possibly a BEV MINI, and probably some other new cars I'm not aware of.

I've read rumours that BMW has internal design studies for i1 though i9.

I'd expect an LCI (BMW speak for face lift) i3. We should see incremental improvements to the eGolf, eUP!, Mercdes B and Zoe could get a face lift.

Mazda have been prototyping a BEV with a small rotary engine range extender. No idea if this will ever come to product, but rotary engines are a good choice for a Rex as they provide good power to size and weight.

I'll be paying close attention to what BMW group shows at Paris. I've noticed that most recent MINI concept cars go to product. EDIT: The BMW-MINI press conference is at 6.30AM. Whatever BMW says will probably be ignored in favor of the big announcements later in the day.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I have instructed my friendly dealer to find me a car that fits my spec requirements and if he can find one and secure it then the deal is on. There is a fair chance that he can't actually find a Tekna, in my colour (Grey or Red) with 6.6kW charging that he can get hold of before the end of the month but fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dealer hijacked one from another dealer!!!

By "hijack" I mean negotiated a price for a car they were buying... probably for stock. Either way, he has a car to sell me next week.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes... got £8K which I thought was about par for the course given they will probably retail it at £10.5K including a warranty and it needed a little bit of paint work on the rear quarter (had a little scuffle with a wheelie bin... don't worry... we won!)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts