Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the A6 and A664 between Stockport and Bakewell? Trying to decide if taking Leaf or Terrano to Chatsworth House. I had a conversation with the sustainability manager but he was unable to to arrange a plug socket for the visit. It's 31 miles from Stockport Nissan so 62 return. In theory it's ok in the Leaf with 3 passengers but what are the hills like?

image.jpg

·
Registered
727 Posts
http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/ claims you would use 44% to and 42% from so 86% total in eco at 58mph (64 indicated) if you drop the default 24kWh capacity (design, not available) to 21kWh. Depends how you plan to drive though. Bit slower and you'd get some safety margin.

I found the estimator gives pretty good results on Motorways. Not yet tried it on A roads.

Used to drive out that way a lot in an ICE but never in an EV so can't really comment on suitability.

Actually there's profile info on google maps if you select cycle - but you might have to keep pushing the route back onto good roads.....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You could return via Sheffield and charge up at their Nissan dealer.

I have driven that route many times in a petrol/diesel car over the past 40 years or so. My wife is from Stalybridge. I did a similar drive in April in the Leaf: Ashton IKEA to Trowell services over the Snake Pass. We got about 70 miles out of one charge. You have to hold your nerve because the Guessometer drops like a stone as you climb the hills but you get most of it back again on the descent. I was prepared to drop into Sheffield, but I didn't need to. The weather was nigh-on perfect and I have seldom seen the White Peak look better.

The route you have chosen avoids Hayfield & Chunal Moor, which involve a good deal of climbing. Tideswell Moor is over 1000' as well, and the really hilly bit starts at Sparrowpits, where the old Mam Tor pass leaves the main road. You might have a bit of trouble if it turns out wet and windy.

Edit: I have just checked Carwings and we managed 5 mpkwh that day, over 256 miles. The total journey was from just south of Burnley. Charged at IKEA Ashton, Trowell, Newport Pagnell and arrived at home in Southend with 3% left in the battery.

So I'd say it's dependent on not driving too fast and how favourable the weather is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have to confess that when I was doing the same journey, actually Stockport to Peterborough. I felt that Stockport to Tibshelf was a step to far, but partly because I didn't think there was a possible backup charger if Tibshelf was faulty and partly because I live in the flat county of Essex and so have no feeling for how much the hills will affect the range and thought it might be "a lot". I chickened out and went via the M62, Leeds IKEA and the M1.

However, I don't know if that helps you very much. :) I'd be interested to know how you get on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll take the Leaf and if necessary return via Sheffield Nissan. We did Ikea Ashton to Tibshelf via A628 & 616 last December and arrived with 13%, so I'm happy with returning that way.

@Jason Wallace I spoke with Luke Sherlock today, and I think given more notice he may have been able to help, but given it's an event day and last minute, I understand.

@Roger Bamforth Woodall is the backup for that route. We passed Woodall on 27%. Last December, the M62 was not an option, no Ikea Leeds or Woolley Edge.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Gordon lamb Nissan at chesterfield have 7kw posts if that helps. I will be attempting this trip at Christmas but Mansfield to manchester.

There is also a Best Western at Buxton that has a 7kw charger they will let non residents use it as long as you go in a spend a bit :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
@Jason Wallace I spoke with Luke Sherlock today, and I think given more notice he may have been able to help, but given it's an event day and last minute, I understand.
Did you mention to Luke that @Kevin Sharpe and @Cara Naden can help them out with a FREE EV charging point and what great green PR they could get from this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts