Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent yesterday travelling to Winchester to collect an iMac for repair, made use of the Ecotricity Rapid at Winchester services, came home and, not thinking I'd need the car again, didn't plug-in.

5.30pm had a call from daughter asking if I could collect her from College as she had a large project that needed bringing home. College is 15.5miles away and Leaf was reporting 28miles remaining. So it was going to be an 'interesting' trip.

Took it very easy, B mode and ECO engaged, climate OFF. Managed to go quite a way without losing any range but the route has some hills and they took a large bite out of the miles. Then I regained a few using regen on the downhill bits.

Made it to the college with 15miles remaining on the clock. Strapped in and set for home. Stayed at 40mph max, windscreen misting up now so judicious use of screen blower only when needed. Had the Low Battery Warning at about 11miles IIRC? Then at about 10miles remaining on the dash the miles remaining display blanks and all I'm left with is --- and battery percentage of 9%. Helpful, not!

With 4 miles to go I know have a large hill to climb and then a coast down the other side. Just start to climb the hill when the battery percentage display also blanks - great! Why, when you need this information most do they choose to blank the displays?

I'm now worried but I know there is a Turtle mode yet to come before my passengers have to start pushing!

Get to top of hill, big sigh of relief, coast down the other side with full regen hoping it's enough to get us home and it was. Never saw Turtle Mode thankfully, that was more than enough stress for one journey.

Lesson now learnt, if it's on the drive, plug-in! And I'd installed LeafSpy the day before but, typically, forgot to being the Nexus 5 with me, the info it provides would have been very welcome here I think.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Oh the joys of EV driving :)

Sounds like you did all the right things and that got you home. Well done for that. Many wouldn't!

I find that LeafSpy is fantastically useful and I wouldn't do any long trip or any trip near the limit of range now without it.

As for not plugging in... I have Econ7 and so I deliberately don't plug in during the day and I have been caught out like that several times. If I didn't have Econ7 then I would ALWAYS plug in whenever I was at home. Sometimes I wish I could do so without it costing me more.

Did you get the Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW)? If not then you weren't quite as close to Turtle as you perhaps thought... there is the LBW then the VLBW shortly before Turtle.

Great lessons learned and all part of learning how to get the best from your EV.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW)? If not then you weren't quite as close to Turtle as you perhaps thought... there is the LBW then the VLBW shortly before Turtle..
To be honest I'm not sure. I may have, is that when the screen suggest you 'search for a charge point now?'.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
The two rules of EV driving :-

1) The EV driver always knows where his next charge is.

2) The EV driver always takes any opportunity to charge.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't disagree with those two "rules" myself but I have seen recently people suggesting that we should only charge when we actually need to charge to try to reduce the contention at public charging stations. That contradicts rule 2.

While we have such short range in our EVs I am of the mind to always charge whenever it is convenient to do so even if strictly speaking I may not need it. The thing is that we never know what diversions might be needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts