Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tempted? At up to 15K euro I suspect money better spent trading to a newer car?

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you already own an old car the cost equation could be different I guess.
I can't imagine many are taken the 62kWh option.
The upgrade to 40kWh for a gen 1 leaf for 8k Euro might well make sense for some. Sorry 10k Euro.
I was thinking of Muxsan (8790E) Products ⚡ MUXSAN

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you already own an old car the cost equation could be different I guess.
I can't imagine many are taken the 62kWh option.
The upgrade to 40kWh for a gen 1 leaf for 8k Euro might well make sense for some. Sorry 10k Euro.
I was thinking of Muxsan (8790E) Products ⚡ MUXSAN
Sticking a second battery in the boot seems a really bad idea to me and I can't see a UK insurance company being keen either. Then there is challenge of getting a low range Leaf to Delf for them to fit!

The Spanish company do seem to have thought it through. They include cost of shipping both ways, you just need to get a friendly HEVRA dealer to do the swap over (few would do DIY I guess?) As using same case I suspect insurance wouldn't be too difficult, but who knows!

With cost of used EVs really high in mainland Europe it probably makes more financial sense there. That said, maybe 9500€ for 42kWh isn't that bad if someone has a Leaf 24 with a sad battery.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sticking a second battery in the boot seems a really bad idea to me and I can't see a UK insurance company being keen either. Then there is challenge of getting a low range Leaf to Delf for them to fit!

The Spanish company do seem to have thought it through. They include cost of shipping both ways, you just need to get a friendly HEVRA dealer to do the swap over (few would do DIY I guess?) As using same case I suspect insurance wouldn't be too difficult, but who knows!

With cost of used EVs really high in mainland Europe it probably makes more financial sense there. That said, maybe 9500€ for 42kWh isn't that bad if someone has a Leaf 24 with a sad battery.
Muxsan do both replacements and additional batteries.
Also 3 phase charging if your bank balance isn't already empty :)
I believe they're looking to expand to allow others to use their tech, but not absolutely sure on that.
Interesting to see these companies appearing and bodes well for the long term life of the cars.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
The Spanish company do seem to have thought it through. They include cost of shipping both ways, you just need to get a friendly HEVRA dealer to do the swap over (few would do DIY I guess?) As using same case I s
Or just book your next holiday in Sevilla? :)

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would sell the car as-is for 5k, and put the 20k towards a 64kWh car that has a 5/7year warranty, ccs, liquid cooled battery, etc.
I agree that spending to trade up to a Leaf 40 probably makes more sense in UK, but where can you get a 64kWh Leaf for £25K? Also, I think most people would be looking at the 42kWh upgrade which would cost around £10K. If someone has a very poor battery they might struggle to sell their Leaf 24 or get scrap value offer.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
528 Posts
If someone has a very poor battery they might struggle to sell their Leaf 24 or get scrap value offer.
Yes you're right about needing more capital to buy a new car outright. Being ready to jump on a good value 24 month lease deal may be the smarter option. Last year I looked at a Leaf 24 with a low SOH that was on the market for £3k. I seriously considered it, but felt the hassle of the getting the battery upgraded (plus as @Bullterrier mentions, old tech) wasn't worth it. I went with the lease option of a new car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts