Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about these Farad roof rails which claim to fit?

VW ID.3 Farad Aero Aluminium Roof Bars | DriveDen UK

It would really help to be able to carry bikes but I can't see any easy way of having the "official" solution fitted to a leased car (not to mention the £££).

·
Registered
590 Posts
I feel like it's worth pointing out this section of the manual, which was somewhat glossed over in that particular thread. I'm 99% certain your insurance would be invalidated if you attached anything to the roof, beside the fact that it could well damage the car. I did notice the other day when it was raining that the roof does sound very thin and tinny in comparison to other cars I've had. Not a complaint, just an observation, it doesn't matter for normal use of course.

For technical reasons, the bodywork of the vehicle is not designed for fixing a roof carrier.
The vehicle is not approved for use with a roof carrier. No roof carrier may be used or retrofitted.

WARNING
If a roof carrier is installed on a vehicle which is not approved for use with a roof carrier, it may cause accidents or injuries.
  • Never fit a roof luggage carrier to the vehicle.
  • A roof carrier that is fitted nevertheless may become loose whilst the vehicle is in motion and fall from the vehicle roof.

NOTICE
Securing any kind of roof carrier can cause considerable damage to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
I feel like it's worth pointing out this section of the manual, which was somewhat glossed over in that particular thread. I'm 99% certain your insurance would be invalidated if you attached anything to the roof, beside the fact that it could well damage the car. I did notice the other day when it was raining that the roof does sound very thin and tinny in comparison to other cars I've had. Not a complaint, just an observation, it doesn't matter for normal use of course.
The roof itself is think sheet steel, yes, but the structural steel running from the A to C pillars is enormously strong.

As for legality, we’re back to the old chestnut about whether it’s legal to fit a tow bar to a car not type approved for it. The answer to that is it is legal for carrying bikes, and I don’t see why a properly designed and fitted roof rack system wouldn’t be in the same camp.

But yes, tell your insurer as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don’t see why a properly designed and fitted roof rack system wouldn’t be in the same camp.
Other than the fact that is very very specifically called out in the manual with italics and bold fonts, and the words "Securing any kind of roof carrier can cause considerable damage to the vehicle"?

I'm more likely to take note of the manufacturers instructions for something like this than an assumption that I could fit a roof rack on my other cars, so why not this one.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
Other than the fact that is very very specifically called out in the manual with italics and bold fonts, and the words "Securing any kind of roof carrier can cause considerable damage to the vehicle"?

I'm more likely to take note of the manufacturers instructions for something like this than an assumption that I could fit a roof rack on my other cars, so why not this one.
It’s funny isn’t it, because very few seem to take note of anything else VW say! 😂

I’m not up for a long debate on it, but I really struggle to see how a properly designed and fitted roof rack would damage the car. If they’re that fragile, what would happen in a rollover?

·
Registered
543 Posts
The "considerable damage" is likely to mean paintwork and the damage to your pocket if you fit anything without a VW badge on it.

The car won't be structurally affected by a few bikes on the roof, the range will suffer but we really don't need to mention battery range again 😂

Rollover tests spring to mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts