Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
995 Posts
I remember reading this was supposed to happen within 2 months of Sunderland going live. I genuinely thought they had just abandoned the plans!

Much needed for Newcastle so I am very happy to see it. I don't know if you had a quick play with the charger or not. Are these on free vend for now?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
A bit disappointed at the vestigial canopies from a Fastnet provider. A high cost for zero benefit even if they are just fancy lighting poles. Could they have a few solar panels?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
Yeah, I looked at that and said to myself, 'where's the iconic FastNed cover'. Handy if it's raining.

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Much needed for Newcastle so I am very happy to see it. I don't know if you had a quick play with the charger or not. Are these on free vend for now?
I'm not sure I only saw them on foot, I was just walking back from Tesco this afternoon.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm not sure I only saw them on foot, I was just walking back from Tesco this afternoon.
No worries. I'm up there in the morning so will pass by, try them out and post back here with an update. It'll be nice if I can get a few free charges in before the taxis find out.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,178 Posts
Those "canopies" are pointless. They won't even keep the rain off the units.
Maybe they ran out of money and they are placeholders for a proper cover?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think they are canopies, look at the FastNed logo.

It is the equivalent of the McD's Golden arches by the side of a road...pulling you in to take in the goodness...:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ah nice! Did it need any sort of access card?
Nope. Same as the Sunderland ones when it first launched. Plug in and tap start. I imagine you'll get a month or so just like Sunderland before you have to pay. At that point it's credit/debit card and fairly expensive at I think 39p/kWh

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nope. Same as the Sunderland ones when it first launched. Plug in and tap start. I imagine you'll get a month or so just like Sunderland before you have to pay. At that point it's credit/debit card and fairly expensive at I think 39p/kWh
According to their website you can also use their app or a card from another provider. There a list of supported 3rd party cards along with the associated costs here: https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204786138-Can-I-charge-with-a-charge-card-?utm_source=ZendeskEN-205419217&utm_campaign=Klant-Support&utm_medium=Hyper2 , but most of them cost more than using contactless so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to their website you can also use their app or a card from another provider. There a list of supported 3rd party cards along with the associated costs here: https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204786138-Can-I-charge-with-a-charge-card-?utm_source=ZendeskEN-205419217&utm_campaign=Klant-Support&utm_medium=Hyper2 , but most of them cost more than using contactless so I'm not sure why you'd bother.
The Maingau app says Fastned is €0.39/kWh so it is cheaper, although that could well be a mistake and it should say £0.39/kWh?
Shell Recharge app says £0.39/kWh and makes no mention of the session cost that Fastned think they charge.

edit: Looked up a Fastned site in Netherlands on Maingau and it states €0.34/kWh, so I think it might be slightly cheaper to use a Maingau card and Fastned's information is wrong!

·
Registered
995 Posts
It'll be nice if I can get a few free charges in before the taxis find out.
Well that didn't take long, it already happened with only 2 bays left free this morning and the rest taken up by taxis. Guess I'm back to the 29p/kWh of Electric Blue across the river again from now on. Free charges are nice, but definitely not worth waiting around for.

I Noticed it still wasn't showing on Zap Map yet either so I just put in a submission myself. Once it shows there it will only get busier too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Its slightly disappointing that they are only 50kw Chademo as well, could have easily gone for 100kw and just supplied 75kw without issue of overheating in summer.

And the canopies is a big loss. Panels and cover in winter and summer helps a lot. specially in summer to keep heat off cars and chargers and the worst of the elements as well.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Well that didn't take long, it already happened with only 2 bays left free this morning and the rest taken up by taxis. Guess I'm back to the 29p/kWh of Electric Blue across the river again from now on. Free charges are nice, but definitely not worth waiting around for.

I Noticed it still wasn't showing on Zap Map yet either so I just put in a submission myself. Once it shows there it will only get busier too.
Worst bit is they would rather sit there to 100% instead of going out at 80% and getting another fare or two...

·
Registered
995 Posts
Its slightly disappointing that they are only 50kw Chademo as well, could have easily gone for 100kw and just supplied 75kw without issue of overheating in summer.

And the canopies is a big loss. Panels and cover in winter and summer helps a lot. specially in summer to keep heat off cars and chargers and the worst of the elements as well.
It seems that they have either run into problems with cost, or power supply. There are less chargers than they originally planned, and they are slower than planned too from memory. I believe it was supposed to be more or less the same as the setup in Sunderland at first.

The canopy doesn't bother me personally. The Sunderland one that is covered is too tall and not wide enough to offer protection so I really don't feel like I am missing out on a lot.
Worst bit is they would rather sit there to 100% instead of going out at 80% and getting another fare or two...
The reason why I wouldn't bother waiting around isn't just the fact that they wait until 100%, but also because they like to claim free-to-use chargers as their own. Any down time. Any break. They will be plugged in even if that's trickle charging the last few percent. They will hold the charger and block multiple spaces only for the next taxi to plug in meaning the person who really needs it can't get a charge. This was a massive problem at a number of Lidl stores in the area until they introduced a charging fee.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts