Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Great news. Same location as the others?
I think they were new last month. Not aware of any others there unless I'm late to the party

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Yep, just been to have a look. Four points next to the Metro line. One pair on a small post (side B didn't work for me :(), one pair on a large advertising screen (light was not showing whether it was online or not, so I didn't test it).:rolleyes:

Also had a look in the Metro car park. No signs of any Fastned action.

Reactions: CMc1234

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Swung by Kingston Park again today. There's definite activity in the Metro car park. An area fenced off and a wide trench dug to it. Workers on site

·
Registered
94 Posts
More fastned?

The proposed sites are: the West Denton Leisure Centre in Newcastle; Church Street in Gateshead town centre; the Northumberland Business Park in Cramlington; Tynemouth Pool car park; the Dunes Entertainment Centre in South Shields; St Mary’s Multi Storey Car Park in Sunderland; and Middleton-In-Teesdale.

Can’t find original source of

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,654 Posts
More fastned?

The proposed sites are: the West Denton Leisure Centre in Newcastle; Church Street in Gateshead town centre; the Northumberland Business Park in Cramlington; Tynemouth Pool car park; the Dunes Entertainment Centre in South Shields; St Mary’s Multi Storey Car Park in Sunderland; and Middleton-In-Teesdale.

Can’t find original source of
It is good news, but I am not seeing anything to say that it will be Fastned again. Other networks are at work in the region, including plans from Chargemaster, Electric Blue, and Swarco (As well as Gridserve who have put in their own plans recently) I'd imagine it is more likely one of them instead.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,702 Posts
The report says that they spent £100k of the £600k without a single unit being installed. Just spent on consultants. Err..............

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Members of the North East JTC are due to sign off on the plans on Tuesday, with transport bosses expecting to “swiftly progress to procurement and deploy the EV charging infrastructure”.

It is expected that all of the sites will have the new charging hubs installed by the end of this summer.
So the operator is not yet decided, but up and running by the mythical 'end of summer'. I guess the operators can work fast. Just as long as it's not Electric Blue, who have still not switched on the ones in Gosforth.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Reactions: CMc1234

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Just as long as it's not Electric Blue, who have still not switched on the ones in Gosforth.
They may never get switched on. They are apparently having ongoing arguments with Northern Powergrid about the supply there and it doesn't look like there is any end in sight.

They are still continuing to install and plan several other locations in the area at the moment, so I feel like they are more than likely going to be the network who does these new ones too. The councils seem to be fans of Electric Blue now.

The fact that a number of these are already locations that have or had a CYC charger tells me it's either going to be Electric Blue (who some councils picked in favour of CYC) or they are letting Chargemaster try again with newer hardware.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chargemaster/polar/pulse/whatever they’re calling themselves today- have announced they’re going to upgrade many outdated posts with £2m funding. Wonder if this includes CYC network in Newcastle…

• Investment by bp pulse to deliver radical improvement in reliability of older UK charging infrastructure
  • bp pulse is working with local authorities to upgrade legacy charge points in their communities with new, high-quality hardware
  • Over £400,000 already committed with a further £1.5 million of funding made available for charge point owners grant funding. Further discussions are already underway relating to an additional £750,000 of funding available for legacy charge point owners, which could see over 300 units upgraded.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Chargemaster/polar/pulse/whatever they’re calling themselves today- have announced they’re going to upgrade many outdated posts with £2m funding. Wonder if this includes CYC network in Newcastle…

I hope not!
The sooner they get totally killed off by the councils the better. All the new chargemaster branded equipment they would install like their AC posts and DC ultrachargers are shockingly bad and break all the time. Given the current track record for maintenance, they would NEVER be working if they were 'upgraded' to these.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope not!
The sooner they get totally killed off by the councils the better. All the new chargemaster branded equipment they would install like their AC posts and DC ultrachargers are shockingly bad and break all the time. Given the current track record for maintenance, they would NEVER be working if they were 'upgraded' to these.
I don’t know what the alternative is though as Newcastle City Council/Gateshead don’t seem very proactive about getting the infrastructure sorted without being pushed.
Needs an local EV committee really

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I don’t know what the alternative is though as Newcastle City Council/Gateshead don’t seem very proactive about getting the infrastructure sorted without being pushed.
Needs an local EV committee really
Both have signed their contracts with Electric Blue some time ago now I believe, it just seems that EB have put a lot of things on hold since COVID became a thing. They were supposed to be taking over a lot of the CYC Locations, as well as adding some extra of their own. I believe the original plan was that the only remaining Chargemaster locations for now were supposed to be the ones used by the car clubs.

So far, the only progress I have seen is Clayton Street in Newcastle where they have ripped out the CYC Post that liked to hold people's charge cables hostage, and there is an EB 50kW Rapid awaiting commissioning. And I think they have done the same with one North Tyneside council location at Norfolk Street car park in North Shields.

I'm due to speak with someone who is partly responsible for this at Gateshead council again in the near future. So I will try to get some answers out of them as to what's going on soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Both have signed their contracts with Electric Blue some time ago now I believe, it just seems that EB have put a lot of things on hold since COVID became a thing. They were supposed to be taking over a lot of the CYC Locations, as well as adding some extra of their own. I believe the original plan was that the only remaining Chargemaster locations for now were supposed to be the ones used by the car clubs.

So far, the only progress I have seen is Clayton Street in Newcastle where they have ripped out the CYC Post that liked to hold people's charge cables hostage, and there is an EB 50kW Rapid awaiting commissioning. And I think they have done the same with one North Tyneside council location at Norfolk Street car park in North Shields.

I'm due to speak with someone who is partly responsible for this at Gateshead council again in the near future. So I will try to get some answers out of them as to what's going on soon.
Yep I fell foul of the Clayton street hostage once.
Some good info, thanks. Where did you source this?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yep I fell foul of the Clayton street hostage once.
Some good info, thanks. Where did you source this?
A mix of talking to Electric Blue when trying to chase up the installation of promised chargers, contacts at Gateshead Council, and contacts at one of the car clubs in the area.

None of the information is necessarily official nor set in stone, but most of the past information has turned out to be true (after a rather long wait to see progress!)

I'm very much hoping that it is Electric Blue who have the full contract, which so far it sounds like this is the case. The alternatives I heard about were Chargemaster which we are all too familiar with, and Grønn Kontakt who Durham recently opted for and haven't exactly went off to the best of starts with charging posts that haven't been installed nor configured correctly, and not only steep pricing per kWh, but also with connection fees and overstay fees, even on AC posts!

Swarco's name has been floating around a lot recently too, but that's about as much as I can say about them. I'm yet to hear even a hint regarding when, where, or how many we will see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A mix of talking to Electric Blue when trying to chase up the installation of promised chargers, contacts at Gateshead Council, and contacts at one of the car clubs in the area.

None of the information is necessarily official nor set in stone, but most of the past information has turned out to be true (after a rather long wait to see progress!)

I'm very much hoping that it is Electric Blue who have the full contract, which so far it sounds like this is the case. The alternatives I heard about were Chargemaster which we are all too familiar with, and Grønn Kontakt who Durham recently opted for and haven't exactly went off to the best of starts with charging posts that haven't been installed nor configured correctly, and not only steep pricing per kWh, but also with connection fees and overstay fees, even on AC posts!

Swarco's name has been floating around a lot recently too, but that's about as much as I can say about them. I'm yet to hear even a hint regarding when, where, or how many we will see.
Nice! Keep us in the loop if anything else gets mentioned please.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Nice! Keep us in the loop if anything else gets mentioned please.
Not Newcastle news, but nearby in Northumberland there seems to be change coming as of Thursday. All the chargers I have seen there are now totally unbranded with CYC Stickers removed, a new credit card terminal fitted, and a sticker or nearby sign to say that they will be charging 35p/kWh for usage as of April 1. I am assuming this is the work that Electric Blue were supposed to have done about a year ago now. That, or the council gave up and have come up with an alternative to replace them.

RE my earlier comments about Swarco, it seems that other councils are giving up on the lack of Electric Blue's progress. The North Tyneside rapid has been stripped of it's short lives EB Branding and now Swarco E.Connect. South Tyneside just installed two that have been branded Swarco from the start, and the Newcastle one on Clayton Street had been de-branded when I walked past a few days ago, now covered up with Swarco branded wrapping material as of this morning. I'm still trying to get some clarity from any of the councils to say what the plan is for their chosen networks going forward, and again will update if/when I hear more.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Thanks, yes do update us if you hear anything.

The rapids in Northumberland have been in use more often than not when I've turned up. Hopefully more of a chance of finding them available now!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts