Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,654 Posts
Thanks, yes do update us if you hear anything.

The rapids in Northumberland have been in use more often than not when I've turned up. Hopefully more of a chance of finding them available now!
Yeah, recently I've been seeing them being taken advantage of. Taxis especially, constantly sitting on them charging to 100% very slowly. Totally unnecessary but they just do it since its free. Stannington just off the A1 is the absolute worst for this.

35p does seem a little steep though. They've set themselves up at Instavolt pricing so unless they can provide Instavolt-level service and reliability it's probably not going to go down so well with people.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Yes, even 15p would put the freeloaders off, but I guess that doesn't go far once all the interested parties and councilmen's friends have had their cut ;-)

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
Kia e-niro4+
30 Posts
Not Newcastle news, but nearby in Northumberland there seems to be change coming as of Thursday. All the chargers I have seen there are now totally unbranded with CYC Stickers removed, a new credit card terminal fitted, and a sticker or nearby sign to say that they will be charging 35p/kWh for usage as of April 1. I am assuming this is the work that Electric Blue were supposed to have done about a year ago now. That, or the council gave up and have come up with an alternative to replace them.

RE my earlier comments about Swarco, it seems that other councils are giving up on the lack of Electric Blue's progress. The North Tyneside rapid has been stripped of it's short lives EB Branding and now Swarco E.Connect. South Tyneside just installed two that have been branded Swarco from the start, and the Newcastle one on Clayton Street had been de-branded when I walked past a few days ago, now covered up with Swarco branded wrapping material as of this morning. I'm still trying to get some clarity from any of the councils to say what the plan is for their chosen networks going forward, and again will update if/when I hear more.
Interesting reference to Northumbria. We’re heading to Seahouses in May for a week’s stay via visiting a very dear friend of 93 who lives in Ashington. Have been looking at ZapMap for best charging options for top up both en route and during our time exploring the beauty of Northumberland. The CYC chargers are often shown as out of action . Any advice or suggestions about most reliable charging locations/ providers from your experience locally would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
The twin Osprey at Alnwick is very reliable. M&S and Starbucks on site. And there's a couple of Northumberland rapids in town (as above, currently free, but soon 35p). Ionity due to open near the McDonalds on the other side of the A1, but I don't know when.

I've never used the Seahouses charger.

I don't know where you're coming from, but Instavolt at the A1/ A697 junction just north of Morpeth is a good shout from the South for a top up.

Again, further south (assuming you're coming from the South) 6-bay Instavolt just of the A1 at Gosforth, and a Fastned ultra rapid at Wellington Street in Newcastle, which will be useful for a Kona if you can arrive empty.\

Edited to add: a lot of those ones around Ashington and the coast listed as CYC are, I think, the council-operated ones which @80698 is talking about - about to become chargeable from 1 April. Again, no experience of them.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Interesting reference to Northumbria. We’re heading to Seahouses in May for a week’s stay via visiting a very dear friend of 93 who lives in Ashington. Have been looking at ZapMap for best charging options for top up both en route and during our time exploring the beauty of Northumberland. The CYC chargers are often shown as out of action . Any advice or suggestions about most reliable charging locations/ providers from your experience locally would be much appreciated.
Wait and see what happens with the council chargers over the next month and see how things go before ruling them out as an option, but otherwise the suggestions above about Osprey and Instavolt would be best. Not only are they reliable but there's often at least 2 chargers installed which means less chance of having to wait around to plug in if someone else is already charging.

The Ex-CYC Chargers often get reported to Zap Map as out of service but the majority of the time it's simply because they no longer have a network connection and spend most of their time in free vend.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Right. Just heard back from a car club contact who has said they have had to pull out the last couple of plug-in cars from the Northumberland fleet at ths start of this month because of the changes. The AC Posts have apparently all been ripped out and replaced with Rolec pillars on the EVcharge.online network. They are on free vend until April 1 as well.

My contact is speculating from what they heard that the rapids are to be under full control of the council making their own network which will only be accessible by contactless credit card.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro4+
30 Posts
Many thanks mad_rich and 80698 - really helpful information . Yes we are heading north from Oxfordshire - seem to be plenty of options along or near the M1/A1

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the updates. Good to see the councils pushing. I do think Northumberland Council are one of the better examples in the North East for EV infrastructure. Hopefully the can expand further with reinvestment

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I think the sweet spot for councils on rapids would be 20p/kwh and for slow/fast posts 10p/kwh would be just right as well.
Bunks off the freeloading hoggers and then cut people off from rapids when they drop below 15kw charge speed. Auto fine if they dont disconnect within 10mins as well of £1/min :)
Keeps the chargers free and stops people notbeing aware of their cars charging speed as almost all cars have apps now or dont take long to rapid charge,

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
I doubt they're making much, if any, money at 35p, once they've paid for contactless on all these chargers. Especially once the assorted interested parties and councilmen's friends have got their cut!

Instavolt aren't making money at 35p, and they're a much slicker operation.

I'd rather they kept the price high enough to keep investing/ maintaining chargers.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
The 2 rapids outside the County in Gosforth are now lit up.

Couldn’t see a way to start a charge - the qr code and ID number give no results in the Electric Blue app. Perhaps it’s not fully commissioned, or maybe waiting to go on the new Northumberland network instead of EB.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The 2 rapids outside the County in Gosforth are now lit up.

Couldn’t see a way to start a charge - the qr code and ID number give no results in the Electric Blue app. Perhaps it’s not fully commissioned, or maybe waiting to go on the new Northumberland network instead of EB.
View attachment 142768
Did you try to see if it was simply on free vend? Sometimes it just let's you tap your way through the menu and unlocks the connector for you.

If I have time this evening I might be nearby so will give it a try with my Electric Blue RFID card. I know that card let me use the ones at Metrocentre for months before app and contactless people could.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
I poked at the screen a bit, but couldn't see any way to unlock the connector. If you have an EB card, it might be worth trying.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I poked at the screen a bit, but couldn't see any way to unlock the connector. If you have an EB card, it might be worth trying.
The only way to use Tynemouth EB whilst it was on free vend was via their support number and they remotely started the charge etc. Emergency stop to stop. This was when that was first commissioned too.

Didn’t have a RFID to test that.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is this Swarco taking over CYC/Chargemaster in Norfolk street car park, North Sheilds?
As far as I know it's beside the CYC post, Swarco have a 50kW Rapid now. Technically the car club still have the rights to the charging bay for now, despite not using it so you'll probably see the AC Post remain for at least a little longer.

Both this, and the two Swarco rapids installed together in South Shields are new installs. So far the only location to be taken over is the one I mentioned in Newcastle on Clayton Street, which looks like that may also end up being on Swarco's E.Connect network too, if there are no further last-minute changes.

As for the updates I was trying to bring earlier, Northumberland County Council promised to get back to me with information but still no follow up. With the changeover taking place tomorrow I will just try to take a look for myself when I have the chance and try to work out if they are still networked or not, rather than hoping for an email to come back anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Well it's April 1 and the Northumberland rapids are still showing on CYC's website and still listed as free tariff.

If someone beats me to one of these chargers let me know what (if anything) has changed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
@80698 since you seem to be in comms with a few of the councils, do you know of any plans for them to utilise the newly introduced green number plates? Since this was handed to Local Authorities to introduce their own plans and schemes…

I’ve just read that Islington are charging £5 per hour extra for diesels to use short stay car parks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Northumberland rapids are still confirmed free vend. Stannington is plug in and press start still. Credit card terminal lit up but not in English, nor is it demanding payment.

Electric Blue at Gosforth is functional. Only left hand side one at present. RFID card works, but it's also free vend and the card is not mandatory. Tap, select connector, wait for it to unlock and plug in to your car.

@CMc1234 - Leave it with me and I'll try to get some answers. I haven't personally heard any news yet though.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
610 Posts
Damn. I tried the other unit!

81 - 100 of 119 Posts