Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
plus lamp posts are often no-longer kerb side, instead being installed on the other side of the pavement.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
222 Posts
Lampposts work in streets where the posts are at the kerbside, not (like on my street) where they're at the property side. And obviously the underlying cablework must be able to support the new current draw which I guess varies from council to council.

They're great for low cost of entry with no civil works required, but only good up to the point where you hit the limit of one (perhaps two) EVs per post.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The problem I see with all the in-pavement solutions is that they will eventually get full of water ( and more damaging stuff like dog pee) , and being underground, it will be very hard to drain it away anywhere.
I think they will also end up full of grit etc. - it looks like quite a snug fit, so wouldn't take much to make them difficult to get in and out.
And the long stalk would allow quite a lot of leverage when the local 'erberts decide to give them a kick.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
wherein the UK are popup charge points ?
I've seen at least one trial - Oxford perhaps - a good six months ago. And there was something similar but more limited in here a few weeks ago. Both actual installed hardware, not just pretty simulations.
Plenty of other kerbside solutions being bounced around at present too, so I expect there will be multiple systems around the country if not in adjacent streets.

·
Registered
931 Posts
It looks like a better solution than the last hidden pavement design where the charging post moved down into a sleeve when not in use, at least this one only has a small movement but no doubt grit and water will still be a problem. It's also no good for visitors as they won't have the special post to insert.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
In the video they don't show a pop up charger, but a flush mounted socket which you plug a "Personal Lance" into.
Oh god. I didn't actually play the video first time - the still was enough I thought - so I missed that.
So as well as carrying a cable you'd have to cart a sodding great cylinder about as well (and presumably have to pay for it too).
I really can't see that one going anywhere.

Might work if they kept communal posts in a locked cabinet nearby, but that's tricky to control.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
29 Posts
Well, they are bringing out induction charging for ev aswell. Not too sure if that's a good idea, as there are, I'm sure, ev drivers with older pacemakers witch can be a bit risky around induction.....

·
Registered
234 Posts
At first glance it sounds like a good idea or at least worth trying. Perhaps start out on a smaller scale or do developments that have half these and half something else. And then steadily scale up if working well.

It probably works best in places where real estate is valuable and there isn't much space so the extra cost is worth it like central London or New York. It probably isn't needed in a huge car park in the middle of the countryside at a service station in Wales.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Some of these similar schemes:

Also Urban Electric on Fully Charged:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Of all the on-street charging ideas I've seen, Trojan's lance approach is the most out there.
PROBLEMS
  1. ACCESS: The lance makes it a closed system, i.e. if you're not a member, you ain't charging. Most public charging networks are moving away from that approach. Including ubitricity. No special smart cable needed since late 2018.
  2. CONVENIENCE: Besides having to carry the lance around, you'll need to carry a normal type 2 cable too - in case you need to access other charge points without tethered cables.
  3. COST: The more digging, the higher the installation costs. This looks like it involves a good deal of digging and from the looks of it, quite deep to house the bit under the lance. Higher installation costs lead to higher prices for drivers.
  4. MAINTENANCE: Hopefully they can make a fully sealed compartment for the electronics that have to go underground and avoid water ingress. No idea how they prevent the top plate filling up with pavement grime and making the connection tricky. I'm sure the lance would need a tight fit with the top plate.
POSITIVES: It does look nice in the graphics.

I don't mean to pooh-pooh innovation, but this seems like a non-starter. The £3m from Innovate UK could buy a lot of charge points today or fund new ideas that solve real problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts