Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that my speedometer reads 7% too fast. This means that when I am keeping to the national speed limit of 60 mph on the speedometer, the actual physical speed of the car is probably only 55 mph and drivers following might well find this rather tedious. I have researched the possibility of recalibrating the speedometer but this does not seem to be possible or practical.
As an alternative, could I fit higher profile tyres?
I currently have GoodYear EfficientGrip 215/55 R17 that are also available in 215/60 R17. The difference in diameter is only 22mm but the increase would be sufficient to make the speedometer read accurately.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Personally, I would not worry, all speedos can read a bit higher, up to 110% + 6.25mph of true speed, so the chances are anyone following you will be around the same or their speedo is within the same tolerance. A higher profile could make it a bit more accurate but then if the tyre is brand new it might make it under-read (illegal), would slow down acceleration slightly but probably give you a bit more of a comfortable ride. There is also the question of insurance as your car is no longer matching the manufacturer's specifications. A bit of a grey area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts