Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so be gentle...

Seriously considering ordering a Leaf 40kwh N connecta next week but have a question on what home charger I should get.

I have solar panels with some of the spare electric being used by a solaredge iboost to the hot water tank when needed.
I work shift's, sometimes nights away and car could be charged at home during the day whilst I sleep.

I have looked at a zappi and that claims to be able to divert when needed.

Any feedback?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,547 Posts
I have a zappi and eddi (their equivalent of the iBoost) installed in September so I missed most of the summer sunshine but a few times I have seen sufficient that could have gone to the car if it was plugged in but it was at work with me. I had the iBoost before but thought it might be better to get stuff that properly talked to each other when I needed to replace my tethered Rolec to a type 2 socket. After a minor glitch on the instal (CT clamp on the wrong cable but fixed over the phone with myenergi), it has been working well and heating the hot water and, hopefully, come summer I will be able to top up the car. The app is easy to use to prioritise where you want the excess to go to as well. Come the summer I will need to play about with the settings on the zappi and the car's (Model 3) timer settings to enable it to take surplus power but make sure I have enough to get to work and back the next day.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Keep in mind that charging from solar is not really a year round proposition in UK conditions. You need to put your normal usage ( use say 3.5miles per kWh as a guide) into an online solar simulator to see what charging you will statistically expect to get from your solar setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts