Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I don't remotely trust the range ometer. Today I charged to 95% capacity and it 'claimed' that that gave me 205 miles range.What percentage should I allow for inaccuracy in such a reading?

2) does the Allure model have a wireless phone charging facility like the higher range models - or not?

3) if affirmative, would my smartphone (not an IPhone) charge if the device was left in its plastic case or must the latter first be removed?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE I realise that an ev adapts and adjusts to the way one drives but this is beyond annoying. I've had the car for two months so by now it should have got used to my driving style etc. Having fully charged the beast it stated, repeat, that 205 miles were in the tank; during the mere two miles' homewards drive the rangeometer changed no less than five times (five bloody times!) and when I switched off the motor to park the car it told me I only had 153 miles left... Huh! Beyond exasperating for Christ's sake. I want r e l i a b l e readings. I'm pxxxxd off big time.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,198 Posts
UPDATE I realise that an ev adapts and adjusts to the way one drives but this is beyond annoying. I've had the car for two months so by now it should have got used to my driving style etc. Having fully charged the beast it stated, repeat, that 205 miles were in the tank; during the mere two miles' homewards drive the rangeometer changed no less than five times (five bloody times!) and when I switched off the motor to park the car it told me I only had 153 miles left... Huh! Beyond exasperating for Christ's sake. I want r e l i a b l e readings. I'm pxxxxd off big time.
Not true.
It cannot adapt because it cannot know how you will be driving on the next journey.

The GOM range is based on the last few miles prior to charging and is therefore, only reasonably accurate if you drove the same way, same speed, same weather, road conditions etc.

Speed in particular will eat into the range as will the weather and temperature.

This is something you have to accept as it's part of EV ownership.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
780 Posts
It's a Peugeot e-208. Ignore the GoM. Everyone knows it will easily do around 180 miles if you do mostly local driving. If you're a boy racer, knock another 20% off that. If you do lots of long-distance drives you'll get around 160. Again, boy racer, knock 20% off that. In 3 or 4 months that range will start to decrease. Knock another 15% off those figures for mid-winter.

What is your worry? Are you going to drive it down to 5 miles or less on the GoM? Start with 100% and figure on a stop to recharge when you think you're around 15% or whatever you're comfortable with. If you only do local driving, what's your worry? You just plug it in when you get home.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,559 Posts
1) I don't remotely trust the range ometer. Today I charged to 95% capacity and it 'claimed' that that gave me 205 miles range.What percentage should I allow for inaccuracy in such a reading?

2) does the Allure model have a wireless phone charging facility like the higher range models - or not?

3) if affirmative, would my smartphone (not an IPhone) charge if the device was left in its plastic case or must the latter first be removed?
Are you using AC because of the hot weather? This will eat into range. What is your current consumption in mpkWh?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh heavens I'm not clever enough to answer your question. As to the first point, yes, using ac and you're right that of course that saps range but such a multiplicity of figures in a mere three miles... Even the other day with the ac turned off and, as always, driving in B mode, for 15 miles the screen figure didn't budge from showing 147 miles range left and then, suudenly, went beserk and dropped to 92 miles. How the blazes is one supposed to be able to guage with anything even approaching accuracy what's left in the tank as it were with such massive swings? Answer: totally but totally impossible.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,559 Posts
Oh heavens I'm not clever enough to answer your question.
Just press the end of the windscreen wiper stalk and the trip meter will come up in the display and tell you your mileage, average speed and how many miles per kWh you did during that period.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve had my 2008 for 7 months done 13k miles and a full charge still says 191 most I’ve ever got has been 140

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Call me naive but the o n l y thing that interests me is if the rangeometer states 132 miles (or whatever) then, allowing for an acceptable, say, 5% error, THATS WHAT I EXPECT FROM THE DAMN CAR. In a sentence, reliable info! Along with the mega nightmare that is BP Pulse (TrustPilot reviews give them a 91% dissatisfaction rating) I wish I'd never gone the ev route. It's one bloody great pain in the proverbial. To cap it all, switching today to Podpoint, I rang them at 18.20 with a query occasioned by one of their public charging units, only to be told by an answer-machine via what they laughingly call customer 'services' that they only operate during 9-5 on weekdays. Can you believe such a discovery? What if it was a cold winter's night out in the sticks miles from home? Wait until they reopen on Monday? Indescribably annoying. Yes, big mistake to have made the switch to an ev. Nothing but niggling trouble all the way. I'm kicking myself for my ginormous mistake and wish I'd done more research beforehand. The experience is one long series of aggravations and I'm still trying to get grips witb that hellishly fiddly surpus-to-need second brake/gear lever thingy or whatever the wretched contraption's called. Excess baggage.

Cumulative scream-inducing aggro one way and another.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,198 Posts
Call me naive but the o n l y thing that interests me is if the rangeometer states 132 miles (or whatever) then, allowing for an acceptable, say, 5% error, THATS WHAT I EXPECT FROM THE DAMN CAR. In a sentence, reliable info! Along with the mega nightmare that is BP Pulse (TrustPilot reviews give them a 91% dissatisfaction rating) I wish I'd never gone the ev route. It's one bloody great pain in the proverbial. To cap it all, switching today to Podpoint, I rang them at 18.20 with a query occasioned by one of their public charging units, only to be told by an answer-machine via what they laughingly call customer 'services' that they only operate during 9-5 on weekdays. Can you believe such a discovery? What if it was a cold winter's night out in the sticks miles from home? Wait until they reopen on Monday? Indescribably annoying. Yes, big mistake to have made the switch to an ev. Nothing but niggling trouble all the way. I'm kicking myself for my ginormous mistake and wish I'd done more research beforehand. The experience is one long series of aggravations and I'm still trying to get grips witb that hellishly fiddly surpus-to-need second brake/gear lever thingy or whatever the wretched contraption's called. Excess baggage.

Cumulative scream-inducing aggro one way and another.
You've really got yourself worked up into a tizzy.
Calm down, slow down and do not be defeated by the technology.
Take time to become familiar with the driving computer and stop obsessing over the gom.

I have found the easiest and quickest way to estimate range is miles per % of charge (SOC). On my Leaf I work on 2 miles per percent and 1.5 in winter. So 90% is good for 180 this weather, or 160 down to 10% (ie 20miles).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a Peugeot e-208. Ignore the GoM. Everyone knows it will easily do around 180 miles if you do mostly local driving. If you're a boy racer, knock another 20% off that. If you do lots of long-distance drives you'll get around 160. Again, boy racer, knock 20% off that. In 3 or 4 months that range will start to decrease. Knock another 15% off those figures for mid-winter.

What is your worry? Are you going to drive it down to 5 miles or less on the GoM? Start with 100% and figure on a stop to recharge when you think you're around 15% or whatever you're comfortable with. If you only do local driving, what's your worry? You just plug it in when you get home.
Can't plug in at home as I live in a flat.
You've really got yourself worked up into a tizzy.
Calm down, slow down and do not be defeated by the technology.
Take time to become familiar with the driving computer and stop obsessing over the gom.

I have found the easiest and quickest way to estimate range is miles per % of charge (SOC). On my Leaf I work on 2 miles per percent and 1.5 in winter. So 90% is good for 180 this weather, or 160 down to 10% (ie 20miles).

Good grief, what a load of hassle. (Reminder to self: never embark on even the shortest journey without a friendly mathematician on board.)

I don't buy your argument for as much as nanosecond. I'm an octogenarian technophobe and can't be doing faffing around with having to make calculations. Why should I? I expect, and am entitled to expect, an instrument to do those things for me and be accurate in doing so to within, say, five per cent via which to reliably tell me just how many miles I have left in the tank so to speak. WHAT THE HELL'S THE BXXXXY P O I N T OF >HAVING< SUCH AN INSTRUMENT ON SCREEN IF YOU CANT •RELY• ON THE INFORMATION IT PROVIDES?! And don't counter by saying that the contraption shows a halfway indicator because it gives you not the remotest idea of THE MILES LEFT IN THE BATTERY AND T H A T 'S PRECISELY WHAT I W A N T TO KNOW AND, WHAT'S MORE, AT A GLANCE TOO sans having to multiply five times the speed I'm doing with a following wind, not forgetting to allow if there's an 'r' in the month and your grandfather's inside leg measurement for good measure,l. According to your goodself that's what it all sounds as if I need to do. The rangeometer should live up to its name for Christ's sake. If it doesn't it's redundant.

(I haven't even mentioned the naked stupidity of Peugeot putting the climate controls on a screen instead of a far more sensible knob. It's a potentially dangerous oversight too.)

When I can afford it I'm minded to go back to an ICE beast. What with the aforementioned niggles and the nightmare reality that is the UK's public charging network it's one ginormous aggro.

C o n c l u d e d .

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
780 Posts
Can't plug in at home as I live in a flat.
Since you got the car, how many long journeys have you done? By “long” I mean, beyond the range of the car (~180-200 miles)?

I’m also wondering whether you’ve had the ECU updates completed? Does your GoM reduce in single digits or does it change in blocks of 6 miles?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Why is this any different to a petrol car???

if you’ve been postering around town in a petrol car and then you rag it down the motorway then the displayed range will drop

Conversely if you like a traffic light GP and then you cruise sedately on the motorway then the displayed range will go up!

what you are describing is normal for any car

summer
55mph
Air con on
You’ll get 180+

winter
Around town
Heater and lights on
You’ll get under 150

if you are going longer range and it’s over 150 miles away - maybe plan a 15 min rapid

if it’s local then why worry - just charge it every night

and your mpkwh is the key - you can reset either trip
I keep one for the total mileage on the car and 1 I’ll reset every now and then

aim for 4

as 4miles per kWh means 4 x 45(ish) kWh in the battery

= 180 miles

JJ

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
And seriously - what are you on about the handbrake lever!!! There isn’t one?!?

there is a tiny button ONLY - what is it you are referring to?

The e handbrake you flick it on at traffic lights and when they go green you just press the accelerator and off you go and it auto deactivates

JJ

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since you got the car, how many long journeys have you done? By “long” I mean, beyond the range of the car (~180-200 miles)?

I’m also wondering whether you’ve had the ECU updates completed? Does your GoM reduce in single digits or does it change in blocks of 6 miles?
I've only done one long journey in it (278 miles). As for block changes, I juiced up last night and in the ten minutes it took to drive home the thing changed five times and dropped a total of 51 miles; one day last week the reading stayed exactly the same for 18 miles and then, when it eventually altered, it had plunged (in one dollop as it were) about the same amount, ie roughly 50 miles. Today I'll drive (in B mode, as usual and admittedly with the draining ac on, given the hot weather) roughly 84 miles. God knows how it will deign to perform via that journey. All I want is a reasonably reliable range indication. It's my habit to juice up at the halfway stage on the graph. When I last did that and began charging, the public unit told me I'd got 45% range remaining charge despite the instrument panel guage was •exactly• at the 50% mark. It's altogether an extremely unsatisfactory state of affairs and as you can gather it annoys me big time...

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
780 Posts
I've only done one long journey in it (278 miles). As for block changes, I juiced up last night and in the ten minutes it took to drive home the thing changed five times and dropped a total of 51 miles; one day last week the reading stayed exactly the same for 18 miles and then, when it eventually altered, it had plunged (in one dollop as it were) about the same amount, ie roughly 50 miles. Today I'll drive (in B mode, as usual and admittedly with the draining ac on, given the hot weather) roughly 84 miles. God knows how it will deign to perform via that journey. All I want is a reasonably reliable range indication. It's my habit to juice up at the halfway stage on the graph. When I last did that and began charging, the public unit told me I'd got 45% range remaining charge despite the instrument panel guage was •exactly• at the 50% mark. It's altogether an extremely unsatisfactory state of affairs and as you can gather it annoys me big time...
Was the 278 mile trip the one where you collected the car? Since then have you only been doing local driving? Are you charging on AC destination chargers or DC rapids?

You haven’t answered about the steps that your GoM decrements in. I know you say it is erratic but what you are describing is not normal. Yes, the GoM can jump from the last reading after you switched off the car and the next time you switch on. However, once you are driving, it will normally decrement in either single miles or, if you haven’t had the ECU update, in 6 mile increments.

From your description, it sounds like you haven’t had the campaign update. You should contact your local Peugeot dealer and ask them about it. It is a warranty item and you should not be be charged for it. Most dealers are getting up to speed with the campaign update and many can complete it in a few hours. You don’t have to go to the dealer you purchased the car from.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having had the ecu update mine still drops by more than 1 but what I have noticed is the car goes to - - - miles left quicker when around at 5% it annoys me Peugeot didn’t put the battery %.
In my opinion the ecu update has made no or very little difference

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,046 Posts
There are two things going on here. One is the normal operation of a flaky GOM ( Called the Guess-O-Meter for good reason) and the other is your basic lack of understanding of why the GOM is so flaky in the first place.

I can't offer much help to change the GOM because they have been the bane of EV owners lives for many years. Some cars are better than others and my Ioniq is remarkably reliable compared to other cars. Still throws out weird predictions at times but as I understand how it makes its predictions I can usually reconcile it mentally and realise why it has apparently thrown a wobbly.

For instance, and this seems to apply in your case too, The first two miles of my normal journey from home climbs a very steep hill. If I need to use either the heater or the a/c then the first part of my trip is using a huge amount of energy in relation to the miles travelled. That terrifies the GOM as its simple brain starts to think that the present energy draw will be the same for the entire journey. If that hill and a/c draw continued for the next fifty miles, it muses, then the car will only be able to drive 100 miles instead of its normal 200. So it drastically reduces the range prediction.

But once over that hill, and once the car temperature has stabilised, the next five miles is downhill and the a/c is down to tickover. So that feeble brained GOM recognises the changes and will report that 180 miles range is achievable. The programming of the GOM is very basic and if you want to rely on it you will almost always be disappointed.

As others have said, it's best to ignore it completely apart from smiling at its stupidity. In any case, it's rare in normal commuting and domestic driving for range to be a vital factor. Much better to use the % of charge as the basis for establishing how many miles you have available before needing to fill up. After all, for generations in cars we have only reacted to the petrol gauge and filled up when it showed 25%. For many years with an ICE that gauge was the only means of determining how far the car would go. We knew that it used 35mpg and had a 10 gallon tank. So that when it was showing half full we could realistically drive 175 miles to empty.

An EV is the same. We know that your car will usually drive 200 miles from full in normal driving conditions. If the battery % is showing 50% then it will have 100 miles to empty. Ignore the GOM. It will just wind you up. Try a modicum of mental arithmetic and calculate 2 miles per % showing on the battery meter instead. Then reduce that a bit in winter. And b r e a t h e.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Was the 278 mile trip the one where you collected the car? Since then have you only been doing local driving? Are you charging on AC destination chargers or DC rapids?

You haven’t answered about the steps that your GoM decrements in. I know you say it is erratic but what you are describing is not normal. Yes, the GoM can jump from the last reading after you switched off the car and the next time you switch on. However, once you are driving, it will normally decrement in either single miles or, if you haven’t had the ECU update, in 6 mile increments.

From your description, it sounds like you haven’t had the campaign update. You should contact your local Peugeot dealer and ask them about it. It is a warranty item and you should not be be charged for it. Most dealers are getting up to speed with the campaign update and many can complete it in a few hours. You don’t have to go to the dealer you purchased the car from.
I'm enormously grateful to you for your empathetic and knowlegable input about my described rangeometer situation. You confirm what I've always strongly suspected, viz what I'm intolerably experiencing with the damn thing is far from normal. I feel an enormous sense of gratitude to you for enlightening me. I've just emailed my dealer to get his reaction to my remedial request in light of what you've told me this morning.

Reiterated appreciation for your illumination and assistance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are two things going on here. One is the normal operation of a flaky GOM ( Called the Guess-O-Meter for good reason) and the other is your basic lack of understanding of why the GOM is so flaky in the first place.

I can't offer much help to change the GOM because they have been the bane of EV owners lives for many years. Some cars are better than others and my Ioniq is remarkably reliable compared to other cars. Still throws out weird predictions at times but as I understand how it makes its predictions I can usually reconcile it mentally and realise why it has apparently thrown a wobbly.

For instance, and this seems to apply in your case too, The first two miles of my normal journey from home climbs a very steep hill. If I need to use either the heater or the a/c then the first part of my trip is using a huge amount of energy in relation to the miles travelled. That terrifies the GOM as its simple brain starts to think that the present energy draw will be the same for the entire journey. If that hill and a/c draw continued for the next fifty miles, it muses, then the car will only be able to drive 100 miles instead of its normal 200. So it drastically reduces the range prediction.

But once over that hill, and once the car temperature has stabilised, the next five miles is downhill and the a/c is down to tickover. So that feeble brained GOM recognises the changes and will report that 180 miles range is achievable. The programming of the GOM is very basic and if you want to rely on it you will almost always be disappointed.

As others have said, it's best to ignore it completely apart from smiling at its stupidity. In any case, it's rare in normal commuting and domestic driving for range to be a vital factor. Much better to use the % of charge as the basis for establishing how many miles you have available before needing to fill up. After all, for generations in cars we have only reacted to the petrol gauge and filled up when it showed 25%. For many years with an ICE that gauge was the only means of determining how far the car would go. We knew that it used 35mpg and had a 10 gallon tank. So that when it was showing half full we could realistically drive 175 miles to empty.

An EV is the same. We know that your car will usually drive 200 miles from full in normal driving conditions. If the battery % is showing 50% then it will have 100 miles to empty. Ignore the GOM. It will just wind you up. Try a modicum of mental arithmetic and calculate 2 miles per % showing on the battery meter instead. Then reduce that a bit in winter. And b r e a t h e.
What a painstaking revelation. Thank you so much for the detail. Interesting that you mention the % indicator because as I mentioned to another member yesterday even THAT damn thing isn't accurate. I juiced up at the precise 50% mark but when I instructed the roadside charging unit it said I'd only got 45% range left. Grrrrrrr! What you declare about the ECU update providing little or no improvement is hugely disappointing... Huh! Never had this bother with the pony and trap!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts