Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to acquire an EV some time soon. Either an Ioniq 5 or an EV6 probably. They are both capable of charging at 11kW on 3 phase. I'm in the fortunate position of having a 3 phase supply and an Economy 7 three phase meter at my supply position.

I've been researching the 3 phase charger options and they appear limited. I'm planning to run a 5 core 2.5 mm sq. SWA cable to my garage with a 20 Amp TP&N MCBO at source with a 3 Phase charge point in my garage. I would like one with Open PEN and DC leakage protection if possible to avoid the need for an Earth rod. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced Three Phase charge point please. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
When I was looking at this a few years ago Rolec did one. I know people have had bad experiences with Rolec (although I didn’t), but they’re modular and you could choose single or three phase. No idea if they do a smart 3phase one.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
I plan to acquire an EV some time soon. Either an Ioniq 5 or an EV6 probably. They are both capable of charging at 11kW on 3 phase. I'm in the fortunate position of having a 3 phase supply and an Economy 7 three phase meter at my supply position.

I've been researching the 3 phase charger options and they appear limited. I'm planning to run a 5 core 2.5 mm sq. SWA cable to my garage with a 20 Amp TP&N MCBO at source with a 3 Phase charge point in my garage. I would like one with Open PEN and DC leakage protection if possible to avoid the need for an Earth rod. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced Three Phase charge point please. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Speak to James at Viridian. They can offer quality but not flashy 3 phase chargers using their highly regarded protocol controller and decent quality discrete contactors etc. You can make contact with them via EcoHarmony.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Speak to James at Viridian. They can offer quality but not flashy 3 phase chargers using their highly regarded protocol controller and decent quality discrete contactors etc. You can make contact with them via EcoHarmony.
I see JH is saying the same thing. I would speak directly to James rather than just looking at the website.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts

I'd also suggest having a bit of a think about cabling and supply options for future and additional BEVs that might be single phase charging at 32A per phase.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Zappi have a 3-phase 32A unit (which you can configure down to 16A), although the prices are probably a bit on the high side (especially if you only wanted a dumb charger). At least it has all the needed protection included.

As noted above, it’s probably worth over specifying the cable to either 4mm² or 6mm² 5-core SWA to give options in the future.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ (2021 Model)
43 Posts
Don’t PodPoint supply the 3-Phase units that are able to provide up to 22kW?

·
Registered
Leaf 24kWh
2,104 Posts
Don’t PodPoint supply the 3-Phase units that are able to provide up to 22kW?
Yes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks for all the useful advice guys. Yes, I had thought about going for a heavier cable and 32 Amp MCBO at source. Not sure I will ever need 22kW charging mind you but not much additional cost for a 4 or 6mm sq. SWA Cable. Will certainly consider Viridian units.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts