Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
puch27
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just going onto the Octopus GO charging tariff.
I have a three phase supply to my house and Ive been chasing Octopus for a meter install date. I will soon have two EVs.
I wanted a type 2 SMET meter but just received an email from Octopus to say they hadn’t realised my supply was three phase and the only SMET meter available for three phase is a type 1.
As long as I can take advantage of the cheaper rate from 12.30 till 04.30 all should be ok I think. Any thoughts?? I dont have gas. Any other disadvantages with type 1 over type 2 meters???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am just going onto the Octopus GO charging tariff.
I have a three phase supply to my house and Ive been chasing Octopus for a meter install date. I will soon have two EVs.
I wanted a type 2 SMET meter but just received an email from Octopus to say they hadn’t realised my supply was three phase and the only SMET meter available for three phase is a type 1.
As long as I can take advantage of the cheaper rate from 12.30 till 04.30 all should be ok I think. Any thoughts?? I dont have gas. Any other disadvantages with type 1 over type 2 meters???

I believe the main advantage of SMETS2 is that you change to another provider and not lose the "Smart" advantages.
Also Octopus say that anyone not able to have a SMETS 2 now (northern areas I think) will have a SMETS 1 that is up graded later.
This was also stated by my meter installer last month although I was fitted with SMETS2.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same dilemma in that Octopus came to install a SMART 2 meter back in May only to be told that it wasn’t compatible with a domestic 3 phase supply. Meantime I have switched to Octopus but on one of their standard tariffs on the understanding that they will endeavour to provide a solution for me that will allow me to move to the Go tariff. Whilst I drive a PHEV right now, the issue is manageable but it will prevent me moving to full EV anytime soon.
i do believe that they feel a solution is imminent and I have had some positive indications that this might not be too far away. Happy to keep you posted on that. The other alternative was to convert to a single phase supply but the costs are prohibitive.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We also upgraded to a 3-phase supply, anyone would think it’s new tech, the smart meter roll out is such a shambles. :mad:

·
puch27
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think three phase will be invaluable when i get my second ev. Two cars charging at night equals lots of kwh required

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have a 3-phase supply due to a historically high off-peak heating load. My electricity supplier (Utility Warehouse) says that 3-phase smart meters are not available - why?, for I would have thought that priority for smart metering should have been given to those with the larger loads. I am also wanting an SMETS2 meter as I understand they are able to record export (from our solar panels) rather than have the export guessed at as 50% of the solar generation. Also, I am interested in V2G use of my battery for helping out the early evening peak.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,533 Posts
I have a 3-phase supply due to a historically high off-peak heating load. My electricity supplier (Utility Warehouse) says that 3-phase smart meters are not available - why?, for I would have thought that priority for smart metering should have been given to those with the larger loads. I am also wanting an SMETS2 meter as I understand they are able to record export (from our solar panels) rather than have the export guessed at as 50% of the solar generation. Also, I am interested in V2G use of my battery for helping out the early evening peak.
Smets1 also measure (half hourly) export as per spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts