Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very impressed I left the house at 06.00 this morning so very little had been on my local roads and my little i3s made easy work off it in the snow. I got to one hill where cars were turning around half way up and coming back down, so I thought shall I go a different way but decided to give it a go and made it no problem, I’ve had other BMW and all have been rubbish in the snow mind you they have all been high powered like M5 and so on.
The only thing I did find is I had the switch to sport mode on some down hills as the regen made the back end snake a bit.

All in all a big thumbs up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well there is a reasonable weight over the driven wheels - unlike other BMW’s. Presume you have winter tyres fitted?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I've been impressed with my ID3 the last couple of days. I have summers on, have cross climates on our Golf, but it still handled fairly well. I liked the regen on the rear wheels, felt better that way than the front wheels slowing down and losing grip.
No hills to speak of in Suffolk so didn't need to test the grip needed to climb a hill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard tyre.
More snow forecast this weekend so we will see how it goes.
we still have the wife’s suv if the weather gets bad. I bought the i3 as a bit of a toy and my first electric car, as more cars come on line I may swap it out for a multi motor sports car, even more grip. I have started looking at ev SUV’s to replace my wife’s with but she’s not convinced🙁 but for now I love my i3 a great little bit of kit all round.
Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
There was a time when we all drove round on narrow tyres. Back then a 5 inch wide alloy wheel was the height of performance (Mk 1 Golf GTI etc) and we drove through snow on the same set of tyres we used all year.
The i3 wheels only look ‘skinny’ because we have all got used to car manufacturers fitting oversized wheels and tyres mainly in the interests of style.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I only recently learned the i3S has a more advanced traction control than the normal i3 (or all BMWs at the time anyway) which reacts more quickly and more often and I imagine helps massively in the snow.

A bit like Tesla who I think from the start have had a very high end traction control that works really well. The sample/reaction frequency and speed is not really possible with ICE I guess, really impressive videos of Tesla vehicles driving away smoothly on solid ice and all season tyres.

Anyway, if I'd known the i3S has that feature it would have really tempted me over the regular i3, although so far with a tiny bit of snow it handled fine to be fair... however you could tell the traction control cut in aggressively and for longer than necessary.

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
43 Posts
Got to say I was very impressed with the i3 on the snow this week, first car to leave the street on Monday morning and it handled far better than I was hoping for, didn't get any wheel-slip or understeer at all. I do have the blizzaks on but I'm now confident the ecopias would also be fine, assuming its down to skinny tyres and light weight.

Had a 6 series a few years back and it got very tail happy with just a hint of ice on the road.
First year with an ev and absolutely loving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts