Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear windscreen in our Volvo V90 smashed last week (the wiper just went straight through it) and the boss said, why can’t we get rid of this and get an electric one (we have a Leaf as well). I muttered something about waiting for Tesla Model Y). Our challenge is, we have a big dog (Golden Retriever 6 stone of muscle).

So what ev can I get to replace the V90?
I have a budget of £500 to £600.
The dog is important and he has to be safe. I think an Id4 might work. What else? I think an ipace would be too expensive and would big dog fit in comfortably?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,157 Posts
The rear windscreen in our Volvo V90 smashed last week (the wiper just went straight through it) and the boss said, why can’t we get rid of this and get an electric one (we have a Leaf as well). I muttered something about waiting for Tesla Model Y). Our challenge is, we have a big dog (Golden Retriever 6 stone of muscle).

So what ev can I get to replace the V90?
I have a budget of £500 to £600.
The dog is important and he has to be safe. I think an Id4 might work. What else? I think an ipace would be too expensive and would big dog fit in comfortably?
Maybe an MG ZS EV (with the rear seats down obvs).

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm, I like the idea of an MG but I would like something a bit more upmarket

·
Registered
3 Posts
A bit more up market than a MG, but cheaper than a ID4: Citroen EC-4. We're getting this for the extra leg room compared to a ID3.

The ID4 has great reviews. A bit smaller and slower than the Model Y, but better built and a better drive.

If you want something bigger, the Skoda Enyaq? I expect this will be similar to the ID4, but Skoda prices rather than VW.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
I reckon an ID4 or Enyaq would be good. They both have very deep and high boots with an upright bootlid (just about). I personally think the Enyaq has the nicer interior as it has more substance to it than the ID4's.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Smple answer to replace a V90 is.....

You can't.

If it's a perfectly good car otherwise, why not replace the rear window, keeps the dog happy, then look to change when there's actually something worth buying/leasing. Presently, you either pay through the nose for something with a big enough boot, or compromise on size. If the Volvo is otherwise servicable I don't understand why there's the need to change.

If, however change is absolutely on the cards, the only recommendation I could make is a BMW X5e hybrid. It's definitely big enough, fits your price bracket, depending on mileage and is as upmarket as anything that is 100% EV.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
The only EV estate at the moment is the MG5 which you have rejected. The other suggestions appear to be SUVs which will have significantly higher rear cills which either will or will become difficult for a big dog as he gets older.
Stick with the V90 as @Swagman suggests.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Seems a lot of love for the Eniaq Enya Enyaq, but looks like a nice car to be fair, the pricing will be interesting and if they can supply enough they should be plentiful on the roads at some point.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
481 Posts
There are plenty of MG owners who prefer the ZS EV to past upmarket ICE cars. Well me anyway. I’ve a top Of the range Passat estate, the ZS is more comfortable, faster off the mark and has a top speed which is illegal. Sure there are bits which are down to a price, but it’s a great car. I’m used to putting £75 quids worth of fuel in the Passat, £300 for servicing, The MG will do the mileage of a tank of fuel for £14 and the service costs £300 for 3 years. I give the money I’ve saved to my grandchildren in Canada in their further education fund. They are 3 and 1...
SAIC make the most EVs in the world after Tesla, anyone else is playing catch up. The motors have innovative triangular profile wire in the windings to get most power out of a smaller motor.
And I have mates who have top of the range Audis, Jaguars and Volvos most of which seem to have claustrophobic cabins after the Passat. The MG is nice and open too and has a great radio and sunroof And room for 2 6 footers in the back. Maybe I’m an inverted snob, but I don’t have to pretend I have money...

Add
My wife took a phone call from a friend with a Volvo SUV (60?) and after 10 minutes of chatting she mentioned that we were in the car, he had no idea because there was no background noise and we were doing 60 on the Hogs Back. That’s how poor the MG is!

·
Registered
513 Posts
As someone who has had old bangers most of my life, what does 'upmarket' mean in this context? Atre you talking about general reputation (however accurate that might be) or specific requirements in a car? (Mine are reliability and economy..).

·
Banned
367 Posts
Your budget should be sufficient to get you into a Nissan Ariya.
The Mach-E is quite impressive.
I would stay away from anything built by VAG, based on past experience and reviews.

·
Registered
768 Posts
if they can supply enough they should be plentiful on the roads at some point.
There's the biggest problem with the switch to EV's.
While manufacturers still work to a business model where the majority of cars they sell are ICE and therefore have to continue to support their dealer network, then they will only sell enough EV's to reach the set emissions targets.

In other words the legacy manufacturers bind themselves to selling the minimum number of EV's possible while still reaching their emissions objectives. Unless there are more manufacturers coming to market following a Tesla business model then the adoption of EV's will be a long, slow journey regardless of the marketing spiel by the likes of Jaguar and VW.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Anyway, think yourself lucky that it was only the rear wiper that smashed the screen.

I was once unfortunate enough to be brake tested by a car while cycling through Nottingham city centre resulting in me hitting the rear bumper and flying headfirst through the rear window, landing on the back seat where the two occupants in the front seats decided that beating me up as punishment for their own stupidity was the best course of action.

While it sounds quite comical with hindsight, trying to fight off two gym going gorillas in the confines of a Ford Mondeo takes some doing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are plenty of MG owners who prefer the ZS EV to past upmarket ICE cars. Well me anyway. I’ve a top Of the range Passat estate, the ZS is more comfortable, faster off the mark and has a top speed which is illegal. Sure there are bits which are down to a price, but it’s a great car. I’m used to putting £75 quids worth of fuel in the Passat, £300 for servicing, The MG will do the mileage of a tank of fuel for £14 and the service costs £300 for 3 years. I give the money I’ve saved to my grandchildren in Canada in their further education fund. They are 3 and 1...
SAIC make the most EVs in the world after Tesla, anyone else is playing catch up. The motors have innovative triangular profile wire in the windings to get most power out of a smaller motor.
And I have mates who have top of the range Audis, Jaguars and Volvos most of which seem to have claustrophobic cabins after the Passat. The MG is nice and open too and has a great radio and sunroof And room for 2 6 footers in the back. Maybe I’m an inverted snob, but I don’t have to pretend I have money...

Add
My wife took a phone call from a friend with a Volvo SUV (60?) and after 10 minutes of chatting she mentioned that we were in the car, he had no idea because there was no background noise and we were doing 60 on the Hogs Back. That’s how poor the MG is!
Sorry Brian. I didn’t mean to offend. I am sure your car is great. (our other car is a Leaf and I am sure the MG is a huge step forward). I had been eying up the MG5 but I think it’s quite a bit smaller inside than the Volvo - the real kicker is the dog - I look at most cars from boot forwards that’s dog owners for you!)

How would you compare the boot space of your MG with the Passat? I suppose the answer is for me to go and have a look with the dog👍😀 Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyway, think yourself lucky that it was only the rear wiper that smashed the screen.

I was once unfortunate enough to be brake tested by a car while cycling through Nottingham city centre resulting in me hitting the rear bumper and flying headfirst through the rear window, landing on the back seat where the two occupants in the front seats decided that beating me up as punishment for their own stupidity was the best course of action.

While it sounds quite comical with hindsight, trying to fight off two gym going gorillas in the confines of a Ford Mondeo takes some doing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I agree, just annoying, your adventure sounds a lot more risky! It was quite comical at the recycling centre - didnt know which skip to put the glass in! (The guys were very helpful)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your budget should be sufficient to get you into a Nissan Ariya.
The Mach-E is quite impressive.
I would stay away from anything built by VAG, based on past experience and reviews.
I thought the Nissan wasn’t coming til next year. I agree the Mach-E looks great but I don’t think it’s suitable for the dog (Yes taking him back to the rescue centre is tempting 😀👍 Not really)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As someone who has had old bangers most of my life, what does 'upmarket' mean in this context? Atre you talking about general reputation (however accurate that might be) or specific requirements in a car? (Mine are reliability and economy..).
Good question Sue. A big boot, reliable and reasonable range - I need to recharge my Leaf when I go to Cheshire (our most frequent trip). And by “upmarket”, I really mean a nice car to be in and drive (And I am not really a snob, honest - I come from Bradford and Brian has already (quite rightly) called me out for using that word!)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts