Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got notification that a load of modest miles M3's have crashed in price.
Example : Standard Range Plus RWD with 6700 miles at £35090 - was £40410
(I'd hate it if I had just paid a load more!)

See Tesla info.
Very, very tempting - is there more to come off given the industry is having a hard time?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Yes, we are a long way from the bottom yet. Most of the public have not woken up to how bad the economy will be, just as they hadn't to how bad the deaths would be this time in March. Government propaganda is still predicting an immediate rebound from the loss of 1/3rd of GDP and huge Government borrowing that we will not have to repay - yeah, right! :rolleyes:
If you can afford to buy the difficulty will be timing the point that Tesla cease taking cars back and their stock depletes. Then significantly cheaper cars will appear on the 2nd hand market, but without the guarantee available buying through Tesla.

·
Registered
343 Posts
“just as they hadn't to how bad the deaths would be this time in March”
Really? I recall hearing anything from 20k to 500k deaths could be possible.
I suspect we will end up around 25-30k, once care home numbers are added in.

What numbers did you expect when you first heard in Jan (or perhaps Feb)?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Didn't say that I knew better, just that I don't think that their current estimates of an immediate recovery are accurate (although I'd love to be proven wrong).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly enough when I asked Tesla for a trade in on my GTE with 25k miles, the value had dropped by 7k in one month!. Swings and roundabouts or what?
I think I'll wait a while yet but the day is surely creeping closer!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Interestingly enough when I asked Tesla for a trade in on my GTE with 25k miles, the value had dropped by 7k in one month!. Swings and roundabouts or what?
Yeah - I have found over the years, that if the screen price of the car appears to be a good deal, then you are going to get absolutely murdered on the trade in price of your car.
The price of the new car and what you receive for your old car are bit useless really.
The price to change is what your really interested in.
The only way to try and “Beat the System” slightly, is to sell your car privately, then exploit the reduced screen price of the new car.
Good for you, good for the seller of the new car.
Just remember, a low mileage well looked after GTE with solid service history is a really popular resale car, and can offer a good return on your original investment.
I sold my car via this forum only last year.
It was just over four years old and had only covered less than 30,000 miles.
Full main dealer history and VW extended warranty still in date.
When you are ready to proceed, I strongly suggest you offer up the car for sale yourself, what have you got to loose ?.
Negotiate the best price you can on your new car, then offer your GTE for sale privately.
That is what I did, worked well for me !.
This is going to be the cheapest way to do it, I do truly believe that.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
All Tesla trade-ins go straight to auction. Even other Teslas.

Hence the low trade in value. Almost always worth trying to sell it yourself.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
All Tesla trade-ins go straight to auction. Even other Teslas.

Hence the low trade in value. Almost always worth trying to sell it yourself.
I agree !.
Question, if Tesla puts ALL of the trade in cars through the auction, which including Tesla models.
Where does their Tesla approved used inventory of cars come from then ?.
Wow ....... Are they purely “X” Demo / Rejected Returned / Pre registered cars then !.
I would be okay with a pre registered car, but a little nervous of the second two options really !.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Where does their Tesla approved used inventory of cars come from then ?.
Yes, either ex demo cars or unsold stock.

Either way they have a reset warranty, so I wouldn’t worry as long as you get a good deal.

It’s a bit early for people to be trading in their Model 3s.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yes, either ex demo cars or unsold stock.

Either way they have a reset warranty, so I wouldn’t worry as long as you get a good deal.

It’s a bit early for people to be trading in their Model 3s.
Unsold stock would be my favoured option !.
X Demo idea leaves me sucking air through my teeth a little ?.
A demo model with less than a 1,000 miles ...... yeah okay ish.
More than that I would have concerns myself.
Almost everybody who test drives a Tesla does so for one reason, to find out if it’s as fast as they say they are !.
The car may have only covered a few thousand miles, but 99% of that mileage will have been from hard acceleration from a standing start !.
You can bet your bottom dollar on that, that’s what everybody does, right ?.
Resetting the warranty is good, but it a hard way for the car to start it’s life really.
I think the ultimate longevity of a car is governed by how well it it is treated right from the “Get - Go”.
Abuse it at first and you are likely to pay the price later in its life cycle.
If you only intend to keep the car for a couple of years, then give the problem to somebody else.
If you intend to keep the car a while, it pays to ease the car in gently to what you expect from it long term.
Not “Running In” - but more like a gradual introduction to the demands of what you expect from the drive train over an extended period of time.
See, I would never buy an X hire car EVER !.
Many auction sites ( without naming names ) in the U.K. sells thousands of X hire cars every single month.
Much cheaper than the main dealer prices, but for good reason, they have had a hard life.
Buy cheap, buy twice !.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Nobody has had their Tesla drive motors changed then under warranty ?.
That will be a “Yes” then !.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I changed my used Model S for a new GTE.
The build quality on the S isn’t great, hopefully the 3 is better.
I had multiple water leaks (party from bad design) and door handle failures.

Also after service is fairly poor now (wasn’t always the case) and you find it really hard to talk to someone if there’s an issue.
The golf is put together so much better but saying that I would consider going back to Tesla in the future - people give customer service a last priority normally until you need it.

The tech in the Tesla is amazing though:)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I changed my used Model S for a new GTE.
The build quality on the S isn’t great, hopefully the 3 is better.
I had multiple water leaks (party from bad design) and door handle failures.

Also after service is fairly poor now (wasn’t always the case) and you find it really hard to talk to someone if there’s an issue.
The golf is put together so much better but saying that I would consider going back to Tesla in the future - people give customer service a last priority normally until you need it.

The tech in the Tesla is amazing though:)
Wow ....... That is a massive step change if you don’t mind me saying so !.
What does it feel like listening to an engine start up again after owning a full BEV ????.
I don’t think anybody would argue that the build quality on the early Tesla’s leaves a lot to be desired.
In fairness though, VW have been building cars for a LONG time now.
Tesla was still learning with the model S.
Apparently the model 3 is a huge improvement over the model S.
To own a Tesla, I think you have to be located pretty close to a main agent, should you be unlucky enough to encounter any issues really issues that is.
I would extremely nervous owning a Tesla that is out or warranty also.
The repair costs can be massively expensive, as you no doubt know.
If Tesla could ( and will ) improve their build quality, they have a pretty much unbeatable car I.M.H.O.
The German models of Merc / Audi / VW etc are the kings when it’s comes to “Fit and Finish”.
Tesla’s strength comes from it’s tech / performance and super charger network.
You pays your money and takes your chances I guess !.
The GTE is a great car O.B.T.W.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not having the power instantaneously is a step down, the reason I went with the GTE is that most of my commute is in electric, the mk8 GTE would do it all :)

the Model S is a heavy car, and doesn’t ‘feel’ sporty (I believe the newer models with adaptive suspension are much better)
The Golf feels much better in this respect.

Out of warranty repairs can be expensive, I was able to repair the door handles which are really common but Tesla charge £1,000 to replace.

I was also able to change the 5yr old Tesla for a brand new GTE for practically the same price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts