Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've placed an order for a VW ID.3 today that I can have as soon as next week. Now panicking to get a charger installed as soon as possible. Does anyone have any tips for who is turning these around quickly at the moment?

I called Pod-point as a random example and they are quoting 3-4 weeks. Is that par for the course?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does it not come with a granny charger that plugs into a 13a socket?
If I remember correctly, the ID.3 only comes with the Type 2 charging cable; the ICCB is an optional extra.

3-4 weeks sounds about right from initial contact to installation. That's about how long it took to get my home charger installed. Some companies had much longer lead times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine installed by smarthomecharge.co.uk

I had the wallbox pulsar. 10 days from quote to install and had a very good customer experience.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had mine installed by smarthomecharge.co.uk

I had the wallbox pulsar. 10 days from quote to install and had a very good customer experience.
Sounds good to me - I'll give them a call and see if they are still working at that rate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good to me - I'll give them a call and see if they are still working at that rate.
They are now on the case. I too have gone for the Wallbox Pulsar. It needs a bit of messing about with as my CU is full, so with that taken into account they are coming in at £568 inc VAT after grant. My company is picking up the cost for all this, so it can claim the VAT back to make it a bit more palatable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are now on the case. I too have gone for the Wallbox Pulsar. It needs a bit of messing about with as my CU is full, so with that taken into account they are coming in at £568 inc VAT after grant. My company is picking up the cost for all this, so it can claim the VAT back to make it a bit more palatable.
Wallbox seems fine and works with an off peak tariff ok. The only issue for me was that the light was a bit bright, but I've stuck some window tint film from amazon on which seems to have reduced the brightness enough

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I work for the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints. We are a non for profit who run other codes and schemes too including the Chartered Trading Standards approved code RECC. EVCC raises standards for installers of home chargepoints and is there to protect consumers. Should you choose an EVCC member then they must comply with our standards which apply to sales, the contract, cancellation rights, after sales etc. We also have a dispute resolution service.

Our current members are listed on our website, www.electric-vehicle.org.uk. An EVCC member installer should provide you with certain protections and adhere to our standards. Would be a good place to start when looking for a reputable installer.

Good luck with you chargepoint install.
Lorraine, EVCC

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wallbox seems fine and works with an off peak tariff ok. The only issue for me was that the light was a bit bright, but I've stuck some window tint film from amazon on which seems to have reduced the brightness enough
They really seem to be cracking on with this. I got the ball rolling on Monday. I seem to have been filling out forms ever since but I’ve had confirmation that the charger will be with me on Friday. Hopefully everything will fall into place for it to be installed next week just in time for the arrival of the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They really seem to be cracking on with this. I got the ball rolling on Monday. I seem to have been filling out forms ever since but I’ve had confirmation that the charger will be with me on Friday. Hopefully everything will fall into place for it to be installed next week just in time for the arrival of the car.
I’m now booked it to have it fitted (they sent it to me last week) next Wednesday. My car is due to arrive this Thursday so I’m going to ask the dealer to make sure it is sent out with 80% charge which I should be able to eke out for 6 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m now booked it to have it fitted (they sent it to me last week) next Wednesday. My car is due to arrive this Thursday so I’m going to ask the dealer to make sure it is sent out with 80% charge which I should be able to eke out for 6 days.
You'll be fine. I used the granny charger for the first 12 months without an issue

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fair enough, our local tesco does free 7kw charging, so that might also be an option
Yes, that’s the fall back plan. I reckon if it comes at 80%, that will give me 30 miles per day until the wall charger is installed, which should be more than enough in these lockdown times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts