Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Only talking the USA here, since that is where the car is, no need to compare countries.

So the time on my car was fine... we were in the "hour ahead" of daylight savings time..
I have the time using the GPS box ticked.
I have the daylight savings time box ticked.

Then we came to the time to go back to standard time.

The time should have adjusted automatically... oh well I say... like my old Mercedes...

Untick the daylight savings time... now I goes a further hour off....

So the car is off by an hour... and cannot be reset correctly unless you turn off the GPS sync and go into manual.

Can it be that the Koreans do not understand how daylight savings time works in the US? We did not change the date(s) it happens for a few years.

Very poor implementation... did anyone else in the US experience this??

Greg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Only talking the USA here, since that is where the car is, no need to compare countries.

So the date we turn the clocks back an hour has come and gone.

So the car is off by an hour... and cannot be reset correctly unless you turn off the GPS sync and go into manual.

Can it be that the Koreans do not understand how daylight savings time works in the US? We did not change the date(s) it happens for a few years.

Greg
Keep the GPS box ticked and untick the daylight savings time box. Do you get the correct time when you do this?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
652 Posts
I think this is the standard behaviour. All the Daylight savings tick box does is increment the time with 1 hour. It doesn't automatically set the correct time based on the date. Pretty dumb behaviour for a car that otherwise has pretty decent software, but I can live with having to tick / untick a box twice a year.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

So the time on my car was fine... we were in the "hour ahead" of daylight savings time..

Then we came to the time to go back to standard time.

The time should have adjusted automatically... oh well I say... like my old Mercedes...

Untick the daylight savings time... now I goes a further hour off....

Greg

Out of interest, if your Mercedes were to be driven across the US, would it automatically show the correct time in each state, for the various US time zones?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was just describing another situation as an example where the daylight savings setting was not driven by the actual date, even though it is synced with the GPS system. I really want to explore my Kia situation. I'm not asking about the car following the time zones as it moves around that is a different question, which I am not interested in.

The issue is that while the Kia has a daylight savings setting, there seems to be something wrong with it, requiring a manual override, so why do you have the setting in the first place if it does not work automatically, the DST vs ST setting is not reported anywhere to the user.

Greg

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is the standard behaviour. All the Daylight savings tick box does is increment the time with 1 hour. It doesn't automatically set the correct time based on the date. Pretty dumb behaviour for a car that otherwise has pretty decent software, but I can live with having to tick / untick a box twice a year.
Well, my Audi is smart enough to work properly.

In the USA we have time zones where some stated follow daylight savings and some do not. So, specifically in the Mountain time zone, if you live in Arizona you do not follow the daylight savings/standard time changes (you basically stay in daylight savings all the time), but go one state north and you do follow the seasonal switching of "spring ahead", "fall back".

The time zone can be "read" from the broadband cellular connection in the car.

So, ticking/unticking gives me the wrong time in the fall. So the solution is to untick, turn off GPS time, set the hour manually, then tick the GPS time again. Do this twice a year. Really dumb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know and have not researched this but I would have thought the only time that Gps satellites operate on is UTC then the software in your car would adjust that when you set your time zone in the car. As UTC does not use dst it will not change the time, hence the dst option in settings.
Mobile phones work on network time, if set to that, and automatically change because the network operator makes the adjustment.
The question to ask is now that there is a sim in the car in the newer models why did they not add the option for network time and then it would change automatically

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the GPS gives you the right minutes and seconds... the time zone setting the right UTC offset, and the DST on and off, knowing the date, gives you the +- 1 hour offset...

Yes, exactly, especially with the always on broadband/cellular data service, why not? The DST box basically does nothing, but the car clearly knows the date and location of the vehicle..

Just irritating... it's as stupid as my 2003 Mercedes....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts