Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
It's a classic Swiss cheese risk analysis. Which is why I'm interested to know how the slices stack compared with attempting to shop.
We're going to have to live (most of us) with this virus, so understanding it is crucial to managing the risks.
Risk modelling on the macro scale will be statistical and if done right could prevent a larger proportion of the population from becoming infected - however the statistics do not help you if you are caught on the wrong side of the statistical divide. What alternative do you have to establishing stricter boundaries in a Swiss cheese life plan?

I have not been to a shop since my self-inflicted lockdown started, which was one week before the UK made its first announcement to seek herd immunity. I have dry rice to last 5 months, lentils and vitamin supplements to last about 2 months - dried food can be delivered by regular courier without supermarkets. I have fresh/frozen to last 2 weeks max. I have run out of boxed chocolates.

I have an open/unsealed quarantine area for home deliveries with 72 hour general rule. I lack the DIY skill to seal this and it occurs to me that larger older houses have superior sealed porches. To assist disinfection of perishable deliveries I have a spray bottle of diluted bleach and a knife in my porch. It occurs to me that a bucket of diluted bleach with a sealed lid would be safer than a spray. I am clinging to the hope that supermarket deliveries will resume before I feel discomfort.

I have no games to redress self-inflicted work stresses. This is an actual problem.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
However the statistics do not help you if you are caught on the wrong side of the statistical divide. What alternative do you have to establishing stricter boundaries in a Swiss cheese life plan?
It's the same as everyday life. Crossing a busy road is a calculated risk between how much of a hurry you're in vs waiting for a safe gap to appear. Sometime people get it wrong and end up on the 'wrong side'.

Do you think we should be aiming for a life where no-one ever leaves home, or even their room? Where all our supplies are made and delivered by automation?
That would be about as close to hell as I can imagine.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Do you need evidence to stop yourself licking the toilet seat?
Clearly you haven't seen recent research reports.

But the example is poor. I have no desire to lick the toilet seat. I do have a desire to go out and about and I do have a need to go shopping. So I want to balance the risks, and I can't do that without some sort of objective values/estimates to guide me.
And the government has the same problem really.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So much better if it's alive, you know it's fresh and it shows everyone how rich you are.
We didn't learn the lessons after SARs or bird flue, so why should my cultural traditions started in the last thirty years be restricted? ;)
Or H1N1 swine flu.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Do you think we should be aiming for a life where no-one ever leaves home, or even their room? Where all our supplies are made and delivered by automation?
That would be about as close to hell as I can imagine.
In the short term I see no viable alternative. We need to rethink our economic models and social behaviours to fit the world we have created.

Pandemics are products of overpopulation. Human viruses will spread quickly in a world populated by 8bn people.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I do have a desire to go out and about and I do have a need to go shopping.
We all find it hard to adjust to change; our higher reflective cognition is slower to act than our emotions.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have not been to a shop since my self-inflicted lockdown started, which was one week before the UK made its first announcement to seek herd immunity. I have dry rice to last 5 months, lentils and vitamin supplements to last about 2 months - dried food can be delivered by regular courier without supermarkets. I have fresh/frozen to last 2 weeks max. I have run out of boxed chocolates.
So that's where all the food went...

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
So that's where all the food went...
No. Very little of my food cupboard is hard to buy online, and I certainly will not be throwing anything away.

My pre-Covid routine included weekly food deliveries. My first delivery after UK scare was utterly decimated by the stockpiling of others. I reacted to this by adjusting my other pre-booked orders emphasising larger packaging and long-life variants. Each delivery was constrained by new policies of 2 or 3 duplicates. I am desperately low on milk. I have run out of pre-booked deliveries and do not qualify for new bookings.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How many "errors of judgement" are these people allowed? That's his second breach of his rules in a week. :rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 142 Posts