Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I managed to have a test drive of a 1st at West London VW in Brentford yesterday. Only 15 minutes or so, just up and back on a bit of the A4. (Very similar to what I was allowed in the Kia E-Niro earlier that day). Impressed with the ID3 (albeit this one had faulty heating and some warning lights on!) - very nippy, surprising (for someone new to EVs) amount of power, handles really nicely. There is a lot of hard plastic around but it looks decently put together. Touch sensitive buttons will take some getting used to, but that doesn't really put me off. Feels modern and, as much as I could tell from those roads, the ride seems decent enough.

Need to look at having some electrical work in my house (very small chance it'll be a show stopper, but hopefully not) before I can definitely place an order, but that short drive impressed me enough to pretty much convince me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I booked a test drive with a 1st edition plus at my local VW dealer. It was quite rainy so not going to give the best experience.
Dealer said I could go out by myself for 1/2 hour. Due to Covid-19, which is better for me, no body watching, restrictions etc.
I already knew about the gear selector so there was not much to show me before we left.

This is not a full review, just a record of my noob EV experience, perhaps many observations are wrong. Hey, I can only tell you what I thought of it.

Keyless entry
It was plugged in and charging, the charge light was green. Dealer couldn’t disconnect. Although approaching the car, it became unlocked, the doors could open, the cable could only be released if we used the key fob to unlock. Then the light went white. There were no fiddly hanging covers to deal with (Korean cars). Just push to close.
One other thing, it was completely boing less, unlike many Korean cars, not a single peep, just enter and drive, not a single warning noise.
While still on about noise, the VSS was inaudible, windows up and raining. I totally didn’t realise it was on. I guess different in summer with windows down..

Moving off
Engaging D at the carpark with footbrake pressed, I could see Auto Hold was on. I let go of the brake and the centre brake light stayed on (could see it in the reflection of the showroom window). Gently squeezed the accelerator and it moved gently, no snatching as the auto brakes let go. I was fearing it would let go suddenly and the car would lurch forward, so slow driving with auto hold is quite possible, even though it was my 1st time in this car. It felt nippy and nimble, accelerating to 30 in no time and not feeling it was going fast. Pulling away from traffic lights was a bit snatchy, lurching, the head went back uncomfortably. It is possible to go gently, but it had to be a conscious way to tap the pedal. To start the car rolling gently, then press harder. Pressing normally like a gas car, made it lurch. I guess it’s just user error.

Wipers
Pretty much everything was set to auto. Lights, wipers came on and all I had to do was drive off. It did feel the wipers, even though intermittent. were too fast for the amount of rain, so I used the stalk and moved the speed selector to minimum. It did automatically speed up when we went past a lorry which was kicking up a bit of spray.

Regen modes
Regen on D was present. I thought it would be zero, but there was plenty enough, more than my ICE car. I left it at D for a while to see if I could drive at that magic point where it was actually coasting. Not easy, it was either accelerating or regen. I just need more practice. Going downhill, I could see the green bar increasing, meaning it was applying more regen as it got faster. Yes, the car was accelerating downhill and the regen could not attenuate it enough. To summarise, regen G force is stronger the faster the speed which is reflected in how much green is highlighted. I saw it regen about 50% of the green bar when letting go at 40 mph.

Regen in B was stronger, a bit too strong for me. No doubt the brake lights came on. So followers would have thought I was touching the brake pedal every 20 meters, whereas in fact all I was doing was letting go and then applying the accelerator because it was slowing down too much. Obviously it will take getting used to, i.e. not to let go the pedal fully, but to release it a fraction instead. The so called one pedal driving. Yuck, why drive like that when the brake pedal does regen for you. B mode pretty much uses up all regen power when releasing from 40 mph, the green bar was fully lit up.

Regen with brake pedal. Regardless of the regen mode D or B, pressing the brake pedal will add additional regen to whatever is already generated. It was easy to modulate the pedal so that it gave a variable amount of regen. I much prefer this to one pedal driving. Of course, there will be a point when friction brakes kick in. When you need more than regen can give you and when driving very slowly (when regen is not possible). I noticed the friction brakes were being used when you are in creeping (automatic creep) mode, and coming to a full stop. e.g. parking or just following slow moving traffic. Full regen is actually quite strong. Meaning if you modulate the brake pedal to light up the green bar fully, it does feel more than sufficient to stop the car in normal driving. So those who want to eek the max and not use friction brakes, it is quite possible to drive and stop on regen alone.

ACC in traffic jams
I probably didn’t adjust it fully, but it was already set to follow the car in front 30 feet away up to 30 mph. It was not fully stop/go, I had to start it off, but it would stop all by itself. My foot hovered over the brake pedal as it did its thing (just in case). You could feel it moving the brake pedal for you. I felt it was braking (actually regen) a bit too late for my liking, I should have set the distance to follow to be greater. Maybe next time. Shame it does not accelerate from stop, I always had to manually start it off, but it then took over and caught up the car in front.

Speed limit Assist
I was also still ACC, it adjusted the speed according to what it thought was the speed limit. Which was displayed on the steering dash. I was doing 70 on a dual carriage way, then came up to some finished road works, a 50 sign went past and the car started to slow down (using regen of course). I overrode it because it was a false alarm. The cones were clearly moved away from the road and nobody was working. I only overrode it to 60, but letting go it reverted back to 50. At the next "national speed limit" sign, it then accelerated back to 70 by itself.

Lane Keep Assist
This was already on, but I didn’t notice it until I was on a smallish road with double white lines in the middle going round a left bend. Obviously no overtaking on a bend. It started to steer the car for me. I normally go to the edge of the white line to get max visibility for the bend, but the car wrenched the wheel and fixed my positioning. Ok, it was a gentle repositioning, but certainly anyone watching would think I was drunk. I think it needs to go an Advanced Driving Course.

Acceleration
It was OK, 0-60 was plenty sufficient, I was not blown away. I have driven a Tesla and that did blow my head away. But for general driving about, it was very nippy. 0-30 away from lights, without even trying, it was effortless. Simple overtaking on the motorway also effortless. Probably no different to a decent 200hp ICE car.

Refinement
Without a doubt a quiet car, but by no means anechoic quiet. There was road noise from the wheels coming through, no more and no less than a decent ICE car. I was hoping it was really quiet. No rattles or squeaks, but that is taken for granted from VW. Suspension comfort, was better than my Polo. It was a lot smoother with less noise on the bumps.

Steering touch controls
I thought they were touch sensitive, but IMO it was like a rocker switch. Meaning it actually moved a fraction with an audible click, haptic feedback was also present. I did not test fully, I actually have no idea if they would respond to a very light touch. The centre console touch bits did not move. That is what I call touch sensitive.

The Play/Pause pedals
While pretty to look at, I felt the brake pedal did not offer sufficient grip. It was raining when I tested the car. I pressed the brake to engage drive, but felt my foot slip around. Looking at the pedal, it has only 2 rubber bits to grip on. The rest was metal. I felt I had to wipe my shoe soles dry before I set off and feel safe. There was an extra click at the bottom of the accelerator pedal. Meaning you press harder to get past this resistance and it feels like a click. I was not in eco mode to test it, I suspect it was to get full power. It was in already sport mode so it made no difference.

Sport mode
It did not seem obvious I was in sport mode. It felt the same as comfort mode. I had full power, steering was same and accelerator sensitivity was the same. OK, I might be wrong, but honestly could not tell the difference. I only drove it for 1/2 hour. I didn’t drive it in eco mode. I probably would have felt that difference.

Auto hold
This was already on, I didn’t have time to find where it could be turned off. For most driving, it is very useful, no need to worry about hill starts or put car into park or neutral at lights, just take foot off the brake pedal and it stays put. Then accelerate and the brakes come off automatically. I did not like it for parking maneuverers. To move a couple of inches was difficult, one gingerly pressed the accelerator and it moves, but then you stab the brakes to stop it to discover it only moved one inch. I would have turned it off for parking and just used the creep and brake for small adjustments.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,030 Posts
I booked a test drive with a 1st edition plus at my local VW dealer. It was quite rainy so not going to give the best experience.
Dealer said I could go out by myself for 1/2 hour. Due to Covid-19, which is better for me, no body watching, restrictions etc.
I already knew about the gear selector so there was not much to show me before we left.

This is not a full review, just a record of my noob EV experience, perhaps many observations are wrong. Hey, I can only tell you what I thought of it.

Keyless entry
It was plugged in and charging, the charge light was green. Dealer couldn’t disconnect. Although approaching the car, it became unlocked, the doors could open, the cable could only be released if we used the key fob to unlock. Then the light went white. There were no fiddly hanging covers to deal with (Korean cars). Just push to close.
One other thing, it was completely boing less, unlike many Korean cars, not a single peep, just enter and drive, not a single warning noise.
While still on about noise, the VSS was inaudible, windows up and raining. I totally didn’t realise it was on. I guess different in summer with windows down..

Moving off
Engaging D at the carpark with footbrake pressed, I could see Auto Hold was on. I let go of the brake and the centre brake light stayed on (could see it in the reflection of the showroom window). Gently squeezed the accelerator and it moved gently, no snatching as the auto brakes let go. I was fearing it would let go suddenly and the car would lurch forward, so slow driving with auto hold is quite possible, even though it was my 1st time in this car. It felt nippy and nimble, accelerating to 30 in no time and not feeling it was going fast. Pulling away from traffic lights was a bit snatchy, lurching, the head went back uncomfortably. It is possible to go gently, but it had to be a conscious way to tap the pedal. To start the car rolling gently, then press harder. Pressing normally like a gas car, made it lurch. I guess it’s just user error.

Wipers
Pretty much everything was set to auto. Lights, wipers came on and all I had to do was drive off. It did feel the wipers, even though intermittent. were too fast for the amount of rain, so I used the stalk and moved the speed selector to minimum. It did automatically speed up when we went past a lorry which was kicking up a bit of spray.

Regen modes
Regen on D was present. I thought it would be zero, but there was plenty enough, more than my ICE car. I left it at D for a while to see if I could drive at that magic point where it was actually coasting. Not easy, it was either accelerating or regen. I just need more practice. Going downhill, I could see the green bar increasing, meaning it was applying more regen as it got faster. Yes, the car was accelerating downhill and the regen could not attenuate it enough. To summarise, regen G force is stronger the faster the speed which is reflected in how much green is highlighted. I saw it regen about 50% of the green bar when letting go at 40 mph.

Regen in B was stronger, a bit too strong for me. No doubt the brake lights came on. So followers would have thought I was touching the brake pedal every 20 meters, whereas in fact all I was doing was letting go and then applying the accelerator because it was slowing down too much. Obviously it will take getting used to, i.e. not to let go the pedal fully, but to release it a fraction instead. The so called one pedal driving. Yuck, why drive like that when the brake pedal does regen for you. B mode pretty much uses up all regen power when releasing from 40 mph, the green bar was fully lit up.

Regen with brake pedal. Regardless of the regen mode D or B, pressing the brake pedal will add additional regen to whatever is already generated. It was easy to modulate the pedal so that it gave a variable amount of regen. I much prefer this to one pedal driving. Of course, there will be a point when friction brakes kick in. When you need more than regen can give you and when driving very slowly (when regen is not possible). I noticed the friction brakes were being used when you are in creeping (automatic creep) mode, and coming to a full stop. e.g. parking or just following slow moving traffic. Full regen is actually quite strong. Meaning if you modulate the brake pedal to light up the green bar fully, it does feel more than sufficient to stop the car in normal driving. So those who want to eek the max and not use friction brakes, it is quite possible to drive and stop on regen alone.

ACC in traffic jams
I probably didn’t adjust it fully, but it was already set to follow the car in front 30 feet away up to 30 mph. It was not fully stop/go, I had to start it off, but it would stop all by itself. My foot hovered over the brake pedal as it did its thing (just in case). You could feel it moving the brake pedal for you. I felt it was braking (actually regen) a bit too late for my liking, I should have set the distance to follow to be greater. Maybe next time. Shame it does not accelerate from stop, I always had to manually start it off, but it then took over and caught up the car in front.

Speed limit Assist
I was also still ACC, it adjusted the speed according to what it thought was the speed limit. Which was displayed on the steering dash. I was doing 70 on a dual carriage way, then came up to some finished road works, a 50 sign went past and the car started to slow down (using regen of course). I overrode it because it was a false alarm. The cones were clearly moved away from the road and nobody was working. I only overrode it to 60, but letting go it reverted back to 50. At the next "national speed limit" sign, it then accelerated back to 70 by itself.

Lane Keep Assist
This was already on, but I didn’t notice it until I was on a smallish road with double white lines in the middle going round a left bend. Obviously no overtaking on a bend. It started to steer the car for me. I normally go to the edge of the white line to get max visibility for the bend, but the car wrenched the wheel and fixed my positioning. Ok, it was a gentle repositioning, but certainly anyone watching would think I was drunk. I think it needs to go an Advanced Driving Course.

Acceleration
It was OK, 0-60 was plenty sufficient, I was not blown away. I have driven a Tesla and that did blow my head away. But for general driving about, it was very nippy. 0-30 away from lights, without even trying, it was effortless. Simple overtaking on the motorway also effortless. Probably no different to a decent 200hp ICE car.

Refinement
Without a doubt a quiet car, but by no means anechoic quiet. There was road noise from the wheels coming through, no more and no less than a decent ICE car. I was hoping it was really quiet. No rattles or squeaks, but that is taken for granted from VW. Suspension comfort, was better than my Polo. It was a lot smoother with less noise on the bumps.

Steering touch controls
I thought they were touch sensitive, but IMO it was like a rocker switch. Meaning it actually moved a fraction with an audible click, haptic feedback was also present. I did not test fully, I actually have no idea if they would respond to a very light touch. The centre console touch bits did not move. That is what I call touch sensitive.

The Play/Pause pedals
While pretty to look at, I felt the brake pedal did not offer sufficient grip. It was raining when I tested the car. I pressed the brake to engage drive, but felt my foot slip around. Looking at the pedal, it has only 2 rubber bits to grip on. The rest was metal. I felt I had to wipe my shoe soles dry before I set off and feel safe. There was an extra click at the bottom of the accelerator pedal. Meaning you press harder to get past this resistance and it feels like a click. I was not in eco mode to test it, I suspect it was to get full power. It was in already sport mode so it made no difference.

Sport mode
It did not seem obvious I was in sport mode. It felt the same as comfort mode. I had full power, steering was same and accelerator sensitivity was the same. OK, I might be wrong, but honestly could not tell the difference. I only drove it for 1/2 hour. I didn’t drive it in eco mode. I probably would have felt that difference.

Auto hold
This was already on, I didn’t have time to find where it could be turned off. For most driving, it is very useful, no need to worry about hill starts or put car into park or neutral at lights, just take foot off the brake pedal and it stays put. Then accelerate and the brakes come off automatically. I did not like it for parking maneuverers. To move a couple of inches was difficult, one gingerly pressed the accelerator and it moves, but then you stab the brakes to stop it to discover it only moved one inch. I would have turned it off for parking and just used the creep and brake for small adjustments.
Great review!
I was specifically interested in the problem with the wet shoes on the designer pedals. I'm now pleased that the cheapest model which interests me most doesn't get the fancy pedals! I do like the look of them but hate when style obstructs function.

That's the sort of thing that I inevitably wouldn't find out on my own test drive.

Nice one!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Keyless entry

Moving off

Wipers

Regen modes

ACC in traffic jams

Speed limit Assist

Lane Keep Assist

Acceleration

Refinement

Steering touch controls

The Play/Pause pedals

Sport mode

Auto hold
Thanks for the extensive write up - I will be test driving one of these on Saturday. As a current Tesla Model S owner looking for my next EV I am really excited to try this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the extensive write up - I will be test driving one of these on Saturday. As a current Tesla Model S owner looking for my next EV I am really excited to try this.
Hope you enjoy that, be interested to know your thoughts - the one time I've been in a Model S I thought the ride was too firm for my liking. (That was 2 or 3 years ago now.)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
A Fully Charged review (so Robert style) of the ID.3 and some of the footage is out and about in the Cotswold, Stow-on-the -Wold etc. And The man says they are available (several of them) to test drive from the MK EV centre, so good call if local, but also VW dealers should now have them for test drives also.
And if you choose the MK EV centre you can for low cost have car for several days.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just back from an ID-3 test drive. I agree with Bobby. This is an impressive car. Well up there on my list when changing cars early next year.
My understanding is that there are no finger-tip controls for instant and easy adjustment of regen levels - some drivers would find that quite a drawback...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
My understanding is that there are no finger-tip controls for instant and easy adjustment of regen levels - some drivers would find that quite a drawback...
Correct. It is just like my old Leaf 24 with a simple and easy to access change from D to B, I found the set levels about right for the most common driving situations. D for open roads and motorways and an easy lever change to B for rural twisties and urban traffic. This isn't full one-pedal driving of course as even in B it is still only a moderate regen action. But it's enough for normal speed adjustments such as bends in the road. And if harder retardation is required the brakes are smooth and progressive and add more regen than B before the friction pads come in. Anyone who drove an early Leaf before OPD came in will understand.

I know what you mean about some drivers preferring the flappy paddles, and as an Ioniq owner, I was also apprehensive. But it's by no means a deal-breaker. After all, this kind of regen control is in a lot of EVs already and it's only Kia and Hyundai that have gone for hand controls. It soon becomes perfectly acceptable. As it did with me in my 60 minute test.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The D mode is extremely impressive because if you have an open road with no cars in the way it will just coast. If however there are cars in the way or if you are coming up to a roundabout when you lift your foot off the pedal then regen kicks in. I do not see the point of B mode as D mode automatically choices coasting or regen based on the road, it works superbly.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
The D mode is extremely impressive because if you have an open road with no cars in the way it will just coast. If however there are cars in the way or if you are coming up to a roundabout when you lift your foot off the pedal then regen kicks in. I do not see the point of B mode as D mode automatically choices coasting or regen based on the road, it works superbly.
I disagree with this as it gives potential drivers the wrong impression. There is no way that the car in D mode amends its regen level 'based on the road'. The driver does that. The level in D is very similar to stage one in Hyundai cars. The position of the accelerator pedal can apply power - or back off the power a bit to coast - or back off further to apply the basic regen retardation. The amendment is entirely due to driver intervention.

In mode B the same principle applies except that the level of regen is higher and allows the driver to use that to slow the car down more quickly by regen alone as the situation develops. In mode B it is still perfectly possible to set the pedal where the car is accelerating, or coasting, or retarding. The only difference is that the regen retardation is more effective in B than D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I disagree with this as it gives potential drivers the wrong impression. There is no way that the car in D mode amends its regen level 'based on the road'. The driver does that. The level in D is very similar to stage one in Hyundai cars. The position of the accelerator pedal can apply power - or back off the power a bit to coast - or back off further to apply the basic regen retardation. The amendment is entirely due to driver intervention.

In mode B the same principle applies except that the level of regen is higher and allows the driver to use that to slow the car down more quickly by regen alone as the situation develops. In mode B it is still perfectly possible to set the pedal where the car is accelerating, or coasting, or retarding. The only difference is that the regen retardation is more effective in B than D.
I have been driving the car for the past few days and it does amend the regen based on the road layout, speed signs and traffic. The driver does not do it, the car chooses the regen level for you in D mode. If you do not believe me watch Thomas show it on Autogefuhl video at position 30:18

It is incredible and seems to work every time, for me it is much better than the unintelligent B mode. Regeneration levels are also slightly different depending what mode you have it in such as comfort, eco or sport.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
.............................. the car chooses the regen level for you in D mode. If you do not believe me watch Thomas show it on Autogefuhl video at position 30:18 ..............
I believe that what you are reporting is the correct working of active cruise control and various lane keeping systems. The driver in that video refers to that being engaged. My Ioniq in ACC will also adapt its speed using regen if the car is catching up to a slower car. It is not adapting to the road at all. Just the traffic in front.

If you disengage ACC and other drive assistance you will find that the car once again becomes 'dumb' and will only speed, cruise, or slow down by your own input to the go pedal. And the same thing applies in both D and B modes.

I am happy to change this opinion if VW announces that they have made a breakthrough in intelligent systems and can cause the car to drive without ACC being set and to make its own decisions based on the road alone. Until then I maintain that the driver can decide to set Adaptive Cruise and let the car adjust its speed as seen in that video - Or to not set ACC and then take all decisions over whether to accelerate, coast, or allow regen to slow the car down themselves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe that what you are reporting is the correct working of active cruise control and various lane keeping systems. The driver in that video refers to that being engaged. My Ioniq will also adapt its speed using regen if the car is catching up to a slower car. It is not adapting to the road at all. Just the traffic in front.

If you disengage ACC and other drive assistance you will find that the car once again becomes 'dumb' and will only speed, cruise, or slow down by your own input to the go pedal. And the same thing applies in both D and B modes.

I am happy to change this opinion if VW announces that they have made a breakthrough in intelligent systems and can cause the car to drive without ACC being set and to make its own decisions based on the road alone. Until then I maintain that the driver can decide to set Adaptive Cruise and let the car adjust its speed as seen in that video - Or to not set ACC and then take all decisions over whether to accelerate, coast, or allow regen to slow the car down themselves.
Thomas specifically states at 30:36 that he does not have adaptive cruise control turned on. I will also tell you again that in D mode the car uses regen when there is a round-about or junction ahead etc with ACC turned off. It also coasts in D mode when the road is clear. This happens when the driver takes his foot off the pedal, the car in D mode decides intelligently to coast or use regen.

The ID.3 is not an Ioniq so obviously both cars work differently. Why do you not believe me? I have been driving the car for at least 5 days.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts