Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My I3 is almost 3 years old and I am looking to replace it.

I have just had a test drive in a Kona Electric Premium SE which I liked. The increased range over the I3 is good.

However I have a question that the sales rep couldn't answer (to be honest he didn't know much about anything!)

My question relates to delayed charging. I am on Octopus Go EV tariff so my I3 is set to charge itself up every night at 00.30hrs. This is a feature of the car - not the wall charger.

Does the Kona have the same capability?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, you can, via the onscreen options set scheduled charging times and also set whether you want to charge;

Only at those off peak times you set in which case charging will cease at the end of the set period

or

Off peak prioritised in which case if the battery needs longer than the off peak period to charge, then charging will continue till you reach the %charge set.

Easy to set and easy to override when you are out and want to use a type2 charger. There is a button with an amber light by the socket which you can push to override the above settings.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant - thanks for that information. Sounds even more flexible than the I3 although as I understand it there is no phone app available for the Kona (I may be wrong)

When I asked questions like this of the sales rep he looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. However, their test drive car only had 600 miles on the clock so they don't have any experience.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have this exact set-up; just remember that 4 hours isn't enough to fully charge the car. I keep it charged between about 35% and 80% by using these 4 hour charges every week or so, and occasionally do two nights in a row to take it up to 100% as recommended in the manual for battery balancing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2020 MY should have. If you order a new one make sure that is written on the order form if it's important to you as there might be older cars floating about still.
Sorry to be ignorant but what is '2020 MY'?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Brilliant - thanks for that information. Sounds even more flexible than the I3 although as I understand it there is no phone app available for the Kona (I may be wrong)

When I asked questions like this of the sales rep he looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. However, their test drive car only had 600 miles on the clock so they don't have any experience.
There will be a blue link app for the latest cars. I will leave it to someone with the Bluelink app to comment.

My dealer has only sold two EV Konas so far, yes its a learning curve for them, though they also sell the Ioniq which came out as an EV when launched. No excuses.

·
Registered
295 Posts
MY= Model Year

John

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Sorry to be ignorant but what is '2020 MY'?
MY= Model Year
For most makes it's cars made/sold from the autumn of the previous year. Historically this was because changes to production were made during the factory summer shutdowns.
With the time taken to move cars across the world now, and stock sometimes lying around for a while, it's a good idea to check what you will actually get before signing. Don't take a dealer's word for it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Easiest way to tell the difference currently is that the 2019 has a smaller screen in the middle with the buttons on each side. The 2020 had a wider screen with the buttons lined up underneath. At least the premium, not sure about the smaller models.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My I3 is almost 3 years old and I am looking to replace it.

I have just had a test drive in a Kona Electric Premium SE which I liked. The increased range over the I3 is good.

However I have a question that the sales rep couldn't answer (to be honest he didn't know much about anything!)

My question relates to delayed charging. I am on Octopus Go EV tariff so my I3 is set to charge itself up every night at 00.30hrs. This is a feature of the car - not the wall charger.

Does the Kona have the same capability?
Scheduled charging and departure time means if its plugged in it will precondition using the cable supply and not the battery heating or cooling(there isn't much call for cooling in ireland)

·
Registered
60 Posts
The screen as described in post #11 is the most obvious MY 2020 characteristic. I am fairly sure that the first delivery of MY 2020 cars arrived on 03 January 2020 and from then on all should have the app, which is called Blue Link and it seems to work fine for me.

One point to bear in mind is that, although supply at the moment seems quite good, this may be affected by the fact that Hyundai will shortly suspend production (of everything I think) because of the coronavirus outbreak which has disrupted the supply of parts (wiring looms).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It should also be mentioned it has location charging, so you can set a location and it will use GPS to only use off peak charging when at that location, the rest of the time it will charge as soon as you plug in

So if you set home as off peak only and use anytime for the rest saves you having to push the override button in the charging socket if its set to off peak only everywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts