Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new Zoe today and was hoping to charge overnight at home using my 7kW charger.
I can select cab pre-heat times but cannot schedule an overnight charge on Economy 7.
The "edit" icon does not function, and I expect this won't work until ZE services will accept my log-in details.
It seems really ridiculous that I need ZE services before the in-car charge timing programming functions.
Can this be correct ?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
Yup it correct. You set it in car but it's stored on a Renault server. It's not the most reliable feature.

Best bet is to plug the car in before you go to bed and save yourself the hassle of the timer not working.

·
Registered
678 Posts
And some of our cars stopped talking to ZE services on 30 March (in my case after taking 10 weeks to get the activation code) - cheers Renault!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
You need to switch driving mode back on, it's the forum, happened to other folk.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
637 Posts
I tried switching it off, with the intention of switching it back on, in the hope that it would fix my communication problem. It now says "Driving mode is currently being deactivated", and has been like that for 24 hours. It now won't let me do anything to turn it back on. It's booked into the dealer's tomorrow for investigation, but I'm concerned that my attempt to turn it off may affect what the dealer can do.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
You can turn driving mode on/off from the car too. If you get the message when you start the car about driving mode then you know it switched on (the one you can click Ok/change/language on but clears after a mile of driving). If your not getting that message your driving mode is switched off, so go into setting and its in there. :) If it still won't activate then it might be a TCU issue which dealer can switch on/off with Clip.

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I phoned the 0800 number stated on My ZE Connect sheet which I was given with the vehicle handover.
I got the famous " Welcome to Renault, Goodbye" message. I had read this previously on this forum but didn't quite believe at the time.
Anyway got through to Renault Customer Relations on 0845 335 0000 and was told to wait at least 72 hours. Was finally looked into properly and it needed a session on "clip" the Renault diagnostic system. My supplying dealership did want it all day and kept it all day, but they DO appear to have fixed it.
Basically the R-Link system was "disconnected". This can be checked via "status & info" - "network status".
I believe that the car when shipped should be "connected" when delivered, ie before the end of the 72 hours wait. Can anyone can confirm this ?
If "Data Sharing" is turned off then the car will be"disconnected", so check this via "Services" - "Settings".

The car needs to be connected to Renault before the charging timer is available.

As this system uses the mobile network ie cell phone I still have some concerns over the reliability of overnight charging. Will the overnight charge, when set from inside the car, still be reliant on the cellphone system ? I think it will, although it most certainly should not be.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
637 Posts
My ZOE spent a day with the dealer. It was diagnosed as needing a new TCU which is on order.

I'm intrigued how traffic reports are still received, although not as many as before the TCU died, it seems.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
637 Posts
Sorry, I meant the traffic info on the Sat-Nav. It still tells me about the ongoing 50mph limit on the M3 and the occasional hold-up on other routes, but is not as detailed as it used to be.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine was showing "connected...disconnected...connected", flipping every few seconds. Also the long serial number displayed on that same screen was corrupting every few seconds as well, with a number being replaced by a ? or a #.

It went in last week, after long emails with Renault Customer Services. Dealer put it through CLIP but "No faults found sir. I'm sure it will be ok now". I think that means they actually did nothing.

It's still exactly the same. So my Live traffic disappears every so often on a journey, and I get "TomTom cannot create a wifi connection" or similar on the screen every so often too, which is a very odd message. Also pre-heat doesn't always work, and charging start/stop emails don't always arrive.

I also have the dreaded click from the rear, and the graunch when turning full lock. Both of these the dealer said they couldn't hear.

It's going back in next week...

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My overnight timed charges from 3am have been working fine.
I set the time from inside the car and then plug in.
ZE services does not realise the car is set and plugged in, maybe due to poor cellnet comms, but the car still charges.
So I conclude that you initially need an Internet set up to enable the in-car charge timing, but once that is done then the car is not reliant on the cellnet signal so should be reliable.
So cheaper charging on economy 7, and cleaner overnight power when less/no coal is burnt.
Happy Days

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've had a good run with the charge timer until this week when it stopped working again, the website and app didn't even know the car was plugged in so I'm guessing the back end servers were playing up that night. The car is reliant on the connection for the charge timers to work, do not trust it if you will need the charge for an essential trip the next morning.

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Matt303, did you set the timer in the car or by the website ?

Just looked ar ZE online and car was 25% when it last connected 6pm yesterday. It says the car is still 25%, but I set an in-car charge at 7pm and the car is showing 100% on the car dashboard at 9am the next morning.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I always set it in car, when they we're making lots of changes/fixes to connected services a couple of months back my success rate with the timer was less than 50%, the car would still be showing the timer icon on the dash as if it was still waiting for 3am (or whatever time I'd set) in the morning.

As I said it's been quite good recently until this week, I've also had the app/website showing out of date info but that doesn't mean the car is having an issue talking to the back-end services, could just be an issue with the customer facing services.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
Feel free to comment on the ZE Services android app on the fact you now have to pay to get access to stuff that's in car. Might push Renault to reduce the price (£80 a year) or abolish it entirely. It is apparently entirely free for early Zoe owners.

·
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When my car is at home ZE online doesn't know when I've plugged in, and I know the mobile phone system coverage is poor on most networks at home.
The connected apps such as weather don't work at home, but generally do elsewhere.
Matt303's experience now has me thinking as to why my car timer charges reliably, well 3 out of 3 so far.
Could Renault's server be overriding the in-car setting by error. Or could Renault have changed the system on later cars?
I will do a trial in switching off data sharing and see if it still timer charges, but am loathe to do this just at present when it's working OK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts