Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, all. My shiny new MY20 '4' spec arrived a few days ago, and I've just switched my tariff to Octopus GO for charging it off peak.

I've got UVO set up, and I thought I'd done everything correctly. I've set an off-peak time of 1230-0430, and that slider is to the right (showing red). It's set to off-peak only. Status shows Charging Schedule as on. It's connected up with the 13A charger, which correctly had lights on. I have a message telling me that the Remote charge reservation was successful. But when I got up this morning, it hadn't actually charged at all.

Is there something else I need to do? I've just experimented with the big Start Charging button but, as expected, that starts charging immediately.

Do I need to do something in the car itself to tell it to accept the charging schedule?

Cheers
Jamie

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't have the UVO functionality, however had a similar issue as a new owner.

Check the charging limits that have been set.

If AC charging limit is set at 80% and your SOC is 82%, the scheduled charge won't start.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
I’ve not yet tried a timed charge but I think I read you also have to set a departure time too? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I know it must be a bit quirky as others have reported similar problems frequently. Maybe searching the forum might reveal some answers?

Peter

EDIT.... There's a similar thread here....

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’ve not yet tried a timed charge but I think I read you also have to set a departure time too? Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I know it must be a bit quirky as others have reported similar problems frequently. Maybe searching the forum might reveal some answers?

Peter
I think this is right. For some reason the Niro requires a departure time to be set to a time after the timed charge will finish even if this is not very relevant. I set the departure time and the only time it failed was when I forgot to turn the charging schedule on! Oh for a simple charging timer!

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
327 Posts
Mine has always worked so far, see screenshot. There must be a departure time set for this instance it was 3pm. Charge limit was set to 80%. This is on the 4+ did nothing in the car at all.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
327 Posts
Do a trial
Tick every day of the week under heading next departure time.
3.30pm next departure time
schedule charging set to on
Start 2.30pm
End 3.00pm
tick off-peak time only
Adjust times if you read this later.

ps make sure you have 12.30am and 04.30am in your schedule.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
327 Posts
Morning, all. My shiny new MY20 '4' spec arrived a few days ago, and I've just switched my tariff to Octopus GO for charging it off peak.

I've got UVO set up, and I thought I'd done everything correctly. I've set an off-peak time of 1230-0430, and that slider is to the right (showing red). It's set to off-peak only. Status shows Charging Schedule as on. It's connected up with the 13A charger, which correctly had lights on. I have a message telling me that the Remote charge reservation was successful. But when I got up this morning, it hadn't actually charged at all.

Is there something else I need to do? I've just experimented with the big Start Charging button but, as expected, that starts charging immediately.

Do I need to do something in the car itself to tell it to accept the charging schedule?

Cheers
Jamie
See my comments above

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, all. Yes, I have departure times set as well! It wouldn't let me set any off peak times until I had done so, so I simply told it I was departing at 10am every single day.

I did have the charge limit set to 100%; I have just set it to 80%. Will try again and see what happens tonight... thankfully I barely need to drive anywhere for the next few weeks!

Edit: so I've just connected the charge cable up. I am fairly sure that yesterday, it tried to start charging immediately, and tonight it has not - one green light is flashing in the dash but no current is flowing. Perhaps I messed up last night somehow! The 'status' screen has Charging - standing by showing, and 'charging schedule' as on. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, I found that if you connect the charger too soon after turning the car off, my charger starts immediately.

I know definitely if the light in the charging area is on, the charger will start immediately when you plug it in.

I have not experimented yet to see how soon after the light goes out I can plug in and have it "wait" for scheduled charging. A really poor implementation.

Greg

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't think this is documented in the manual, and very irritating, I park the car during the day, leaving the charging door open... then return before midnight and plug in the cable. Really a bad implementation, my Fiat had a charge now "button", and never started charging itself except to the schedule.

The requirement to have a departure time to be able to program for off peak is just idiotic. Way too complex as a default.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our new 4 turned up two weeks ago with faulty preconditioning - When I hit the “Start Aircon” button on UVO App it comes on for 5 seconds on the dashboard, then goes off again. Same when it’s set up with a departure time.

Be interested to hear if yours works as given the timing, I imagine they could both be from the same batch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it charged quite happily for four hours last night. And I took it out this morning, having asked the heater to bring it up to 20 degrees before I set off, and that seemed to work too. When I plugged it back in, the dash said it was waiting to charge according to the schedule.

So everything seems to be fine, and I am still not sure what the heck I did wrong first time around! Oh well.

i3S - do you have problems with the preheat or just the aircon? I've not yet tried the 'start aircon' button but I can give it a go later...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find the timed charging to be a little temperamental, so usually check on the app after the start time to see if it's charging. Last night it wasn't charging, I found the timed charging settings had switched themselves off, so I set them to on again, sent to the car and it immediately started charging.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Cheers
Jamie
I gave up with the UVO app for things and now set the schedule via the EVSE charger itself

·
Registered
538 Posts
i3S - do you have problems with the preheat or just the aircon? I've not yet tried the 'start aircon' button but I can give it a go later...
Ah, well there’s the thing. For UVO, “A/C” refers to “heating”, “aircon” and “HVAC” 🤪

When you hit Start Aircon in the remote, plugged in or not, whatever you’ve set in HVAC settings in the App (temperature, heated rear window and mirrors and steering wheel along with screen blower) should switch on in the car.

For us it comes on for 5 seconds only then goes off again. That’s any state of charge. Full or otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's what I discovered the uvo app turns off scheduled charge when it closes. Test it go into app, set charge time, send to car, refresh. Status says scheduled charge on. Close app go back in says scheduled charge off refresh back to on. The answer is don't close the app let it sit in background.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's what I discovered the uvo app turns off scheduled charge when it closes. Test it go into app, set charge time, send to car, refresh. Status says scheduled charge on. Close app go back in says scheduled charge off refresh back to on. The answer is don't close the app let it sit in background.
What’s your definition of closing an app and why would you do that anyway?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts