Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Zoe since 2016 and never been able to do scheduled charging. I put this down to poor O2 reception and never considered it further. I'm moving house in the near future and will be on economy 7 so really want to be able to do overnight charging - is this only possible if I have the paid for connected services?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My understanding of using the connected services schedules is that if you top up while away from home it won't charge as the schedule is set, so better way is to have a smart home charger that you can set a timer on then you're free to charge when away and don't need to pay for the connected services.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i haven't done it yet but can't you set the timer in the car.
apparently the timer schedule must be set on the weekly side of it others may know more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never been able to set timer in the car - it's greyed out. I'm not sure if it's due to lack of O2 reception or cos I don't pay for connected services.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I thought timing had to come from the car or it would go into 'sleep' mode.
Nope, my charger is currently set to charge between 8pm and 11am, am not on a smart meter to get cheaper rates at different times so i did this to test that it would work and works perfect, just waiting for me smart meter.

If you schedule it in the car then it won't charge when you stop for a top up during the day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
are you meaning from RLink or the car.
yes you just cancel them as above if you go elsewhere, but the calendar uses the settings for charge planning.
use the interface.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,373 Posts
i haven't done it yet but can't you set the timer in the car.
apparently the timer schedule must be set on the weekly side of it others may know more.
I thought timing had to come from the car or it would go into 'sleep' mode.
Correct, this doesn't work at all. However, some chargers have a possibility to connect a "dry contact" (usually implied for i.e. a key lock), and if properly implemented, ZOE will not fall asleep. My previous KEBA charger had this perfectly implemented.

Having said that, more recently I did a bit of testing on my Q210, and I am inclined to say that with the BCB/LBC update I had 2 years ago, this behavior has changed. It seems now that as long as a cable is connected (even if the other end is open), the car will not fall asleep. If somebody could confirm this, that would be neat. Either remove power from a tethered charger, plug in, wait half an hour, and see if charging starts when power is re-applied, or, for an untethered charger, plug in car side, leave charger side open, and only plug in after half an hour. If indeed it has changed, a timer of sufficient current rating would do too. In any case, charger based timing is IMHO far, far better than car based timing, but that discussion has been rehashed a few times already.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I put this down to poor O2 reception and never considered it further.
The car itself is using EE's mobile network. You can tell from looking at network status and seeing the Mobile Country Code and the Mobile Network Code and looking them up on the list.

It's my understanding that once you setup scheduled charging it's sent to the car and then should operate without any mobile network (so long as the charging cable is plugged in).

As @yoh-there has said there may also be differences in behaviour between software versions on the car, at your next service (or before) it would be worth asking your dealer to update all of the on-board computers to ensure you get whatever behaviour everyone else is now getting.

As for the difference between the connected services and the R-Link. R-Link is the screen / satnav inside the car, connected services is a little box behind the dash that you won't be able to see, connecting to Renault and being controllable from the Z.E Services website (or the long awaited MY Renault app). You typically would use it to view how much charge your car has etc. remotely.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To add to what others have said and to come back to one of your original questions: timed charging, whether set using the in-car screen, the app or the website, relies on a Connected Services subscription.

Renault being Renault, this is overcomplicated by having two different types of subscription, one theoretically for the "read only" parts (checking battery level) and one for the "write" part (setting charge schedule, remote pre-heating or cooling) but anecdotal evidence on here suggests that most people at Renault don't understand the difference, and I'm not even sure there is a difference other than the paperwork.

As for "if you set a schedule it won't charge when you need it to on a long trip" - that's why you can also turn the schedule off... 🙄

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, I'm still pretty confused. The comfort timer seems to work but the charging scheduler is in green on the screen in the car but doesn't let me select anything. The calendar charging is greyed out. When I got the car they told me thecharge point relied on O2 and as we have no reception they did not enable that aspect of the charge point. EE reception is a little better but not reliable, perhaps this why the comfort timer has started to work .
in summary then:
-if I want to get scheduled charging to work from the car I need to activate/register something with Renault but not necessarily pay anything.
-when we move, I should get a charge point with a timer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The system, layout and user experience is a joke. Anyway...

You need a subscription to set the Charge Scheduler in the car. It's £18/year. (After the original 3 years runs out - if it was ever activated I guess!)

An Rlink account is required to resubscribe and see what other updates and apps are available for your car. You'd need ZE Interactive and ZE Connect - one is free, the other the £18.

However, check your car is actually connecting to their network first though... In the 'Network Status' menu option. If not, prepare for frustration. I resubscribed in July and it's still not working. 3 months of lovely Octopus Go tariff missed out on! Sigh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks @foureyes this is what I expected.
Think I'll have to sit down with a calculator and see if economy 7 is going to be more hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The connected services on the Zoe are incredibly poor.

I emailed the rlink support and got the code and they gave out free Connected Services and such like so it's worth seeing what you can get as a freebie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As for "if you set a schedule it won't charge when you need it to on a long trip" - that's why you can also turn the schedule off... 🙄
That reply would have been fine if all you'd said is you can quickly turn off schedules to charge during day etc, but what I was saying is that you have to remember to set and unset them, where as a smart charger that can have schedules on it means you don't need to worry.

Not really any need for the way your putting that comment am being helpful that is all but you're the type of person who reminds me why I shouldn't even bother being on a forum.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That reply would have been fine if all you'd said is you can quickly turn off schedules to charge during day etc, but what I was saying is that you have to remember to set and unset them, where as a smart charger that can have schedules on it means you don't need to worry.
Sorry that you interpreted my comment in such a negative way - that was not my intention.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't see your comment as negative - it clarified the point that you can simply switch the car over to always charging.
My schedule (unpredictable shift work, on calls, occasional longer trips,) means I would never use calendar based charging anyway, whether from car or charger. I just want the option of plugging in and delaying the start time to after midnight.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts