Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone can help i have set what I believe to be timed charging to take advantage of the better electricity rates. I needed to drive the car yesterday and when I got home plugged in and central control stated that vehicle will charge at preferred times. I awoke this morning to find the car has missed its charge which is particularly frustrating (this has happened before by the way) have read the manual but fear am I commiting a schoolboy error!! Any help/advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
527 Posts
Which version of the software is your car on? The timed charging mostly doesn't work on any version before 2.1 (0792). It has become slightly more usable on the later versions, but still is not very reliable. It also needs quite specific & not exactly intuitive settings. I'm not sure anyone has fully worked out how it's supposed to work yet.

Setting up both a departure time and a preferred charging window seems to counteract both, usually resulting in no charge.

I don't need the departure times at the moment due to not going into work, so have not tested them enough to get them working. I have worked out though that when a preferred charging time is set, the car will try to time the charge to be complete at the end of its charging window, not just start at the beginning. It invariably gets this wrong & leaves the car under-charged.

So as an example - car is at 65%, max charge set to 80% with my preferred charge window at 20:30 to 01:30 for Go Faster. Last time I plugged in, the car started to charge at 00:45 & stopped at 01:30 as it thought it would charge more quickly than it did. It stopped at 75%. I have figured out a workaround may be to set 2 or 3 different smaller windows, to force the car to charge more often & hopefully actually reach the target. I haven't needed to charge again since but that's the plan...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wonder if anyone can help i have set what I believe to be timed charging to take advantage of the better electricity rates. I needed to drive the car yesterday and when I got home plugged in and central control stated that vehicle will charge at preferred times. I awoke this morning to find the car has missed its charge which is particularly frustrating (this has happened before by the way) have read the manual but fear am I commiting a schoolboy error!! Any help/advice would be appreciated
What type of charger do you have and is it trying to do anything smart ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. In answer to questions posed I have a podpoint charger. I ran the overnight charge last night and bizzarely it worked and awoke this morning to the 80% required charge. I will keep persisting and se what the pattern is

·
Registered
Zoe 50 GTLine
86 Posts
Anyone actually worked out how to set the damn thing up?
What are the 0-50% and 50-100% sliders for?
Why is it so complicated?
Why on earth did VW include 'location'?
So they released 2.1 AKA 792 - did anyone bother to test it?
Wasted a couple of hours reading the book and the in car 'manual'. Prehaps a few examples would help - how to charge on Octopus GO for example.
Rant almost over.
During my various attemps I did actually see a white timer active sybol or Icon - but couldn't get the thing back. Anyway after not charging last night it added insult to injury by the ID.Light flashing red with a red 'cable coonected symbol'. on the dash - sorry binacle or thing infront of the driver. Three miles from home - and the cable was not connected - I would have noticed. Come on VW - instead of pissing about with 'ID Light' get the basics working.
Don't mention Traffic/Speed sign recognition.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
515 Posts
I've just had my Octopus smart meter fitted so I'm going to have to get the hang of how to do scheduled charging on my Zappi, if I figure it out I'll let you know but so far I'm thinking it'll involve spinning round 3 times whilst patting my head and chanting "Hell-O-ID, Hell-O-ID!"

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've just had my Octopus smart meter fitted so I'm going to have to get the hang of how to do scheduled charging on my Zappi, if I figure it out I'll let you know but so far I'm thinking it'll involve spinning round 3 times whilst patting my head and chanting "Hell-O-ID, Hell-O-ID!"
Sorry to disappoint you in your artistic endeavours, but it’s actually very easy to set it on the Zappi.

Delete any charging times or locations on the vehicle.

Put the Zappi in ‘Eco+’

Add a boost timer for the off peak charging times.

Plug the car in, if you haven’t got solar the Zappi should say ‘Waiting for surplus’.

The charge port on the car will go red after about 30 seconds, but charging will start at the time set.

This is assuming your ID3 is on 2.1, there were issues with previous software versions, but my car - which came with 2.1 installed - has successfully charged 3 or 4 times using this method.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
515 Posts
I'll give that a go I still had a location set so I guess that might have been the problem

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you in your artistic endeavours, but it’s actually very easy to set it on the Zappi.

Delete any charging times or locations on the vehicle.

Put the Zappi in ‘Eco+’

Add a boost timer for the off peak charging times.

Plug the car in, if you haven’t got solar the Zappi should say ‘Waiting for surplus’.

The charge port on the car will go red after about 30 seconds, but charging will start at the time set.

This is assuming your ID3 is on 2.1, there were issues with previous software versions, but my car - which came with 2.1 installed - has successfully charged 3 or 4 times using this method.
Exactly I was updated to 2.1 yesterday and this method which didn't work on 564 now does, from what I've seen it's a much easier method than all the in car settings. Prior to that version I had to use eco mode on the Zappi and plug it in as close to the cheap rate time as possible, I got a few hours of charging at 1.4kw before it hits the boost timers and it charged properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts