Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
How much are you saving putting this in? Worth voiding the warranty?
Good question.

I have an M3P. I add maybe 25kWh overnight (though it is quite lumpy).

With my current supplier that costs 13p kWh, so £97.50 a month.

If I use the Go tariff I can just about get 25kWh into the cheap 5p window, so costing me £37.50 per month.

So monthly saving of £60.

It will pay for itself in 10 months.

Podpoint I have is around 18 mths old, not sure how much warranty I have left anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good question.

If I use the Go tariff I can just about get 25kWh into the cheap 5p window, so costing me £37.50 per month.

Podpoint I have is around 18 mths old, not sure how much warranty I have left anyway.
3 years. If it’s under warranty they come out and fix it. If it’s not £150 call out fee, £220 odd for new pcb, £150 new lead?

Which ev cars don’t have a timer built in?

·
Registered
233 Posts
3 years. If it’s under warranty they come out and fix it. If it’s not £150 call out fee, £220 odd for new pcb, £150 new lead?

Which ev cars don’t have a timer built in?
Not many that actually work well or are easy to adjust especially on agile. The beauty of this is it costs £10 and with ifttt it can do much more than many smart chargers on the market now. As far as warranty it’s easy to remove and aside from the 12v supply it’s not even attached to the pod point it’s only switching the signal lead from the car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
And has significant value on eBay etc.
Good point... I did wonder whether my current charger could be sold and replaced with something more sophisticated ( not sure what that would be, Ohme as I will be on Octopus?).

Not in a hurry to replace it, happy to try the "forum mod" once I get Agile.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good point... I did wonder whether my current charger could be sold and replaced with something more sophisticated ( not sure what that would be, Ohme as I will be on Octopus?).

Not in a hurry to replace it, happy to try the "forum mod" once I get Agile.
I have the Ohme as well and definitely it is cheaper than most and works well with agile. Starting and stopping same as the relay fix but calculates the cheapest times each day for you where as the relay needs you to tell it what price you want charging below and you have to make sure enough blocks are below that price so it’s fully charged.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good question.

To make that saving you would have to drive 30,000 miles a year at around 3.5 miles / kWh averaged over the year.

Average mileage in the UK is around 9,000 miles a year.

9000 / 3.5 = 2571kWh

At 15p per kWh that comes out at £385 a year for "fuel".

You will have to drive a lot of miles to make a saving of £60 a month.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I have the Ohme as well and definitely it is cheaper than most and works well with agile. Starting and stopping same as the relay fix but calculates the cheapest times each day for you where as the relay needs you to tell it what price you want charging below and you have to make sure enough blocks are below that price so it’s fully charged.
How long does it take to set each day and have you used it enough times to tell if it gives a reliable charge or not?
As you know I have been wondering whether to get two board for the Zappi's but been too busy the last week and haven't had time to look into it. If it still need setting each day I may as well carry on with the timers on the Zappi. They only take a minute or two to set, it is the checking back after a while to see if it has transfered to the Zappi that is the most annoying.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How long does it take to set each day and have you used it enough times to tell if it gives a reliable charge or not?
As you know I have been wondering whether to get two board for the Zappi's but been too busy the last week and haven't had time to look into it. If it still need setting each day I may as well carry on with the timers on the Zappi. They only take a minute or two to set, it is the checking back after a while to see if it has transfered to the Zappi that is the most annoying.
If your using IFTTT you have to set the off upper trigger and the on lower. I quickly found it does take some effort same as your timers do. Now it you want a simple on at x time off at x time that’s easier but ultimately the same as you are doing. It seems reliable although that’s over about a week. I mostly use the Ohme as it’s miles easier. One tap and it’s sorted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not many that actually work well or are easy to adjust especially on agile. The beauty of this is it costs £10 and with ifttt it can do much more than many smart chargers on the market now. As far as warranty it’s easy to remove and aside from the 12v supply it’s not even attached to the pod point it’s only switching the signal lead from the car.
You’re right they’ll never know, unless you put photos of your pcb, psl or name on the internet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also, pp doesn’t have any security screws ect so they obviously they are not that bothered that someone could have opened it.
Why would they be? You open it you void warranty, it’s not as if we can by bits for the security screws (which do come in box)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why would they be? You open it you void warranty, it’s not as if we can by bits for the security screws (which do come in box)
I know what you mean. I’m just saying your probably not going to get a you opened it so no warranty stance from pp. compared to other manufacturers that do have security screws. Yes, you can buy them but the average joe doesn’t have them it the toolbox.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If y
I know what you mean. I’m just saying your probably not going to get a you opened it so no warranty stance from pp. compared to other manufacturers that do have security screws. Yes, you can buy them but the average joe doesn’t have them it the toolbox.
If you’ve posted pictures on the internet you definitely will.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I’d say that was a given. Also, I think most people here wouldn’t be claiming warranty if they caused the unit to malfunction.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I mostly use the Ohme as it’s miles easier. One tap and it’s sorted.
I think I would do the same if it was simple but then I would loose the Zappi's ability to charge form the solar excess, and I'd need 2 of them so would be long time recovering the £600 it would cost to change them.
I quickly found it does take some effort same as your timers do
Ok, thanks. That has answered that question and I am probably going to just carry on setting manual timers until myenergi get around to writing the code so we can use Agile with the Zappi and Eddi. From a post on their forum a few days ago they are struggling to recruit staff who are capable of doing the work they are taking a long time to fix issues let alone develop new features. Problems of a fast growing company with offices in the middle of the countryside I guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I t
I think I would do the same if it was simple but then I would loose the Zappi's ability to charge form the solar excess, and I'd need 2 of them so would be long time recovering the £600 it would cost to change them.

Ok, thanks. That has answered that question and I am probably going to just carry on setting manual timers until myenergi get around to writing the code so we can use Agile with the Zappi and Eddi. From a post on their forum a few days ago they are struggling to recruit staff who are capable of doing the work they are taking a long time to fix issues let alone develop new features. Problems of a fast growing company with offices in the middle of the countryside I guess.
Unfortunately I think with solar the Zappi is probably going to beat out any other options. Also, swapping one timer for another isn’t the solution. ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I have been using this since I first put it up on the site it has a daily on off time set to repeat every night and as such saves me having to plug it in at 0:30 I can just plug it in when I get in and let the rest do the work.
to fit it takes just a couple of mins to fit and just as long to remove leaving nothing behind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having had a quick look in the smart Rolec unit there is access to 12v and 5v which could be used to power a sonoff switch . It does look like there is only one control line (CP) being used to communicate with the car I could not see the PP line going out of the unit. This CP line ,I think is the modulated 12v link that could be relay controlled by a sonoff switch to delay the handshake to the car and thus overcome the MG problem of requiring the charge to start within a short time period of plugging in.
Am I right in thinking that Rolec units dont use the PP control line to lock the plug in place but rely on the car being locked to hold the plug in place at the car end? View attachment 128384 View attachment 128385 View attachment 128386 View attachment 128387
As an update I have been using my wifi moded Rolec unit for over 2 months now with the £10 wifi board switching the CP line using the internal 12v supply from the Rolec unit. It works fine under the timer triggering on at 0030 to start the car charging or I can just speak to google and turn on a boost charge at any time. I have also switched to the offer of 300 miles free cgarging per month from Igloo, so far it works well.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts